Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Right. So few the past few months, when I press the power-on button of my G3 iBook (600MHz, dual USB), its taken a few presses to get it going. Now I can't get the laptop going at all! I'm running 10.3.9, I've had no problems with RAM, I've reset the power-unit by pressing the reset button, the battery is charged and the charger works... so what can I do?

Any help useful to save my laptop!

mofs

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
MOFS said:
Right. So few the past few months, when I press the power-on button of my G3 iBook (600MHz, dual USB), its taken a few presses to get it going. Now I can't get the laptop going at all! I'm running 10.3.9, I've had no problems with RAM, I've reset the power-unit by pressing the reset button, the battery is charged and the charger works... so what can I do?

Any help useful to save my laptop!

mofs

A clue is that is takes several times hitting the power button. Perhaps the button itself is worn out and no longer sends the signal. You may be able to fix it by opening up the computer and inspecting and cleaning the connection for the power button.

Wippet

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2006
spinne1 said:
A clue is that is takes several times hitting the power button. Perhaps the button itself is worn out and no longer sends the signal. You may be able to fix it by opening up the computer and inspecting and cleaning the connection for the power button.

This is not the power button, iBook G3's are very well known for their logic board failures (some have had them replaced 4-5 times). Apple set up a Logic Board Repair service for this, which now only covers iBook G3 Dual USB's bought in the last 3 years.

Try applying firm pressure to the left palm rest this may help it to start as the logic board failure is basicly the graphics chip gets too hot and becomes de soldered from the logic board resulting in a failure.
http://www.apple.com/uk/support/ibook/faq/

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
mad jew said:
Is it not responding to the power button at all or does it give some hint that it knows you've tried starting it up? :)

All you can hear is the click of the button as you depress it.

In terms of fixing the power button, does anyone know how you'd access the button? When you release the keyboard, all I can access is the Airport card and the RAM. Is there a way to actually get into the plastic shell?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.