Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:06 AM   #1
audio
macrumors newbie

Audio in web: apps / tips?

Hi everyone, this is my first post here by the way... Mainly because I switched to Mac just a couple of weeks ago.

I was using Acid Music for editing audio tracks to prepare them for web publishing (samples in reviews) or eventually to create a compilation with fluent transitions between tracks.

Do you know any Universal App (I have a mac mini Intel Core Duo, 1.83 with 1gig of Ram) that can perform these tasks? I tried Audio Hijack but it doesn't render in .mov which is necessary for me.. What does Apple's Logic Express? I haven't seen it yet in action.

To conclude: I'm looking for an App that allows rendering with a wide range of customizable options like format (.mov with qdesign would be great!), bit- and sample rates. Have you any idea? I'd be glad to hear your experiences!

Last edited by audio; Oct 23, 2006 at 04:43 AM. Reason: changes of main topic
audio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 05:03 PM   #2
scottlinux
macrumors 6502a

Logic Express is what you are looking for. I don't think it exports in .mov (That's not really an audio format, but a container.) Logic and Logic Express can export as AIFF, WAV, SDII, MP3, AAC, at any bit and sample rates, or burn straight to CD.

The program Quicktime can open any audio file and then save as a quicktime .mov. (You may need quicktime pro, not sure).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickTime
scottlinux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 04:40 AM   #3
audio
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply Scott. I will try to look at LE in a store then. I didn't know much about the QuickTime format, so the wikilink was useful as well!

I still got another question... The thought behind using .mov was to be sure that anyone browsing the site uses the same software to load the soundfiles, being independent both of platform and computer settings (browser or player). Because I don't have the time to create a flash player, I thought this was the only way. Is there another maybe?
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:17 PM   #4
scottlinux
macrumors 6502a

Lots of website use a flash based player to demo music, simply to keep someone from taking and using their music! There are of course ways around this, but it's a safeguard from people just downloading your music. Also, flash is available for Linux x86, OS X, and Windows so you are right, a large user base on different platforms.

Like the demos from this company on their site:
http://www.clear-perceptions.com/en/home.html

The other standard out there on the web now is just to have your music as an mp3 file for download. Though you should be aware this is literally giving the person the exact mp3 file, which you may or may not want to do. MP3 files can be listened to/downloaded, etc on any platform. So it is just as universal (in fact more so) than flash for any browser and operating system.

Like this composer does:

http://www.kurtrohde.com/listen.html
scottlinux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:04 PM   #5
zimv20
macrumors 601

fwiw, my band does give away mp3s. we license them under one of the creative commons schemes.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 04:21 PM   #6
audio
macrumors newbie

Hm... Thanks you two. I don't like the idea of putting the mp3 up for download very much, just because I think many won't bother to download them since it is more comfortable to access the sample directly in the review as an embedded element also in terms of layout etc. Also, since I'm not owning the copyrights for the audio files it may be a legal issue. I will probably give it a try though, just reading a bit more about it. Your help is appreciated!

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio