Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Sep 3, 2009, 02:38 PM   #26
xonomox
macrumors newbie

Time?

How much time does it really take to plug those things in, 15 seconds? I have power, usb, audio, dvi just laying on my desk strapped together, plugging them in is maybe 2 or 3 seconds at most per cable.... albeit a dock would still be nice.
xonomox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 08:57 PM   #27
Mycatisbigfoot
macrumors regular

My setup

Well to save space and have quicker using time, I have a small cabenet thats on wheels,
it hold my
16Pot Network hub
7Port usb hub (hooked to laptop)
My 320GB nas
my 750 GB Fire wire drive
my I-pod cloection, and some other things
and then on the top I have the apple unversal Dock (I-pod)
and then next to that is my mac book, with all of my cords

Power,
Cat 5 (gig)
Display (VGA)
Fire Wire
Usb

I just boot the computer then close the lid and then start to work on what ever, and then just do what ever,

Oh crap this thread is like 3 years old SUPER BUMP!
Mycatisbigfoot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:18 PM   #28
flynz4
macrumors 68040

On my two desks (work and home) I have made wire bundles that put the monitor cable, ethernet cable, usb cable and magport cable all in the exact right spot (I'm not using Firewire). The bundles are held together with zip ties.

Previously I had an IBM Thinkpad with a docking station. I find that connecting my Mac to my wire bundles is about the same speed as docking/undocking my Thinkpad... and a heck of a lot more reliable.

If you do a good job... the connectors will be sitting there all ready to just plug in. They will be oriented correctly and directly facing the proper ports. Sometimes my Magsafe power adapter is already plugged in by itself by the time I get to that side of the laptop.

To do a good job... plug everything in first. Make sure that the cables are not twisted...and then just zip tie them together. Trivial.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:21 PM   #29
de re
macrumors newbie

Bookendz breaks laptop's ports

I bought a Bookendz docking station for a previous Mac laptop and broke 2 ports on the laptop. The lever that plugs in the ports gives you a larger mechanical advantage than one might think. Apple would have charged me for a whole new motherboard so I just bought a new laptop
de re is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 04:04 PM   #30
mayostard
macrumors newbie

it ain't perfect

I just wanted to post a minor defense of the Bookendz docks. First off, as far as I can tell, they're the only option if you want a docking station, since Apple apparently refuses to make on.

Second, the one I have (for an early 2008 model 15" MacBook Pro) actually works quite well. It is very solid and hasn't caused any damage to my MacBook in over a year and a half of daily use.

That said, you do need to follow the directions that come with it. First off, it requires a period of break-in where the connecters adjust to the exact placement of the ports on your MacBook.

Also, I noticed that someone earlier complained about the amount of force the lever applies. It clearly states in the instructions that the lever is NEVER supposed to be used to attach the dock. It is only for detaching it. To attach you have to push it together by hand. Yes, this is janky, but it does ensure you don't apply too much force and damage anything.

Anyway, it certainly isn't as good as using a single-connector dock, but it does work and saves time and cable tangles.
mayostard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 03:21 PM   #31
jdaniel
macrumors 6502a

http://www.dock-a-mac.com/Dock-a-Mac_Home.html

pretty much a port replicator plus one of those stand things built into one...
Old Jan 28, 2010, 03:22 PM   #32
DirtyDan
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to DirtyDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaniel View Post
http://www.dock-a-mac.com/Dock-a-Mac_Home.html

pretty much a port replicator plus one of those stand things built into one...
Says it's for a Macbook, not Macbook Pro. Doesn't really do us any good.
DirtyDan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:10 AM   #33
jdaniel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Says it's for a Macbook, not Macbook Pro. Doesn't really do us any good.
you didnt see the mbp coming soon?
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:09 PM   #34
jwheeler
macrumors regular

looks nice, mbp coming soon please!
jwheeler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 09:05 AM   #35
speedyvespa
macrumors newbie

I'd have one of those Doc-A-Mac things in a heartbeat, were it not for the fact that there isn't one (yet) for the MBP... AND apparently they're built in the USA, priced in dollars but not available to the USA, Europe only? Hmmm....

And there is no contact information - no phone #, email, nada.

Scam?
speedyvespa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 08:54 PM   #36
jsol92
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainjow View Post
For $300 you could put together the most amazing looking cable manager in the world then go eat at IHOP when you're done. Then maybe even take your son's baseball team out for icecream.
jsol92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 01:33 PM   #37
llshuman
macrumors newbie

Henge Docks

Check this out. May be a nicer docking solution for some of you.

www.hengedocks.com
llshuman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 08:33 PM   #38
Goride
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by llshuman View Post
Check this out. May be a nicer docking solution for some of you.

www.hengedocks.com
I'm waiting for them to have them available for the new 15" MBP. I filled out the pre-order form, but it was just to add me to an email list.
Goride is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 01:11 PM   #39
user51
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goride View Post
I'm waiting for them to have them available for the new 15" MBP. I filled out the pre-order form, but it was just to add me to an email list.
I've been waiting for one of these for the MBP -Zemno DeskBook Pro

http://www.zemno.com
user51 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 03:04 PM   #40
pdohara
macrumors newbie

There is an alternative to BookEndz

Henge makes one that people seem to like.
http://www.hengedocks.com/

I don't have one and they are difficult to get I guess, but the people who have them like them.

Pat O
pdohara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:26 PM   #41
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppe View Post
Can't get it to work... Sad (the link i mean)

Anyways. How bout something for the 17inch?

Oh also not to get off topic... I saw someone had a way to connect there Powerbook to there car and I was hoping to do the same with a MBP. Any suggestions or am I just SOL at the moment? I was hoping for a dock of some sort that sat infront of my console center (where my radio and junk is).

Whoa 300... Nevermind.. thats nuts... And seems like it'd take along time to connect anyways...
ttp://www.bookendzdocks.com/Current_Docking_Station-Docking_Station_for_13_Unibody_Apple_Macbook_Pro.html

The Zemno one is my pick.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:42 PM   #42
Disc Golfer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdohara View Post
I don't have one and they are difficult to get I guess, but the people who have them like them.
I got on the waitlist then decided I didn't want one by the time my name came up. They're always available on ebay though.
Disc Golfer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:59 PM   #43
myiphoneadv
macrumors newbie

Henge Docks

Just bought a henge dock for my 15-inch MacBook Pro. Here is a video unboxing and a short review of it. Overall it is pretty nice, and at $65 it the most affordable solutions I've seen.
myiphoneadv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:34 PM   #44
DeadSoulive
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to DeadSoulive
Quote:
Originally Posted by myiphoneadv View Post
Just bought a henge dock for my 15-inch MacBook Pro. Here is a video unboxing and a short review of it. Overall it is pretty nice, and at $65 it the most affordable solutions I've seen.

All the cords are included for $65? The website makes it seem as though the cords are extra. This seems very useful for docking the MBP and connecting it to a HDTV... Anyone found any problems with Hengedocks..?
DeadSoulive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:27 PM   #45
strabes
macrumors regular

I just use this. It's a powered usb hub & ethernet adapter. I combine that with this ($2) for audio. If you need video, just add something like this. It's all modular, cheaper than a dock, and stored neatly and out of sight under my desk thanks to a USB extension cable. If one thing breaks I can just buy that one component instead of having to buy an entire new dock. If you need more usb ports for hard drives, keyboard, mouse, etc, just get another $10 USB hub and plug it into one of the ports on this one. Altogether, when I get home I just plug in the magsafe and 1 usb cable and everything I need is plugged in, and I don't have some ugly plastic dock thing sitting on my desk all the time.

Last edited by strabes; Aug 27, 2011 at 07:53 PM.
strabes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 03:03 AM   #46
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSoulive View Post
All the cords are included for $65? The website makes it seem as though the cords are extra. This seems very useful for docking the MBP and connecting it to a HDTV... Anyone found any problems with Hengedocks..?
To get all the plugs lined up perfectly is a mission. Not worth it in my opinion.

Thunderbolt is the way to go these days, when solutions arrive.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 05:22 PM   #47
mknabster
macrumors regular

I know this is a really old thread now, but I just bought one of these for my 15in MBP for $15 at an auction, and it does what it needs to do, even though the VGA connector doesn't work, the USB ports don't provide enough power, and for some reason, my computer keeps having wireless problems. But overall, it's nice to streamline everything towards the back, but i would never pay the full retail for it.
mknabster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:00 PM   #48
Graemeruk
macrumors newbie

Dock for MacBook Pro

You should try the brand new KwikDock.. manages all your cables and there's an integrated iPhone , iPad, iPod dock and you can use your MacBook Pro open or closed . AND ITS PORTABLE www.kwikdock.com
Graemeruk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:02 PM   #49
The-Pro
macrumors 65816

I use this: http://www.zalman.com/global/product...ad.php?Idx=397
It gives me too extra USB ports put the main thing is that it has a SATA dock inside it. So I was able to put my original 2,5" HDD out of the MBP into that as an external.
The cooling system is good and quiet, but the MBP does not get cooler at all. it wasnt bought for that purpose either though
I like the angle it puts the notebook at.
2012 15" 2.6 i7 AG MBP, 2009 17" AG MBP, 2009 8C 2.26 MP, 2010 4c MP,2010+07 MM, 17" 2007 MBP,20" iMac G5,17" PB G4,4x30"CD,2x23" CD, G3's,G4's, 17"iMac g4,iMac G3 turquoise,macintoshes dating to 1985
The-Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:58 PM   #50
designs216
macrumors 65816

Since Apple displays have built in hubs and only require two cable connections, there is no need for a docking station. Apple would be canabalizing their display business to create one. The BookArc is not a doc but saves desktop space and is visually compatible with your MBP.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice