Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saint

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Sydney
Thanks. I think you were actually the first.

It's v73. Pretty impressive too.
It's got tabs & autofill, seems to be faster.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
I thought for sure I was going to be first... "I was 'that' close"

Safari: Speedy, Stable and Compatible... who could ask for anything more? (hmmm with Mac users, maybe I shouldn't ask that...) :D

Dave

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
does this new version fix macrumors so we can see the side stuff for the active threads.

iJon

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
v73 seems heaps faster than v60.

Though all my favicons have gone, so now i have to visit every bookmark to reload em! Oh well, small price to pay.

losfp

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Sydney
eyyyyyeeesssssss!!!!! :)

The best thing is that text is actually READABLE NOW!!!! :D No more blur-o-vision!

Ummm.. although... is anyone noticing all the vBulletin "reply" etc buttons aligning a bit weirdly?

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
You beat me.

Damn, I thought I was unique.

I'm going now, and I may not come back.

I need to learn how to use tabbed browsing, I don't think I ever used it.

I also need to learn how to NOT press return after every sentence.

pmcaleer

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by robotrenegade
How do you get the tabed browsing to work?

Go to Preferences - Tabs. Then, Enable Tabbed Browsing. I too found it curious that it wasn't on by default.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Not too sure what tabbed browsing is, but it seems to be in demand. I will check it out. <Ding> Downloand is finished.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Download

Originally posted by buffsldr
Not too sure what tabbed browsing is, but it seems to be in demand. I will check it out. <Ding> Downloand is finished.

Hell, I didn't use it before but now I need it!

Also, in terms of downloads, if you cancel a download, it doesn't delete it but instead leaves what it has downloaded.

Goekeli

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
It is still much slower than camino for me!:(
I hope they put some speed into it in the final release. It's nice to have it updated through software update!:)

Joe

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
I'm stuck at work on a pc as well, jeez I can't wait? Anyone see any large differences between 71 and this 73 yet?

Thanks for the info about the downloading wardofsky, that was really annoying me on a dialup. . .

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Better, but..

Still lacking compared to Mozilla. It's quite a bit slower than Mozilla for me. For instance, loading the macsurfer.com page, Mozilla instantly start displaying while Safari starts to load a bit, then displays. It's an annoying delay and it does this for every site.

autofill does not work such that you can double click in a field and it will fill it in as in Mozilla.

Why can't you click in the URL field and see a list of recent URLs you typed in? I do that ALL the time.

I just don't like the bookmark system. I want to see my bookmarks in a frame and still see my browser window. I hate how Safari makes the browser window disappear when looking at bookmarks.

The scroll wheel performance is horrible and non-adjustable. It works fine in other apps for me, but is glacial in Safari. (MS intellimouse explorer and MS driver).

Also, Java doesn't work as well. Tried going to one of my favorite speed test sites, but the test window doesn't show, while it works fine in Mozilla.

Much better than before, but still not as good as Mozilla and presents no reason for me to switch.

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
cycle through tabs?

First off, kudos to Apple for finally releasing Safari Beta 2. Tabbed browsing makes all the difference. It's especially cool how you can combine keyboard commands to either open links in tabs or windows in the background or foreground. I do have one question though.

Has anybody figured out the keyboard command for cycling through the tabs? You can cmd+~ to cycle through open windows, but I want to cycle through the tabs without having to use my mous to go and click on a tab itself. Anybody know how to do that?

deepkid

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
chicago
bookmarks erased

Perhaps this is unique to my installation, but all of my bookmarks are gone after installing beta 2. It looks like my bookmarks.plist file was overwritten or is located in a place where beta 2 can not find it. Will have to tackle it later tonight.

Just a heads up.

hesdeadjim

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Washington, DC
I feel that safari is much faster, and it seems to be render much better in this release. I'll have to use it more to see I how I truely feel about it, but it seem to came a long way from the 2-12 release (only get public beta releases).

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
Re: cycle through tabs?

Originally posted by Classic
Has anybody figured out the keyboard command for cycling through the tabs? You can cmd+~ to cycle through open windows, but I want to cycle through the tabs without having to use my mous to go and click on a tab itself. Anybody know how to do that?

Check out the window menu - it's Cmd-Shift Left/Right arrow key :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.