Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:16 PM   #1
ascender
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to ascender Send a message via Yahoo to ascender
How can I force my printer to print in B&W?

Man, I'm embarassed asking this question, but I just can't see how to do it. I have a Deskjet printer, but my colour cartridge is empty and I need to print out a document this afternoon. Of course, printing it from Safari defaults to colour meaning a lot of the info is a really faint grey colour, or just non-existent.

I've downloaded the latest printing center from HP but the Toolbox option just lets me do diagnostics. In page setup when printing, there's just the usual paper size options.

Am I missing something really obvious?!?! Its driving me mad!

Thanks,

Mike.
ascender is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:19 PM   #2
iSaint
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to iSaint
When you use File>Print there is usually an option for Properties or further settings. I'm on a Windows machine right now, so I can't say for sure how to get there. I believe there is a drop down for color settings where you can select 'grayscale' or 'black and white' printing.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:32 PM   #3
ascender
macrumors 65816

That's what I was looking for but i can't seem to find it. I was also looking for a generic setting in Sys Pref for example which would set it to default of B&W.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:40 PM   #4
Fearless Leader
macrumors 68020

take out the color cartridges. dont know about your printer but mine goes b&w.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:47 PM   #5
ascender
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokem
take out the color cartridges. dont know about your printer but mine goes b&w.
Lol! great idea but unfortunately the deskjet just errors and won't let me start any jobs.

Man, when did things get this bloody complicated....
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:53 PM   #6
thworple
macrumors 6502

When you do a File - Print, click where it says "Copies and Pages" and from the dropdown menu select "Print Settings".

It will present you with more options, including whether you want to print in colour or black & white.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:59 PM   #7
Starflyer
macrumors 6502a

Try This...

Starflyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 01:08 PM   #8
SmurfBoxMasta
macrumors 65816

Location: If you come into the forest really late at night, I might tell you...or nOt :)

uummm...FYI

the term "black & white" is technically incorrect, since there is no way (that I know of) for any standard inkjet printer to make white ink
Old Oct 18, 2006, 03:12 PM   #9
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfBoxMasta
uummm...FYI

the term "black & white" is technically incorrect, since there is no way (that I know of) for any standard inkjet printer to make white ink
This is not a helpful statement. The white is background from the paper beneath the black ink. But to address the OP's question, some printers have a B&W setting among the color settings. Search your settings for the one that you need.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 03:25 PM   #10
Lau

I have an HP too, and it doesn't have a B/W setting in properties like my old Epson had, so I suspect the OP's doesn't either (although it's worth a look). This, incidentally, is annoying as feck. If I was in this situation I'd put the picture (I'm assuming it's a picture) into Photoshop and convert it to B&W.

If you don't have Photoshop, let us know what kind of document it is, and we can hopefully can recommend a program that might convert it to black and white for you.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:20 PM   #11
ascender
macrumors 65816

Nope, still no joy! I thought about the Photoshop thing, but its not as simple as that, its an online form, where you hit the print button and its generated.

I can't believe there's no easy setting to change it to B&W. Is this a scam on behalf of HP to make sure you buy new ink straight away?

And yes, I was referring to the B&W setting in the original post!

Thanks for all the suggestions anyway!
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:29 PM   #12
Lau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender
Nope, still no joy! I thought about the Photoshop thing, but its not as simple as that, its an online form, where you hit the print button and its generated.

I can't believe there's no easy setting to change it to B&W. Is this a scam on behalf of HP to make sure you buy new ink straight away?

And yes, I was referring to the B&W setting in the original post!

Thanks for all the suggestions anyway!
Ah, well if that's the case, if you hit print in your browser, there's a "PDF" button in the bottom left of the print dialogue box, and if you click on that and say "Save as PDF" (the first option) it'll "print" it to your desktop as a PDF, and then you can open it in a graphics program of your choice to convert it to B&W.

The option to print as a PDF is one of my favourite and most useful things, and not being able to print B&W on my HP is one of my least favourite things, so I can totally sympathise.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:29 AM   #13
ascender
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lau
Ah, well if that's the case, if you hit print in your browser, there's a "PDF" button in the bottom left of the print dialogue box, and if you click on that and say "Save as PDF" (the first option) it'll "print" it to your desktop as a PDF, and then you can open it in a graphics program of your choice to convert it to B&W.

The option to print as a PDF is one of my favourite and most useful things, and not being able to print B&W on my HP is one of my least favourite things, so I can totally sympathise.
Lau, thanks very much for that. I was playing about in Preview yesterday but never thought to try saving it offline. I'll give it a go in a minute.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 01:28 AM   #14
Marble
macrumors 6502a

For my Epson there is a Paper Type/Quality tab in the print settings pulldown (where the colorsync and other options are); there should be tabs at the top labeled "Paper," "Color Options," and "Ink." In Color Options, there is a radio button you can press titled "Black Ink Cartridge Only." Is this not there on the HP?

EDIT: It's an HP, not a Lexmark.

Last edited by Marble; Oct 21, 2006 at 04:06 PM.
Marble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 05:46 AM   #15
SmurfBoxMasta
macrumors 65816

Location: If you come into the forest really late at night, I might tell you...or nOt :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe
The white is background from the paper beneath the black ink.
uumm.......white paper beneath the black ink ? AFAIK, that usually results in a black printed area
And yes, I was correct in my original statement.........so why would any printer driver give an option of "B&W" instead of just "Black" or "Color"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble
Is this not there on the Lexmark?
the OP has a deskjet, as in HP !
Old Oct 21, 2006, 04:57 PM   #16
todd2000
macrumors 68000

I have an HP Photosmart printer, and when I click print there is a drop down menu that says "Copies & Pages". If I click on that there is an option for "Paper Type/Quality" which brings up this screen:

Click on the color drop down menu and there should be an option for Greyscale
todd2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 05:00 PM   #17
Marble
macrumors 6502a

Also click the Color Options button there for the "Black Ink Cartridge Only" option.
Marble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 05:11 PM   #18
HughJ
macrumors regular

i too have an HP printer/scanner/photocopier and have tried soooo many times to print (especially photographs) in B&W and the set up will allow printing in B&W but it actually prints in Blue

i then tried to print via photoshop when converted the image to greyscale and it still came out blue
HughJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 05:26 PM   #19
todd2000
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble
Also click the Color Options button there for the "Black Ink Cartridge Only" option.
Actually I don't have the option, but the greyscale options works well.
todd2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X