Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Oct 19, 2006, 03:54 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Apple's Extended Keyboard II: Sequel To A Legend

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: Apple's Extended Keyboard II: Sequel To A Legend
Description:: A look at Apple's slightly smaller Extended II keyboard with slightly softer key action - but still built like a tank.

Check it out at lowendmac.com!

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:33 AM   #2
MoparShaha
macrumors 68000

I have to say, this is an awesome keyboard...my favorite in fact. I remember first using it when my friend bought his Power Mac 7100/80 AV back in the day.

Since then, I've inherited a Power Mac 7100/66 which came with an Extended II. I'm tempted to buy an USB to ADB adaptor to use it, but I'm too spoiled with my wireless BT keyboard. It's not nearly as nice to type on, but the lack of a cord stretching across my desk makes me hesitant to try to the Extended II.
MoparShaha is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2006, 04:12 AM   #3
Lixivial
macrumors 6502a

Agreed. The Extended II is a fine set of keys, and this is a nice review of it. The only thing that bothered me about the Extended II, when I worked on it, was the fact that the power button was a low-profile key. For such a critical key, I always felt that it ought to be more difficult to press, even if it's segregated from the rest of the board. The change of definition between it and regular keys was a good thing, but I found it easier to mispress from an external source; then again my desk is always rather messy. I also liked the louder sound of the original Extended.

I'm pining for that feel again -- so much so that I'm actually going to be picking up a Matias Tactile Pro. I'm hoping that their marketing has some truth to it -- it doesn't look nearly as sturdy as the Extendeds were, but they do have a five-year warranty.

Even still Apple's keyboards have never been able to match up with IBM's buckling spring keyboards.
Lixivial is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2006, 06:59 AM   #4
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lixivial
Agreed. The Extended II is a fine set of keys, and this is a nice review of it. The only thing that bothered me about the Extended II, when I worked on it, was the fact that the power button was a low-profile key. For such a critical key, I always felt that it ought to be more difficult to press, even if it's segregated from the rest of the board. The change of definition between it and regular keys was a good thing, but I found it easier to mispress from an external source; then again my desk is always rather messy.
I have this same complaint about the Eject key on my Blackbook. i must press it a dozen times a day to eject a disk that isn't there. For the only special purpose key on the entire keyboard, I wish it were located somewhere else, or at least had a 1-second delay before activating.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 03:07 PM   #5
nagromme
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreetmark
I have this same complaint about the Eject key on my Blackbook. i must press it a dozen times a day to eject a disk that isn't there. For the only special purpose key on the entire keyboard, I wish it were located somewhere else, or at least had a 1-second delay before activating.
Mac laptop eject keys DO have a 1-second delay.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Oct 20, 2006, 04:01 PM   #6
Lixivial
macrumors 6502a

nagromme, I'm not so sure the old legacy of the PPC laptops holds true for the Intel 'Books. My MacBook requires a simple tap and it initiates the eject sequence. From my experience, the legacy required the key to be held down before initiating the eject sequence.
Lixivial is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion