Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rickay726

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
New Jersey
so as you can see from the tittle of this thread i maxed out my g5 on ram, which is only a total of 2.5 gb but i really like the performance, definitly helps alot with alot more demanding programs. =) im so hapy i finally got this done! any body else have there g5 maxed out?

Rickay726

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
New Jersey
sorry i meant to say that but left it out, i wneet from 512 and added a 2gb stick becuase theres only 2 slots for ram

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Superdrive said:
Maybe I'm wrong (not checking at this second) but could you not max at 4gb? 2x 2gb?

No, the Rev C. iMac has two RAM slots but only one is user-accessible. The Rev C. iMac had 512MB built in and could take up to 2GB in the other slot which was accessed via a small panel. I think the internal 512MB is soldered in.

uspcommuter

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
I upgraded!!!! hehehe it was a great investment. I dont think I can ever go less than 2 gigs of ram ever, especially when I am running Photoshop :)

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Chundles said:
No, the Rev C. iMac has two RAM slots but only one is user-accessible. The Rev C. iMac had 512MB built in and could take up to 2GB in the other slot which was accessed via a small panel. I think the internal 512MB is soldered in.

Ahh, makes sense. I really dislike soldered memory in smaller computers. If one goes bad (in my experience) it's always that one. I'm sure Murphy's law agrees with me there.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Rickay726 said:
so as you can see from the tittle of this thread i maxed out my g5 on ram, which is only a total of 2.5 gb but i really like the performance, definitly helps alot with alot more demanding programs. =) im so hapy i finally got this done! any body else have there g5 maxed out?

Mind if I ask where you get that 2GB RAM of yours...? :D

Dark

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
Chundles said:

What about the REV. B iMac g5. Im almost 100 percent positive the stock 512MB is removable. Im asking because I threw in a 1 gig stick a while ago but I want to throw in a 2 gig in the place of the 512. I just cant remember for sure if it was removable.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Nice upgrade Rickay726, adding RAM is a great way to speed up your computer. Especially going from 512MB to 2.5GB! :D :)

Dark said:
What about the REV. B iMac g5. Im almost 100 percent positive the stock 512MB is removable. Im asking because I threw in a 1 gig stick a while ago but I want to throw in a 2 gig in the place of the 512. I just cant remember for sure if it was removable.

The Rev B iMac G5 does sport two accessible RAM slots, but it only supports up to 2GB of RAM total.

Dark

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
dmw007 said:
Nice upgrade Rickay726, adding RAM is a great way to speed up your computer. Especially going from 512MB to 2.5GB! :D :)

The Rev B iMac G5 does sport two accessible RAM slots, but it only supports up to 2GB of RAM total.

How does that work? I don't get it.

Dark

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
JDT said:
There's 2 RAM slots.

You can't have more than 2GB total RAM.

ie: 2 x 1GB [1 x 1GB stick in each slot] is the most it can take.

I know that....what I'm trying to say is why cant you just stick a 2 gig ram stick in there . Why would it not support it. Its not like the slots are different sizes. Why cant the iMac physically support more than 2 gigs of ram.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Dark said:
I know that....what I'm trying to say is why cant you just stick a 2 gig ram stick in there . Why would it not support it. Its not like the slots are different sizes. Why cant the iMac physically support more than 2 gigs of ram.

I believe that the chipset on the iMac G5's logic board is what limits the amount of RAM that can be recognized. :eek:

Dark

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
dmw007 said:
I believe that the chipset on the iMac G5's logic board is what limits the amount of RAM that can be recognized. :eek:

Ahhh, I see now. Thanks for clearing that up.

I really need a Mac Pro, considering the countless hours I spent in Aperture. However I thought if I bumped up my ram some more maybe I could get away with it on my iMac.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Dark said:
Ahhh, I see now. Thanks for clearing that up.

I really need a Mac Pro, considering the countless hours I spent in Aperture. However I thought if I bumped up my ram some more maybe I could get away with it on my iMac.

No problem, it would be nice though if you could slap two 2GB dimms into an iMac, but alas this is not the case. :eek: :)

A Mac Pro would be the ideal system for you since you seem to spend a good deal of time using Aperture. Unfortunately, a new Mac Pro costs a good deal more than the RAM would. :eek:

2ms

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
whoa Rickay726 didn't that 2GB stick cost like $600 or something? If so, damn that's hardcore when 1GB sticks are like $150

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
the iMac G5 iSight models support upto 2.5GB of ram.

512 is built in. You can upgrade with a 512, 1Gb or 2Gb stick as there is ONE user accessible slot. Its under a cover on the bottom with the fans.

I put a 1Gb stick in mine to give me 1.5Gb, the 2Gb stick was too much for what its worth.

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
Willis said:
the iMac G5 iSight models support upto 2.5GB of ram.

512 is built in. You can upgrade with a 512, 1Gb or 2Gb stick as there is ONE user accessible slot. Its under a cover on the bottom with the fans.

I put a 1Gb stick in mine to give me 1.5Gb, the 2Gb stick was too much for what its worth.

And the Intel C2D iMacs have accessible two slots, which as standard contain 2X 512Mb right ?

Dark

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
dmw007 said:
No problem, it would be nice though if you could slap two 2GB dimms into an iMac, but alas this is not the case. :eek: :)

A Mac Pro would be the ideal system for you since you seem to spend a good deal of time using Aperture. Unfortunately, a new Mac Pro costs a good deal more than the RAM would. :eek:

Exactly.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Macmadant said:
wait a minute isn't the Memory cap on G5 iMacs 2GB, and 3GB for the new C2D ones ?

iMac G5
Rev A: 2GB RAM
Rev B: 2GB RAM
Rev C: 2.5GB RAM (one accessible slot for adding RAM)

iMac CD: 2GB RAM

iMac C2D: 3GB RAM

2ms

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Does C2D iMac lose some memory bandwidth though when you go up to 3GB? It is dual channel memory system which is great bc more bandwith that way, however, I thought to have it operate as dual-channel the two sticks need to be identical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.