Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:27 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

LaCie announces LightScribe disc burning solution

Category: 3rd Party Hardware
Link: LaCie announces LightScribe disc burning solution
Description:: LaCie today announced it is the first to offer a complete burning and LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling solution for all operating systems. This includes the first-ever LightScribe Labeler software for Linux, a new version of LightScribe Labeler software for Mac, and SureThing LightScribe Labeler for Windows.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:37 PM   #2
ppc_michael

Send a message via AIM to ppc_michael
That's an interesting way of labeling things...
ppc_michael is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 03:34 PM   #3
Yvan256
macrumors 601

LightScribe is a very interesting idea. I wish Apple would put LightScribe drives in their computers, along with the necessary software to label the discs. Imagine burning an audio CD and burning the label on it while you're on the road with your MacBook (Pro).
Yvan256 is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 03:38 PM   #4
andrew050703
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256
LightScribe is a very interesting idea. I wish Apple would put LightScribe drives in their computers, along with the necessary software to label the discs. Imagine burning an audio CD and burning the label on it while you're on the road with your MacBook (Pro).
would there be any legal issues regarding CD image copyrights - you buy the album in itunes, get the album art, but is that yours free to copy onto a cd?
Old Oct 17, 2006, 03:42 PM   #5
stoid
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew050703
would there be any legal issues regarding CD image copyrights - you buy the album in itunes, get the album art, but is that yours free to copy onto a cd?
Not if the RIAA has anything to say about it! Though how you can DRM an image I don't know. Screenshot anyone?
stoid is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 03:42 PM   #6
prady16
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256
LightScribe technology was invented by HP, so unless Apple licenses that technology from HP, we will not see that on Mac notebooks. But we can use it by plugging in an external lightscribe enabled cd/dvd burner.
prady16 is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:44 PM   #7
steve jr.
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoid
Not if the RIAA has anything to say about it! Though how you can DRM an image I don't know. Screenshot anyone?

RIAA has nothing to do with a photo. It would have to be with the photographer/studio where the picture was taken. For example, where I had my senior pictures done, if I ever wanted another one, legally, I would have to go back to him and have him order another one. If I were to do it myself by say scanning and printing, that would be breaking copyright laws.

steve jr. is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:17 PM   #8
lmalave
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lmalave Send a message via MSN to lmalave Send a message via Yahoo to lmalave Send a message via Skype™ to lmalave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppc_michael
That's an interesting way of labeling things...
I used to have an HP laptop with a Ligthscribe-enabled DVD burner. It's a nifty idea but it's reallyreally slow. It's new technology though so hopefully it will keep improving. Basically, it takes couple minutes just to write something like "Dope Party Mix" to the disc in small font. To write a full-disc image would probably take an hour or two. If they can make that about 10x faster (10 to 20 seconds for simple name, a few minutes for full disc), that would be more useable...
Old Oct 18, 2006, 05:55 PM   #9
dejo

Quote:
LaCie today announced it is the first to offer a complete burning and LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling solution for all operating systems.
Great! My Commodore 64 machine has been waiting too long for this!
Old Oct 19, 2006, 03:53 AM   #10
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmalave
I used to have an HP laptop with a Ligthscribe-enabled DVD burner. It's a nifty idea but it's reallyreally slow. It's new technology though so hopefully it will keep improving. Basically, it takes couple minutes just to write something like "Dope Party Mix" to the disc in small font. To write a full-disc image would probably take an hour or two. If they can make that about 10x faster (10 to 20 seconds for simple name, a few minutes for full disc), that would be more useable...
I agree with the time, also it burns your laser out quicker and is currently only monochrome, (I also heard something about losing some data capacity too, but I don't see how). So if I want to label discs, I'll stick with permanent markers or printers with disc printing and printable discs.

Edit: Oh, and the discs usually cost at least twice as much as non-lightscribe discs.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:37 AM   #11
fixyourthinking
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Yahoo to fixyourthinking
Lightsribe has been on Macs

I don't understand ... this was reported by a lot of sites ... Lightscribe has been on Macs for over a year. I've sold several of the HP drives and downloaded the lightscribe software.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:32 AM   #12
jdechko
macrumors 68040

I really hope that LightScribe technology takes off. In the long run, I think it's a much better solution than labels and printable CD's. The ability to burn and label a disk in a drive is great. I hope that someone can get it into a slot-loading drive capable of being installed into a MBP soon. I also see the companies developing faster label burning and color images as well.

Another good thing is that LightScribe has the possibility of being implemented in future optical disk technologies as well (Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, and even holographic disks) so developments in the technology won't be wasted in the future.

And as for the price of the disks, once LightScribe becomes more mainstream, which it appears to be doing, the prices will come down.
jdechko is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion