Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WJTW

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2006
Agreed. Just downloaded the application, and it felt cooler. No more heat on my palms and hands when I type. I like hearing the sound of the fans whirring inside, especially at the 6000RPM setting. :)

Does this program work on G5/non-Intel Macs too? The requirements did say Mac OS 10.4 (Intel), though...

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Denmark
Well, I must have a freak of a MacBook..... I'm running a week 39 MacBook, browsing, while at the same time converting a movie from avi to mp4, with h.264 encoding (using visualhub), and the temperature is 19C (measured with iStat Nano and CoreDuoTemp).

The fans are running, CPU running constantly at 60-80%, and the machine is warm, not hot. The same second the conversion finished (while writing this), the fans quit. CPU now running at 3-14%.

Go figure...:D

WJTW

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2006
19C?! That's even lower than what I get when the air-conditioner is turned on! Could there be some problems with the temperature sensors?

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Denmark
WJTW said:
19C?! That's even lower than what I get when the air-conditioner is turned on! Could there be some problems with the temperature sensors?

I doubt it, although my ambient is pretty low at the mom (around 18C). When I did the 'yes > /dev/null' test in two terminal windows, the temperature went up to between 56-62C, so the difference seems OK, compared to other reports. It's just the baselines that are way low compared to others.

:EDIT: Just to add a point to that, I've got an iBook G4, which runs way hotter than the MacBook. Subjectively its the difference between feeling a slight warmth on your lap (the MacBook), and 'just... type... the... last... characters... before... I... dump... the... machine... on... the... floor' (the iBook). It really is that much cooler.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Mine hovers arud 38C when fans on full. The room is quite warm though.

WJTW

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2006
I doubt it, although my ambient is pretty low at the mom (around 18C). When I did the 'yes > /dev/null' test in two terminal windows, the temperature went up to between 56-62C, so the difference seems OK, compared to other reports. It's just the baselines that are way low compared to others.
Ah, ok. Winter over there? Here it is 30C +- everyday...

So... anyone tried using this program on G5/non-Intel systems?

frogfroggy

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2006
My computer is running at 29*C WITHOUT the fan either the coreduotmp program is busted or my Macbook just rocks, wonder what happens if I turn on the fan ^^

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
this is MUCH cooler :cool:
g5_cooler.jpg

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
Just found this app while browsing the fora at MacNN. Loaded it on my MBP and I'm jazzed. Running BOINC it runs steady at 172F, turn on the fans to 6k and it drops to 145-150. The case is actually cool to touch. This is what we've needed from the start for our MBPs.

Oops sorry for the English units - 83C at Max, fans at 3k stock - fans at 6k, MBP at 63-66C, Ambient 23.1C

re WJTW - dialog box " You are running FanControl on an unsupported machine!" and the button says "I will quit!"

Z

andrewmulligan

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2006
I don't like hearing the fans.
It bothers me a little bit that they're always on after the firmware update and I don't want them to be any louder.
The 6000RPM setting is kind of funny though. Sounds like a toy airplane taking off. :D

joebells

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
Edit: Picture is gone now so disregard

I like the little holes in the mockup whoever did it forgot to take off the latch part though on the lid.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
Now all we need is someone to fix the stupid bug with the CoreDuo that's making my temps stick to the reading it gets when it first boots! ARGH!

They worked fine for a day. Then they just didn't. ARGH!:mad: :rolleyes:

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
Just having a look through the Apple Discussion Board topics on this (where the creator of smcFanControl posts updates), am I right in saying that the program just alters the MINIMUM settings of the fan, but the normal stuff still applies, i.e., when it heats up the fans will still ramp up, then back down?

Cheers, Karl

nmamur

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2006
new york
yes, from my experiances, this does indeed drain the battery a little bit.
Depending on your rpm, you'll probably see a decrease from 5 to 15 percent.
also, i just wanna throw in that pushing ur fan to 6000 will probably kill the motor at one point...use very sparingly.

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
I have already had one fan(left) replaced in my 15"MBP. When I took it to the Apple Store, the Genius that was to do the repair said it was simple and quick to fix. If this does indeed shorten the life of the fans, I guess I'll find out. The drop in temp is worth replacing a fan every now and then. It's good to be a Sr. Mech-Elec Tech when things like this break. Seriously considered opening it up to reapply thermal paste until I heard the results were less than stellar. Still have a tube of Arctic Silver if I open it up...

For monitoring, check out CoreDuoTemp by Jonathan Pepin

Z

Pennstate

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2005
Apple must have updated the MacBook hardware.

I just bought a week 37 Macbook white. It does not run hot at all! Even without the smc program, it is just slightly warm even at full load (both cpus).

My theory is that they are getting better batches of core duos. Or maybe, the new motherboards have newer steppings of various IC chips.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
MalcolmJID said:
Just having a look through the Apple Discussion Board topics on this (where the creator of smcFanControl posts updates), am I right in saying that the program just alters the MINIMUM settings of the fan, but the normal stuff still applies, i.e., when it heats up the fans will still ramp up, then back down?

Cheers, Karl

Don't think so. I had my MBP running this at the 3000 or 3500 setting, then started batching a bunch of big photos, and it didn't ramp up the fans and my CPU was hitting 91c (which is what it does when the fans are idling, after which they usually kick in full blast) and no fan acceleration. I had to run the default script again and they ramped up normally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.