Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:13 AM   #1
Hunabku
macrumors regular

Where does the Finder "application" live?

Wasn't sure i should call the finder an application as it is part of the os. I was wondering in which directory/pkg it lives so that i can assign unique mouse buttons set to it.

thanks
Hunabku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:55 AM   #2
Mitthrawnuruodo

/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app

BTW, you can add a Quit Finder to the Finder menu, either with something like TinkerTool, or using Terminal and this command: defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem -bool yes

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Oct 23, 2006 at 04:01 AM.
Mitthrawnuruodo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:57 PM   #3
benjaminaho
macrumors member

If "Finder" is considered to be an application used by Mac OS X, Just as "Dock" is, then wouldn't "Dock" be in your dock, just as "Finder" is?
benjaminaho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:59 PM   #4
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminaho View Post
If "Finder" is considered to be an application used by Mac OS X, Just as "Dock" is, then wouldn't "Dock" be in your dock, just as "Finder" is?
Wut? The OS X dock is just an application. Nothing actually resides in there, well other than Spaces, Exposť, and Dashboard, but that's a little different.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Mal
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminaho View Post
Many applications don't display a Dock icon. Just a few I have running right now include Plex Media Server, Facebook Notifications, Quicksilver, FuzzyClock. Besides, the Finder does have an icon in the Dock, so I'm not really sure what you're suggesting anyways.

There's obviously no need for the Dock to display a Dock icon, so of course it's among those that doesn't.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Among the items in my Applications Folder:
Expose
Spaces

But, no Dock or Finder. Now I know that Finder is an Application, but I've never thought of Dock that way. But, there it is, along with Finder, and Spotlight. (Dock and Spotlight being in System Preferences, as are Expose and Spaces)

I find that interesting.
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 01:50 PM   #7
qfox44
macrumors newbie

Find the core services folder, it should be there. Just follow your way with the folders whose icons have X's on them.
qfox44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 02:45 PM   #8
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by qfox44 View Post
Find the core services folder, it should be there. Just follow your way with the folders whose icons have X's on them.
Before you answer a question, it's always a good idea to take a look at the date it was asked. Thanks for the effort, but chances are this guy has moved on by now. I suggest you take a look at quick links->today's posts to see current threads where the users are still expecting a response.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 05:43 PM   #9
MacTheKnife
macrumors newbie

Does anyone know where the Finder app is in Lion?

I installed Lion about a week ago. After a week of smooth operation, I accidentally reset the defaults on my Logitech keyboard, so the button that previously pointed to the Finder app no longer does. I was trying to reset it to do so but now I am having difficulty finding where the Finder app resides.

It used to be in system/library/core services/finder.app, but I can't find this on Lion. Whether it is still called Finder.app or something different, I know something comparable exists because I was able to use the keyboard shortcut to access it before I accidentally reset the default settings.

Does anyone know the answer? Thanks
MacTheKnife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Weaselboy
macrumors G4

I just started Finder in Lion and inspected it in Activity Monitor and it shows the below location.

Code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder
I suspect you cannot see CoreServices in Finder because it is hidden.
Weaselboy is online now   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:27 AM   #11
MacTheKnife
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I just started Finder in Lion and inspected it in Activity Monitor and it shows the below location.

Code:
/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder
I suspect you cannot see CoreServices in Finder because it is hidden.
Thanks Weaselboy!

Yes you're absolutely right--I wasn't able to view hidden files but I finally figured out how to do it. (Actually I downloaded Path Finder yesterday and it has an option to view hidden files; I still don't know how to view hidden files on Finder but I am going to look into it after I finish this message.)

Anyway I was able to set up my keyboard shortcut to point to the Finder app again so I'm happy. Thanks again for your response!
MacTheKnife is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X