Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:27 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Is the sansa e280 an iPod nano killer?

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: Is the sansa e280 an iPod nano killer?
Description:: SanDisk's mini-portable can store as much as 10GB of music, video, photos.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:27 PM   #2
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
hmmmmm.
nope.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 02:02 PM   #3
Danksi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Sansa requires a computer which runs Windows XP and Windows Media Player 10. That means it doesn't run/sync on a Mac unless the Mac has an Intel processor and also runs Windows.
Well there's a problem right there...
Old Oct 17, 2006, 02:08 PM   #4
shadowfax
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to shadowfax
The guy seemed to think that to beat an iPod, all you have to do is match the price point for the same capacity, and provide the same or better tech specs (capabilities such as playing music, recording, etc.). He didn't seem to have much of a handle on good design OR platform independence, which any "iPod Killer" would have to master...
shadowfax is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 02:15 PM   #5
Silencio
macrumors 68000

Nope.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71808-0.html
Old Oct 17, 2006, 02:21 PM   #6
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencio
Interesting article

Now that Best Buy is in the mix with Real and Sandisk in (essentially) cutting Microsoft out of the loop and creating their own end-to-end experience to compete with Zune and iTunes+iPod it'll be interesting to see where the chips may fall...

B
Old Oct 17, 2006, 03:03 PM   #7
iJaz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Take SanDisk’s sansa MP3 players. They don’t have to sync with iTunes and aren’t limited to playing Apple-centric files.
Apple-centric files like .mp3 or what the h*** does he mean?
Old Oct 17, 2006, 03:20 PM   #8
paddy
macrumors 6502a

No, no and....NO!

Sure we'll throw in another no will we?
paddy is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 06:00 PM   #9
autrefois
macrumors 65816

I believe it was on The Daily Show that they pointed out that journalism has been reduced to just having crawls or headlines consisting of questions that are not or cannot be substantiated.

"Is the sansa e280 an iPod nano killer?"

The article does not even try to answer the question in the headline! The only point of the headline is to get people to read the article. The word "nano" is mentioned but once in the article, in the final paragraph. "iPod" is mention several times, so perhaps the headline ought to have been:

"Is the sansa e280 an iPod killer?"

But a careful reading of the article doesn't even support this as a headline. The headline should have simply should have been:

"Sansa e280 enters mp3 market"

or arguably

"Sansa e280: newest iPod competitor"

But MSNBC apparently isn't concerned with journalism when sensationalism will get more people to read. I'm not turning in my iPod anytime soon, and certainly not after reading this article!

Last edited by autrefois; Oct 17, 2006 at 06:30 PM.
autrefois is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 06:07 PM   #10
Jay42
macrumors 65816

These companies don't understand the most basic things. "Is the Sansa e280 the iPod killer?" Well that question almost answers itself. With a name like Sansa e280, they could never take on the iPod. The name iPod is iconic: everyone knows what you're talking about when you say it, there is no confusion. It's almost reaching the status that kleenex and band-aid have in terms of product recognition.

"Have you seen the e280?"
"Oh you mean that little one for like $100?"
"No that's the c250"
"Oh, I don't know what you're talking about then"
"Well it's kinda like the iPod nano"
"Oh, now I know..."

The Zune is the best attempt yet, but I still think it's too little too late, especially if Apple releases a phone/widescreen ipod something or other.
Jay42 is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 06:21 PM   #11
imacintel

No.

I am putting my foot down. For each iPod killer rumored, I shall torture many BestBuy employees that shift people away from iPods with the guy in my 'tar.
imacintel is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 08:42 PM   #12
jettredmont
macrumors 68020

Self-serving ...

Does it not seem self-serving and a bit biased for someone on Microsoft-NBC to be saying things like "But this is to remind you that there are other good options out there — and the sansa is one of them."?

IMHO, I can not abide any tech news from MSNBC because I know they have had ... er ... slanted coverage quite often in the past which belies the claim that they can control their corporate biases.

An anti-iPod news article from MSNBC. Gee, who'da thunk?
jettredmont is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:50 PM   #13
TomSmithMacEd
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to TomSmithMacEd
"With good-sounding earphones the sansa sounded very, very good I tried WMA and MP3 files ripped at different resolutions (256K, 128K, etc.) and found that 128K WMAs sounded best — with 96K WMAs very, very close behind. "

yeah... I read that far into the article.

yeah... that about explains how well educated the writer is on the matter at hand.
http://www.xanga.com/erikmyxter
Looking for a powerbook.
TomSmithMacEd is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:52 PM   #14
wyatt23
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to wyatt23
in a single word.

no.

the sansa is not an ipod nano killer. sexy tho. the new nano's are just amazing looking.
wyatt23 is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:19 PM   #15
Analog Kid
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSmithMacEd
"With good-sounding earphones the sansa sounded very, very good I tried WMA and MP3 files ripped at different resolutions (256K, 128K, etc.) and found that 128K WMAs sounded best — with 96K WMAs very, very close behind. "

yeah... I read that far into the article.

yeah... that about explains how well educated the writer is on the matter at hand.
Educated enough to know who signs his paycheck.

For someone who seems to like to go into the little technical details about everything, I'm surprised that he didn't point that Microsoft's PlayForSure sure won't play with Microsoft's Zune...
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:20 PM   #16
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040

One words comes to mind.....

NO
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:26 AM   #17
mrsebastian
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mrsebastian
no and [bleep] you, you [bleep] for the "ipod killer" moniker. if anyone in the pr departments of the competitors had a clue, they'd absolutely, positively, never, ever, use that phrase to get their products name out there.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 02:10 PM   #18
Fuchal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Kid
Educated enough to know who signs his paycheck.

For someone who seems to like to go into the little technical details about everything, I'm surprised that he didn't point that Microsoft's PlayForSure sure won't play with Microsoft's Zune...

I wonder how he came to the conclusion that 128Kbps sounds better than 256Kbps in the same file format.

Oh, wait -- 128kbps WMA is 'better than CD quality'.
Fuchal is offline   0
Old Oct 18, 2006, 03:36 PM   #19
scr
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to scr Send a message via MSN to scr
I love the fact that the iPod has made usability one of its key features. Nowadays, it's not enough to just have a good-looking mp3 player that sounds terrific. It has to have a well designed ui aswell.

And this is where the sansa fails.
scr is offline   0
Old Oct 18, 2006, 03:43 PM   #20
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

i didn't know there were differen't resolutions to mp3 files. i thought it was bit-rates.
oh and the iPod can play more than AAC files.

i hate it when people come across as knowing everything, and then prove that they truely know very little about what they are talking about.
PlaceofDis is offline   0
Old Oct 18, 2006, 06:58 PM   #21
macnulty
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to macnulty
No, it's missing one important feature: iTunes.

"Only a fool looks at a hand pointing to the sky"
macnulty is offline   0
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:49 AM   #22
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

I so desperately wish that I could have scanned the pictures of this thing to show you all. A woman who I work with, I scarcely tolerate her, purchased a, get this, MP4 player off of eBay. When she discovered that the manual was an abberation, she trucked it to me, the IT guy to figure it out. As thought I do not already have enough **** to take care of. I take this thing out of the box, and look at it. Traditional iPod rip-off. . . When i get to the manual however, things go awry. The manual is absolutely unintelligible, phrases like, "The interfacing of the play modes is controlled in the automatic screen." ring out quite clearly in my memory. The final straw was when looked in the corner of each page and saw. . . an Apple logo. I could do nothing but hand it back to her, and say, "I'm sorry Renee, but you should have gotten your daughter a real iPod.

Last edited by SPUY767; Oct 19, 2006 at 08:21 AM.
SPUY767 is offline   0
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:28 AM   #23
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767
I so desperately wish that I could have scanned the pictures of this thing to show you all. A woman who I work with, I scarcely tolerate her, purchased a, get this, MP4 player off of eBay. When she discovered that the manual was an abberation, she trucked it to me, the IT guy to figure it out. As thought I do not already have enough **** to take care of. I take this thing out of the box, and look at it. Traditional iPod rip-off. . . When i get to the manual however, things go awry. The manual is absolutely unintelligible, phrases like, "The interfacing of the play modes is controlled in the automatic screen." ring out quite clearly in my memory. The final straw was when looked in the corner of each page and saw. . . an Apple logo. I could do nothing but hand it back to her, and say, "I'm sorry Renee, but you should have gotten your daughter a real iPod.
Those kind of unintelligible phrases are nicknamed "Engrish", and there is, appropriately enough, a website dedicated to preserving and mocking them.

A year or so ago, a friend of mine go a pocket knife that had similar complete-nonsense instructions. Something completely wacky like "to engage the cut hurt small of size persons" or something like that. (Although it was so bad that between four of us, we couldn't figure what in the world it was trying to say.)

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion