Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:01 PM   #1
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Signing out of Apple Store

OK silly question here, I logged into my account at the Apple Store online, but I can't seem to find a sign out or log out button. How do I do this?

I know this is a silly question, but I can't figure it out. Am I missing something
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:05 PM   #2
monke
macrumors 65816

Wow, I can't find it either

Instantly when you said you couldn't find it, I had to try. Now I can't find it... wierd.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:09 PM   #3
runninmac
macrumors 65816

Gah! I couldn't find it either! It bugs me SOO much.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:10 PM   #4
tech4all
macrumors 68040

I've tried emptying the cache, and restarting Safari and still says: Welcome, xxxxx.

Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:20 PM   #5
plinden
macrumors 68040

It'll time out in a few minutes if you stop reloading the store pages.
plinden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:23 PM   #6
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinden
It'll time out in a few minutes if you stop reloading the store pages.
Alright I'll try that. Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:04 PM   #7
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Well I had it sit for almost a half hour and still logged in Is there a minimum amount of time before it times out?
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:08 PM   #8
plinden
macrumors 68040

I don't know how long it takes, but I signed in about the time I sent my last post, and I do get the "Welcome plinden" message when I go back. But if I try to access my account it returns with the login form.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:13 PM   #9
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinden
I don't know how long it takes, but I signed in about the time I sent my last post, and I do get the "Welcome plinden" message when I go back. But if I try to access my account it returns with the login form.
Yea when I got to that review my account link, it has the email address filled in, but I have to input my password still.....and then I put in my password, then went back to the Store and click on the same link and it doesn't ask for a password anymore, but instead gives me the screen with different options for the account.

Weird. I guess I'll just see what it does later on tonight.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:15 PM   #10
Swarmlord
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all
OK silly question here, I logged into my account at the Apple Store online, but I can't seem to find a sign out or log out button. How do I do this?

I know this is a silly question, but I can't figure it out. Am I missing something
It's in the right hand side of the first gray bar menu on this page. However, the timeout on this forum is pretty fast compared to other forums.
Swarmlord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:19 PM   #11
plinden
macrumors 68040

The store should really have a sign out button, but just go to into Safari Preferences/Security/Show Cookies and remove the .apple.com and store.apple.com cookies.

Edit: Hold on, are you talking about your Apple Store account or Macrumors account?

Edit2: In response to the comment below - phew, I though I was being dumb
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:19 PM   #12
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarmlord
It's in the right hand side of the first gray bar menu on this page. However, the timeout on this forum is pretty fast compared to other forums.
Erm...we're talking about the online Apple Store here, not the MacRumors Forums.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:25 AM   #13
carol gene
macrumors newbie

no logout button on apple store

I have deleted my Apple/itunes account information because there website did not have a logout button. It started when I received an e-mail from Apple stating that my account information had been changed, and if I did not make changes to login and change my password. Indeed, I had not made any changes to my account information, so I followed the link that the e-mail had provided me with, check my account information, which looked ok, and was looking to "logout". This was when I discovered that there was no logout button, long story short, I spent over 2 hours (2 hrs. and 5 min.) to be exact to find out: there is no logout button, they claim that when you close out the brower window, that you are "automatically" logged out. BS, i tried this and opened the window and I find that I'm still logged in. I then proceeded to ask Apple Support to delete my account information, which took 45 minutes of holding on while Apple & itunes chatted with each other to delete my account information (Am I being punked?!?!?!?). I finally had to tell "support" to call me back when they were through chatting about my account and I had to literally hang up on the guy as I had to go on with my day. VERY DISAPPOINTED IN THIS PRODUCT and WEBSITE. I just do not understand why a large website/company don't have a logout button. Hackers can easily assess account information without logging out!!
carol gene is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 02:16 PM   #14
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

Why did you bump a 5 year old thread? There definitely is a logout for the App store except it's called "signout" look under the itunes menu "store" sign in (or out) on the top menu or a small sign in button on the right hand side. Besides it looks like you may have received a phish email anyway.
decafjava is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 02:24 PM   #15
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

-snip-

Last edited by AdrianK; Feb 4, 2012 at 04:37 AM.
AdrianK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 01:12 PM   #16
appletouchhelp
macrumors newbie

How to sign out of apple account on iphone or ipod touch!!

ok, so this is what you do... i just figured this out today on my iphone... you go to homescreen (or wherever your settings app is) open up settings, then scroll down until you find store (it is in the same little bundle as general, mail, contacts, safari, etc. then you just open store in the settings, and you should see you apple account id there, then tap that, and hit sign out! simple as that
appletouchhelp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 07:11 AM   #17
Hummer
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Hummer Send a message via Yahoo to Hummer Send a message via Skype™ to Hummer
Reset Safari.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized this thread is slightly old and resolved. Mods, you can remove this post if you'd like.
Hummer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 02:29 PM   #18
RottenApple1
macrumors newbie

Because it's still a problem

I don't know what kind of mentality one must have to be so dismissive of an obvious oversight.

Comments like "just clear your cookies" or close your browser are not ideal solutions ... having a logout (or sign out) button is a simple and ideal solution.

Every site on the internet has one, even this forum, but the apple store online does not ... that's a problem. Not to mention, people could log on to store.apple.com from ANY computer (including a public one). I have multiple itunes accounts for people here are work, and closing my browser (with multiple tabs I don't want to close) and then clearing the cache is a significant workaround as compared to simply offering what should be there anyway .. a way to log off.

Simply agreeing that it's a place for improvement doesn't diminish the value of the product. Geez, and getting all huffy about commenting on an old thread ... it's still a problem, that's why people are commenting. Fix the problem and people will stop commenting.

Apple Store ... you have overlooked an important safety issue. Add a sign out button.

OK, I have said my piece. Now I will sit back and endure the lashing, the comments about "why would you ..." ... all just more diversions for a mistake that needs to be corrected.
RottenApple1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:57 AM   #19
mobilebuddha
macrumors regular

i actually have a legit reason to log out of my apple store. My SO and I have separate apple accounts. We just bought an iphone and a MBP in our own accounts. It's a pain in the ash to track both of our orders on the same computer because of this particular problem.
mobilebuddha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 07:50 PM   #20
tiredof
macrumors newbie

decafjava & AdrianK keep your slights to yourselves. First their complaints are good. If Apple will not do the right thing and have a sign out button then we should cancel our accounts. As for the sign-off on the itunes store page do you care to share that location. Possibly with a link. I too have spent over an hour looking to log out on many store pages and have not found a log off or sign-off button. I have one account for the family and one for myself because I am a developer. I now can not sign out of the family account. I have done everything that is mentioned here and nothing works. This is a very customer unfriendly site and a poor business practice. So your complaints against valid posts is ridiculous.

As for bumping I am glad my post will bump this thread to help other customers know that Apple has messed up by not having a sign out link. So if it pisses anyone off tough I am more then pissed off at Apples inconsiderate web design.

Oh and one more thing the great and intelligent post that said no log out was ok becuase no one can sign in under your computer? What world do you live on? I my computer is at work and signed on they have access to the account. (which I dont do) If I am on a public computer and log on I have no way to log off so the next person will not have access to my personal information. It is a standard business practice to protect the customers information.
tiredof is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 04:37 AM   #21
AdrianK
macrumors 68020

Looking back at this, I think I misunderstood the premise of some of Carol's points, so my responses aren't relevant. I do agree that it's an issue for public machines.
AdrianK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 09:18 AM   #22
calderone
macrumors 68040

While I agree this is a problem, generally if you attempt to do anything like make a purchase or change information, you are asked for a password again.

However, you could still: view order history. I don't have any open orders to know if you would be allowed to cancel or pre-sign for items.

Instead of acting like babies, send Apple some feedback.

http://www.apple.com/contact/feedback.html

I am doing it right now. I implore you to do the same.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:41 PM   #23
zsjawne
macrumors newbie

http://store.apple.com/au/help/shopp...erience#logout
There is no need to log out of your account. As a security measure, you are required to log in for every purchase or change to your account and you will be automatically logged out after inactivity of 30 minutes.

So to logout, close the page and make sure you do not access the applestore for the next 31 minutes.

If it is a public computer, guard or stay with the computer/internet device for the next 30 minutes after closing the page.

Niiicee!!!
zsjawne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:49 AM   #24
DesertSilver
macrumors regular

I just dealt with this situation and found this thread. Considering myself a tech savvy person, I can't believe I needed to search for "how to log out of my Apple store account"...which resulted in pretty much finding out that "you can't".

My wife and I were trying to check the status of orders with our separate accounts and it boggles my mind that there is seemingly no way to manually sign/log out. I first logged into the "Track an Order" page and now every time we go back to that page it automatically shows my account info.

And no, the answer to this should never be "wait X minutes" or "close and reopen browser". This is Apple we're talking about; the masters of intuitive UI that even tech dummies can use, right?
DesertSilver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:22 AM   #25
brian163
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
I just dealt with this situation and found this thread. Considering myself a tech savvy person, I can't believe I needed to search for "how to log out of my Apple store account"...which resulted in pretty much finding out that "you can't".

My wife and I were trying to check the status of orders with our separate accounts and it boggles my mind that there is seemingly no way to manually sign/log out. I first logged into the "Track an Order" page and now every time we go back to that page it automatically shows my account info.

And no, the answer to this should never be "wait X minutes" or "close and reopen browser". This is Apple we're talking about; the masters of intuitive UI that even tech dummies can use, right?
For the love all things... add a ME TOO to DesertSilver's post.
brian163 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion