Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glossy or Matte (Not Glossy) MacBook Pro Screen?

• Glossy

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Matte

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Neutral (Doesn't Matter)

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • You Can Choose?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
I don't see a poll?

This has been discussed millions of times.. and I think a poll might've been done on it already, oh well. :cool:

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
Odd... it takes time for the poll to show up? I was creating it while you were posting.

For me, it's matte. I don't like anything reflecting as the glare would be maddening, especially when working in a car.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Matte FTW!

Yeah the glare is iffy. It shows up in some situations and it's hard to predict which ones. Since I'm a student, I take my laptop everywhere, and I can't have it reflecting in whatever location I happen to be in. Oh and I do some photography work and I'm afraid the glossy screen will throw off the colors.

I can see the plus sides of glossy screens too. It's just personal preference but ocassionally these threads turn into a war between people who have never used a glossy screen but claim there's too much glare, people who have the glossy screen and love it, and people who genuinely dislike the glossy screen but are sort of lumped into the first category by the glossy screen lovers.

matttrick

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
i took time on this decision, compared in store, and went matte. i am very happy with that choice.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Matte for the reason that the glossy screens gather dirt and fingerprints much too easily and you can never get them looking as clean as they did on the first day you got it. Glossy screens need too much maintainence. Speaking of which, I need to run a cloth over my macbook screen once again. I have a silken cloth for keeping dirt and hair off it. :eek:

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
The last 2 laptops I've bought have been glossy screens (an HP and a MacBook). I think the glossy screens definitely look better. I really don't understand all the complaints about the glare on the screen. My thinking is most of these people have never *owned* a computer with glossy screen. Well, I'm on my 2nd computer with glossy screen and not *once* has it ever been an issue.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
lmalave said:
The last 2 laptops I've bought have been glossy screens (an HP and a MacBook). I think the glossy screens definitely look better. I really don't understand all the complaints about the glare on the screen. My thinking is most of these people have never *owned* a computer with glossy screen. Well, I'm on my 2nd computer with glossy screen and not *once* has it ever been an issue.

Then you my friend must have one very dust and hair covered screen and just don't care when the pure white image you're working on has hairs in the way. :D

storage

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
Osarkon said:
Then you my friend must have one very dust and hair covered screen and just don't care when the pure white image you're working on has hairs in the way. :D
Just wondering, how do you get hairs on your screen? I've been using computers for at least 10 years, and not once can I remember having to remove hairs from any monitor, TFT or CRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.