Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hunabku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Turtle Island
Wasn't sure i should call the finder an application as it is part of the os. I was wondering in which directory/pkg it lives so that i can assign unique mouse buttons set to it.

thanks

Reactions: AwesomeSheep

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app

BTW, you can add a Quit Finder to the Finder menu, either with something like TinkerTool, or using Terminal and this command: defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem -bool yes

Reactions: AwesomeSheep

benjaminaho

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2010
United States
If "Finder" is considered to be an application used by Mac OS X, Just as "Dock" is, then wouldn't "Dock" be in your dock, just as "Finder" is?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
If "Finder" is considered to be an application used by Mac OS X, Just as "Dock" is, then wouldn't "Dock" be in your dock, just as "Finder" is?

Wut? The OS X dock is just an application. Nothing actually resides in there, well other than Spaces, Exposé, and Dashboard, but that's a little different.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando

Many applications don't display a Dock icon. Just a few I have running right now include Plex Media Server, Facebook Notifications, Quicksilver, FuzzyClock. Besides, the Finder does have an icon in the Dock, so I'm not really sure what you're suggesting anyways.

There's obviously no need for the Dock to display a Dock icon, so of course it's among those that doesn't.

jW

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Among the items in my Applications Folder:
Expose
Spaces

But, no Dock or Finder. Now I know that Finder is an Application, but I've never thought of Dock that way. But, there it is, along with Finder, and Spotlight. (Dock and Spotlight being in System Preferences, as are Expose and Spaces)

I find that interesting.

qfox44

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2011
Find the core services folder, it should be there. Just follow your way with the folders whose icons have X's on them.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Find the core services folder, it should be there. Just follow your way with the folders whose icons have X's on them.

Before you answer a question, it's always a good idea to take a look at the date it was asked. Thanks for the effort, but chances are this guy has moved on by now. I suggest you take a look at quick links->today's posts to see current threads where the users are still expecting a response.

MacTheKnife

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone know where the Finder app is in Lion?

I installed Lion about a week ago. After a week of smooth operation, I accidentally reset the defaults on my Logitech keyboard, so the button that previously pointed to the Finder app no longer does. I was trying to reset it to do so but now I am having difficulty finding where the Finder app resides.

It used to be in system/library/core services/finder.app, but I can't find this on Lion. Whether it is still called Finder.app or something different, I know something comparable exists because I was able to use the keyboard shortcut to access it before I accidentally reset the default settings.

Does anyone know the answer? Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just started Finder in Lion and inspected it in Activity Monitor and it shows the below location.

Code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder

I suspect you cannot see CoreServices in Finder because it is hidden.

MacTheKnife

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I just started Finder in Lion and inspected it in Activity Monitor and it shows the below location.

Code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder

I suspect you cannot see CoreServices in Finder because it is hidden.

Thanks Weaselboy!

Yes you're absolutely right--I wasn't able to view hidden files but I finally figured out how to do it. (Actually I downloaded Path Finder yesterday and it has an option to view hidden files; I still don't know how to view hidden files on Finder but I am going to look into it after I finish this message.)

Anyway I was able to set up my keyboard shortcut to point to the Finder app again so I'm happy. :) Thanks again for your response!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.