Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:40 AM   #1
yellow

SaladMaster? Do you use it, or have you used it? Opinions?

My wife and I are considering purchasing some of the pots/pans.

Have you used, or do you use SaladMaster products?

What are your opinions?

Thanks!
yellow is offline   0
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Cube54
macrumors regular

I just checked Consumer Reports On-Line for their recommendations & ratings and they don't have this Brand listed at all for North America. Can you provide more detail?
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:53 PM   #3
yellow

http://www.saladmaster.com/

Well, it's a cooking system.. all the pots are non-porous surgical stainless steel, so no flavors get through in comparison to steel/aluminum/teflon. Plus, since the cores are all thick layers of aluminum and some Al-alloys, the heat is very consistent and it cooks at a very low heat (medium until it reaches temp and then you turn on low). It also requires little to no water and allows for oil-free or low-oil cooking, which is more healthy (low-fat/less nutritive loss). It also cooks really quickly, in 40 minutes (I'm talking prep->table) this lady prepped & cooked 4 chicken thighs, cabbage, peas, corn, carrots, a chocolate cake (cooked on the stove top), and a salad. Etc, etc, blah, blah, blah..

But it's REALLY expensive. And I'm talking.. REALLY expensive. Calphalon is dime store in comparison.
yellow is offline   0
Old Oct 16, 2006, 01:39 PM   #4
nbs2
macrumors 68030

I don't know nothing about them, but I jsut filled out the contact form to learn more about them. Seems interesting...
Old Oct 16, 2006, 02:51 PM   #5
Clydefrog
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Clydefrog
Best Pots and pans made, the viking of cookware

http://206.210.90.92/
Old Oct 16, 2006, 03:41 PM   #6
mactastic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydefrog
Best Pots and pans made, the viking of cookware

http://206.210.90.92/
I was just thinking as I clicked your link "this better take me to an All-Clad site".

Oh and BTW, the term "viking of cookware" is probably not such a good one. Viking corp. makes pretty good cookware, but it is not quite as nice as what All-Clad puts out.

I'd also have accepted the Le Cruset site for dutch oven type cookware.

Personally I'm skeptical of anyone who promises that their cookware can do all that the Saladmaster people claim it can. I'm also skeptical of "gadgety" stuff like the "turn the temperature down" indicators on the lids. I'm heartened that they do appear to be using aluminum cores sandwiched between layers of stainless steel - but that's hardly a new idea. All-Clad has been doing that for decades.

I'm also not a fan of cookware with plastic handles. While it appears that these can be removed, the plastic lid handles don't look like they come off, which means these very expensive pieces of cookware cannot transition between the stovetop and the oven, which I do quite often.

Also, low heat cooking robs you of much of the flavor development potential of fond, the browned bits on the bottom of a pan that develop after searing at high temperatures.

I dunno... if you're not into cooking all that much these products might be worth a look. But if you're not into cooking all that much, just buy some cheaper Analon or Circulon cookware, or other mid-priced manufacturers. And if you are really into cooking, you want to use what the pros use. And that's stuff like All-Clad.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 04:38 PM   #7
Clydefrog
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Clydefrog
the all-clad manufacturing plant is 1hr away from me. Every year they have a sale where they get rid of minor defected items. HUGE steals. Last year my family got the stainless wok for $100
Old Oct 16, 2006, 04:44 PM   #8
mactastic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydefrog
the all-clad manufacturing plant is 1hr away from me. Every year they have a sale where they get rid of minor defected items. HUGE steals. Last year my family got the stainless wok for $100
Ah you lucky sonofa!

I still need a 4qt sauce pan with lid, a steamer insert for those 8" pans, and a 12" nonstick fry pan for my collection. A saucier in the 3qt range would also be nice...
Old Oct 16, 2006, 05:29 PM   #9
oldschool
macrumors 65816

salad master are ridiculous...they do those demos in cities all over the place. They come in and cook food for people who can't really cook and make it seem like its some miracle cookware...it's just regular cookware at an irregular price.
oldschool is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:07 AM   #10
OutThere
macrumors 603

Saladmaster seems like a gimmick from their website...I'm not sure how it compares in price to other stuff though.

All Clad is where it's at, as was said before. Their cookware is excellent. Hands down. No gimmicks, just pots and pans at your service. My family has a good amount of All-Clad pans, and I have cooked much food on them with many quality results.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:37 AM   #11
The Mad Kiwi
macrumors 6502

That saladmaster stuff is junk, you can tell by looking at the website. Plastic handles..............
The Mad Kiwi is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 02:01 AM   #12
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

We just wait for the seasonal 50% and 70% off sales on Lagostina or whatever 'decent' brand at Sears or wherever. The markup on cookware is insane, like Monster Cable insane. Why someone would pay top dollar for a heavily promoted brand like SM apparently is - baffles me.

Yeah, various companies have peddled the "waterless, stainless steel, tight lid" thing under lots of brand names for 30 years or more - sounds like this is the latest. Did they pull the "And you know, teflon/copper/aluminium is found in Alzheimer's patients brains, so teflon/copper/aluminum cookware is deadly" schtick?

Step through their claims with a critical eye and they are either meaningless ("non-porous, surgical") or equally applicable to any cookware with a half decent base and a tight lid.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 02:53 AM   #13
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

In my eyes, there is very little difference between mid/normal priced cookware, and high end stuff, and the difference I might notice probably has to do with the chef.

Mid-range stuff is probably more than fantastic.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 05:45 PM   #14
Debb S
macrumors newbie

Debb S

I have the whole set of Saladmaster pots and pans along with the electric skillet. I have had them for about 20 years and I LOVE them. They look great and will last a lifetime. But my husband doesn't like them. He doesn't like the fact that they're not teflon so you need to clean them with bon ami or stainless cleaner. I don't mind myself. So eventually I will sell them to pacify him.

If you would like more info you can email me at debsohler@aol.com.

They are great pans! I was checking google today to see what they go for now.

Good luck in your info search. If you do buy a new set you won't be sorry as they will last a lifetime. I belive I spent $600 for mine 20 years ago and $200 for the electric skillet at that time.
Debb S is offline   0
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:30 PM   #15
heyhomarina
macrumors newbie

I Have Had My Saladmaster Pots And Pans For 22 Years. They Still Look Relatively Brand New. I Have Never Seen Any Other Pots And Pans Stand Up To Time And Abuse.

I have had Saladmaster for 22 yrs. I love mine. Go for it.

Last edited by mkrishnan; Jan 30, 2008 at 08:13 PM.
heyhomarina is offline   0
Old Dec 30, 2007, 07:09 PM   #16
lillypad5
macrumors newbie

saladmaster

I have used Saladmaster pots everyday for 30 years. The products are great, retain vitamin value in food, and can be cooked at lower temperatures due to waterless cooking.
lillypad5 is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2008, 06:46 PM   #17
TCH
macrumors newbie

If you like to buy new stuff occasionally, don't buy a set of Saladmaster cookwear. We purchased our set in 1972. We have had the set for a bit over 35 years and will have it till we don't cook anymore. Then it will go to family and they will use it for a long time too.

The set has been used daily since purchased. With three sons who are all BIG eaters the set has cooked thousands of meals. They have been abused over the years with everything imaginable. Food, crankcase oil, wax melting, mud, paint, used over campfires and much more. Not one problem.

Not one handle has broken, every piece is as shiny as the day we bought it, with a few scratches on the inside from using metal utensils.

When the reps tells you the set you buy will last a lifetime, believe them.

We are going to get both our daughter in laws sets of their own so they don't borrow ours anymore.

Don't worry about them not having Teflon on the inside. If something sticks, just soak the pot for a bit and it will clean easily.

The set does cost more than other sets, but when you figure how long you will use it, the price is very reasonable.

Last edited by mkrishnan; Jan 30, 2008 at 08:12 PM.
TCH is offline   0
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:46 AM   #18
yellow

Though we don't really use them as they were intended, and besides the price, overall I am very happy with them. I've not had a single thing stick that I couldn't clean. And I love how evenly they heat up. I think we're still getting used to cooking with them, but it's been over a year now and my wife really loves them.
yellow is offline   0
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:21 PM   #19
Sarahpiphi
macrumors newbie

They really do all these things and more. Trust me!

To reply to what you wrote:

Salad master DOES do what it promises and SO MUCH MORE!!! What other cookware do you know of allows you to cook cabbage in it and doesn't smell up your entire house, allows you to cook several veggie in one pot and keeps all the veggie invividual tastes?
Saladmaster cookware does allow you to cook from stovetop to oven but why would you want to do that when you can cook everything on your stove top and save money on your electricity bill? You can still put the pans in the stove for browning and carmilization. You can even dutch oven on your stove top with Saladmaster. I love my saladmaster because it saves time, money and the food is wonderful! you get more nutrition out of your food. you feel better and your not getting toxins leaching out into your food everything you cook. You should really book and show and see what saladmaster is all about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactastic View Post
I was just thinking as I clicked your link "this better take me to an All-Clad site".

Oh and BTW, the term "viking of cookware" is probably not such a good one. Viking corp. makes pretty good cookware, but it is not quite as nice as what All-Clad puts out.

I'd also have accepted the Le Cruset site for dutch oven type cookware.

Personally I'm skeptical of anyone who promises that their cookware can do all that the Saladmaster people claim it can. I'm also skeptical of "gadgety" stuff like the "turn the temperature down" indicators on the lids. I'm heartened that they do appear to be using aluminum cores sandwiched between layers of stainless steel - but that's hardly a new idea. All-Clad has been doing that for decades.

I'm also not a fan of cookware with plastic handles. While it appears that these can be removed, the plastic lid handles don't look like they come off, which means these very expensive pieces of cookware cannot transition between the stovetop and the oven, which I do quite often.

Also, low heat cooking robs you of much of the flavor development potential of fond, the browned bits on the bottom of a pan that develop after searing at high temperatures.

I dunno... if you're not into cooking all that much these products might be worth a look. But if you're not into cooking all that much, just buy some cheaper Analon or Circulon cookware, or other mid-priced manufacturers. And if you are really into cooking, you want to use what the pros use. And that's stuff like All-Clad.
Sarahpiphi is offline   0
Old Mar 29, 2008, 07:00 AM   #20
nbs2
macrumors 68030

With 5 of the last 6 posts having been made by newbies (yellow being the exception) who have posted exactly one time, I have to question the ability of SaladMaster to stand on its own quality and not fake testimonials.

More than just crap, I imagine that SM blurs the line between honesty and scam.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 07:38 AM   #21
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

I noticed the same thing. Exactly 1 post each.

Then I saw that they didn't all register in March 2008, so I didn't want to say anything.......yet.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:35 AM   #22
Sarahpiphi
macrumors newbie

But a set! Their GREAT!!!

I have a set and I absolutely LOVE IT!!!!! It is so simple to cook it. You really can just pull anything frozen out of your freezer, Chicken, Pork whatever... Put it in the pan with whatever sauce you want to cook it in put it on med wait til you hear it clicking, turn it to low and about 15 min later it is done and delicious. It is the easiest and best stuff I have ever cooked on. Every set comes with a cook book and they all the time put new recipies on the web as well. You can also go to open houses and learn more as well. Tomorrow I'm cooking a roast. CAN'T WAIT!!! It you haven't seen a show go see one!!
Sarahpiphi is offline   0
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:46 AM   #23
latergator116
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to latergator116
Has this thread made its way onto the Salad Master fan forum?
latergator116 is offline   0
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:08 AM   #24
Iscariot
macrumors 68030

Mastering small leafy vegetables can be challenging, so I can understand why you'd want a product for it.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:22 AM   #25
Berlepsch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscariot View Post
Mastering small leafy vegetables can be challenging, so I can understand why you'd want a product for it.
Against arugula's green fist of death, only a black belt Salad Master can prevail!

Seriously, I think it's time to dump this rotten thread into the Wasteland...
Berlepsch is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland