Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Oct 21, 2006, 09:38 PM   #1
2ms
macrumors 6502

How to burn data CD-R?

How do I burn data files? I cant even find any way to access or mount the Superdrive. I am trying to burn an iso
2ms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 09:45 PM   #2
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ms
How do I burn data files? I cant even find any way to access or mount the Superdrive. I am trying to burn an iso
I am not sure that I understand your question.

If you mean, how can I back up some files by creating a data CD-R? If so, then:

- Insert a blank CD-R into your superdrive. You will get a pop up dialog about what to do with the blank CD-R. Click OK, which will mount an image of the CD-R onto your desktop.

- Copy and paste any files that you want to save onto the CD-R image.

- When finished, select BURN DISC under the EDIT menu of the Finder. Or you can right click on the CD-R image and select BURN DISC.

That's it.
sushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:18 PM   #3
SmurfBoxMasta
macrumors 65816

Location: If you come into the forest really late at night, I might tell you...or nOt :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ms
you dont "mount" an optical drive, only the disks you put into them.
CD's, DVD's ect will mount when inserted, and Hard drives will when installed and formatted
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:20 PM   #4
2ms
macrumors 6502

Ok that did the trick thanks. Is there any other way of opening the Disk Utility app if that is the only way to burn data files? Just curious. For me it seems little odd that it requires physical act of inserting media to launch to the app. For example, I had already had a CD-R in drive for a while so I had to eject and then reinsert so just wondering if there other way of doing it than just the "autolaunch" way.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:23 PM   #5
2ms
macrumors 6502

Smurfboxmasta, the thing is that I already had the CD-R in there so was trying to find way of mounting it but couldn't. The method of ejecting it and then reinserting triggered the launch of Disk Utility but I do wish there was more direct way of mounting disk that is already in the drive.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:23 PM   #6
Chundles
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ms
Ok that did the trick thanks. Is there any other way of opening the Disk Utility app if that is the only way to burn data files? Just curious. For me it seems little odd that it requires physical act of inserting media to launch to the app. For example, I had already had a CD-R in drive for a while so I had to eject and then reinsert so just wondering if there other way of doing it than just the "autolaunch" way.
Well, Disk Utility is only needed if you're burning iso files. All other data you just drag onto the disk icon and then hit "Burn."
Old Oct 22, 2006, 05:32 AM   #7
SmurfBoxMasta
macrumors 65816

Location: If you come into the forest really late at night, I might tell you...or nOt :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ms
If you already have a disk in the drive, opening DU should show it in the sidebar. Opening DU is like opening any other app, just dbl click on it's icon in the apps folder. Even better is to find DU in the apps folder, clik & hold on it's icon, and drag it to the dock. Once thats done, you only have to click on it once to open it!

You can also check your finder prefs, to see if you want the mounted disks to show up on the desktop and/or finder sidebar

And you can burn basic data files in the finder using drag & drop, but not ISO images......

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help