Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Osarkon said:
Seems like someone in apple has a sense of humour.
Ummm... OK. If I bought one of these infected iPods and spyware got installed on my PC, I do believe that the folks at the Apple Store would be refunding me 100% of my purchase price while allowing me to keep the iPod... the alternative being that they could pay the bill for someone to clean up the damage to my PC.

Mr Skills

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
I can almost hear my PC-using friends now:

"I thought you said Apples didn't get viruses...."

Yeah, I can try to explain that it's a Windows virus, but it's never nice to be on the defensive.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
clayj said:
Ummm... OK. If I bought one of these infected iPods and spyware got installed on my PC, I do believe that the folks at the Apple Store would be refunding me 100% of my purchase price while allowing me to keep the iPod... the alternative being that they could pay the bill for someone to clean up the damage to my PC.

Good luck with that.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Bonus software for Windows users. :)

As you might imagine, we are upset at Windows for not being more hardy against such viruses, and even more upset with ourselves for not catching it.
I like how Apple has four links to anti-virus software. So devilish of Apple...;)

ThunderLounge

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
How did they get there? At the factory by a disgruntled employee or what?

Scary QC issue, to say the least.

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
It should be noted that some McDonald's branded MP3 players sold in Japan (I believe, perhaps the UK?) have been shipping with a similar trojan on it.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
clayj said:

And there was no ... "just kidding" following this comment (like there should have been)

RavmonE is easily detected by the most rudimentary virus/spyware apps and the Apple page indicates that even the free software included with PCs will detect and rid your computer of it.

Still, there's no excuse and I agree with a post above, the factories producing iPods should be formatting them with Macs.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
clayj said:

I agree. I can't believe Apple is even daring to put a crack about Windows security when they are SHIPPING viruses to people, even if it is a screw-up and probably not Apple themselves' fault (a sub-contractor).

Apple said:
As you might imagine, we are upset at Windows for not being more hardy against such viruses, and even more upset with ourselves for not catching it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
welshandrew said:
I guess they should have used a Mac!
No they should have been more careful and they need to take ownership for their mistakes.

longofest said:
I agree. I can't believe Apple is even daring to put a crack about Windows security when they are SHIPPING viruses to people, even if it is a screw-up and probably not Apple themselves' fault (a sub-contractor).
It is most likely Apple's screw up and I agree with you, Apple is wrong for trying to take that crack at Windows when they do this.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
whoa... :eek:

This is very bad news!
Luckily not many have gotten the virus, but could you imagine purchasing a device from a very reputable vendor, which contains a virus? This is indeed very bad PR.

OTOH...
I must admit, I did giggle for a moment there... :D

Applespider

macrumors G4
jessica. said:
It is most likely Apple's screw up and I agree with you, Apple is wrong for trying to take that crack at Windows when they do this.

Agreed. Admit the error and provide the answer. The wisecracks just make it worse. Curious as to how it only appears to be a small number affected - or is it just that not many people are tech-savvy enough to notice?

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
Mr Skills said:
I can almost hear my PC-using friends now:

"I thought you said Apples didn't get viruses...."

Yeah, I can try to explain that it's a Windows virus, but it's never nice to be on the defensive.

hahahahahaha yeah, that sounds like something my fiancée would say.

scu

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
This is just the type of news needed to drive the stock down a little.:mad: Many will make millions come Thursday.:)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
From the press release:
So far we have seen less than 25 reports concerning this problem.
I wonder how many reports they are getting now that the news is out?

They failed to say how this happened and how (whether?) they will try to prevent it from happening in the future.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Applespider said:
Agreed. Admit the error and provide the answer. The wisecracks just make it worse. Curious as to how it only appears to be a small number affected - or is it just that not many people are tech-savvy enough to notice?

It may have been a quality control computer that was infected with the trojan, so each device that was connected to the computer for QC was infected. That would have limited the number infected and would explain why QC didn't catch it.

Or... it was a Chinese hacker's new way of spreading viruses...

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040

Ummm......not smooth, definitely not smooth.

That's like punching someone in the face and saying you're upset that the person was so weak as to break a bone, but of course you're more upset you punched the person to begin with. When Jobs said the era of Microsoft having to lose for Apple to win was over, I thought this type of player-hating would end. There are times for comparisons--but not when you've dropped the ball!!!!!

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Buy an iPod, infect your Windows computer.

Sure. Increase Apple's market share by taking down Windows PCs, one at a time.

I see through your nefarious plan, Apple! :eek:

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Am I the only one that finds this amusing? I love Apple's sense of Humor. :)

You guys need to lighten up y'know. Sure, I would have been annoyed if it had gotten me, but I wouldn't be like "I'm taking Apple for all they're worth!!" These things happen - and it IS a subcontractor's and not Apples - but they have made it very easy to fix the problem, and spotted it early - SO KUDOS to apple!!

Oh, and Plus - you realllllyyyyy should have Anti-viral software, there is no excuse for that! As Apple says by quipping regarding Windows uselessness!

Swytch

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
clayj said:

If you have a PC and dont have proper virus protection and spyware protection, your an idiot and are gonna get a virus and tons of spyware anyways... this would just be a wake up call to those people...

and no, Apple would not be repsonsible for anything other than removing the virus and maybe replacing your ipod, just as with any other factory defect.

In fact, from the iPod Software License Agreement:

6. Limitation of Liability TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL APPLE BE LIABLE FOR PERSONAL INJURY, OR ANY INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF DATA, BUSINESS
INTERRUPTION OR ANY OTHER COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OR LOSSES, ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO YOUR USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE IPOD SOFTWARE AND
IPOD SOFTWARE UPDATES, HOWEVER CAUSED, REGARDLESS OF THE THEORY OF LIABILITY (CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE) AND EVEN IF APPLE HAS BEEN
ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR PERSONAL INJURY, OR OF
INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THIS LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. In no event shall Apple's total liability to you for all damages (other
than as may be required by applicable law in cases involving personal injury) exceed the amount of fifty dollars ($50.00). The foregoing limitations will apply
even if the above stated remedy fails of its essential purpose.

they are not responsible...

dont like it, buy a mac or stick with your crappy pc and get viruses and dont buy an ipod

personally i kinda hope this means apple will drop ipod windows support completely, PC users can use their crappy microsoft Zune players

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.