Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Marketplace Archive 2

Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:46 AM   #1
skoker
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to skoker Send a message via Skype™ to skoker
(*Caution*)Please Read before dealing with Max on Macs

[Note: I know that these kind of threads are frowned upon, but I exhausted all of the options I've had.]

If you are thinking about buying or selling with Max On Macs, I urge you to think twice. He'll seem like a nice guy at first, but then he'll real you in and screw you over.

Here's my story

In the end of August/beginning of September, I posted this thread , to which Max contacted me wanting to work out a deal to trade for a busted up PowerBook. I was interested in the deal, but after I was unable to commit the xbox to him, we began to work out a cash deal for me to purchase a clamshell iBook, Mac mini, and PowerBook G4 from him, for an amount of money that I will not disclose. He told me that he was an Apple Authorized Retailer (and seemed to be able to back it up), and that he would offer me the products for a discount as he wanted to start moving them, and needed to build up some feedback. I agreed to it, and promised that I would do him the favor of giving him positive feedback to whoever enquired to me (via phone/email/PM/AIM). I sent him the money (this was on a Saturday) and he told me that same day that I would have it within 8 days, which would be the next Monday.

The Monday came and went, and nothing arrived. I asked Max where my stuff was, and he said the 'I always ship 10-14 days' and said that if I did not have the stuff by the next Wednesday, to let him know and he would look into it.

The next week and a half came and went, and nothing. At this point, I could not even talk to Max because he was not responding to my IM's and emails and PM's here on MR. I eventually got an IM from somebody claiming to be his "sexy housewife girlfriend-type thing" (I am not making this up folks!) and she said that Max was away for school for two weeks and that I'd have to wait for him to get back. She later told me that the package bounced back, and that it looked like Max never put my address on it or it fell off. She promised that she would send it out within the week, and we agree that I would send an extra $60 to cover the difference between Royal Mail and FedEX so that I could track it. She promised to send it out on a Wednesday, and Wednesday came and went, and nothing got shipped.

I eventually heard back from Max on the following Sunday (this is now mid October, for those keeping score), and he told me that it still had not been shipped, and he wanted to send me a refund, but the refund would not even cover everything that I had sent to him and the fees that I had incurred. We eventually agreed to a refund amount (that really did not satisfy me, but at this point I just wanted to get as much back as I could). I wanted him to ship me the products that I bought, but he claimed that he 'lost them', and I replied by asking why he could not just send out a new set, after he told me that he had millions of them lying around. He refused, and promised to send the money back to me within 3 days. Three days came and went (notice the pattern?) and I got nothing. Another week went by, and I got nothing. Eventually he told me that he had to go to Leeds to take a friend to a funeral, but offered no apology or explanation as to why he missed the date he said he would send.

Fast forward another 2 weeks to today, a promise from him that money would be sent on last Friday, and a $500 + hole in my pocket (I did get my $60 back), an entire summers worth of money gone.

Max, if you read this, and I hope you do, I want the money sent IMMEDIATELY to me. I've already contacted the local police as well as other agencies.

Your comments/support are appreciated.

~skoker
skoker is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:19 PM   #2
techound1
macrumors 68000

I feel for you, man. Keep us posted!
techound1 is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:25 PM   #3
xfiftyfour
macrumors 68030

From his profile picture, he looks like a kid. Definitely does not look like he could possibly be an authorized reseller.

But, besides that, I became suspicious of Max on Macs in this thread. Because of the prices, most yelled scam, and he just abandoned it, rather than offer an explanation or defense.

Later, I posted a feeler for trade thread, looking to possibly trade my MB for a PowerMac, and he PMed me, interested. I told him straight up that I wasn't interested in doing business with him - I couldn't prove he was a scammer, but when dealing on the internet, I go with my first instincts.

Sorry you're having such a tough time with this! I hope that it gets sorted soon..! Definitely keep us posted.
xfiftyfour is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:32 PM   #4
skoker
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to skoker Send a message via Skype™ to skoker
He wasn't exactally nice eithor. He kept telling me to ******* myself and was talking trash about the United States.
skoker is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:33 PM   #5
xfiftyfour
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoker
He wasn't exactally nice eithor. He kept telling me to ******* myself and was talking trash about the United States.
Oh yeah, he sounds top-notch.

I wonder how it'll work for you with him being in the UK and you in the US. Will it be harder to bring in authorities to help get it resolved?
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:37 PM   #6
Shadow
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Shadow
Its for this reason that I stay away from eBay, etc. Also cos I'm skint ! I do feel for you, I hate losing any amount of money, can't imagine loosing $500/£267.28 (thank you dashboard )!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:42 PM   #7
xfiftyfour
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG
Its for this reason that I stay away from eBay, etc. Also cos I'm skint ! I do feel for you, I hate losing any amount of money, can't imagine loosing $500/£267.28 (thank you dashboard )!
At least on eBay you have the feedback feature, as well as a dispute system in place already. I'd almost prefer to do business on eBay than on here, sometimes - of course most times everything works out great on here.. but it just takes once! And on here there's almost no recourse for the scammed except authorities.. and that quickly becomes a tricky and sticky and complicated situation.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:48 PM   #8
techound1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfiftyfour
And on here there's almost no recourse for the scammed except authorities.. and that quickly becomes a tricky and sticky and complicated situation.
A fellow forum member once gave me this piece of advice and it's worked well:

Keep your paypal balance empty and pay for everything through a credit card via paypal. That way you've got two sets of dogs to sick on the offender, should something go awry.
techound1 is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:51 PM   #9
xfiftyfour
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by techound1
A fellow forum member once gave me this piece of advice and it's worked well:

Keep your paypal balance empty and pay for everything through a credit card via paypal. That way you've got two sets of dogs to sick on the offender, should something go awry.
Very good suggestion. I do that, anyways, just because - hadn't thought of the extra benefits of that habit!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:53 PM   #10
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

nothing to add, other than to wish you some resolution. Keep us updated.
MacRumorUser is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:57 PM   #11
applekid
macrumors 68020

Demanding photos always helps, too.

Well good luck to you, skoker. What a prick, that guy.

I like how his personal webpage's account is suspended. You'd think with the money he stole from you, he could actually pay for webhosting.
applekid is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:59 PM   #12
asencif
macrumors 6502

Another MR scammer...

I see that as this forum has grown, so has the potential for scams. There is another thread.... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=205561&page=3 ...Where a few people got scammed in a few deals which seemed to be planned as one big scam by the culprit. The marketplace seems to be generally filled with good business people. however now is the time to start protecting ourselves more or become more aware. Eventhough with these suggestions there is still potential for fraud at least is something that can help filer out some scammers...

1. Make posting Pics(more than 1) a must.
2. Various forms of feedback - through MR members, ebay feedbacks..etc..
3. Pay with a paypal account and credit card through there. (No wire transfers, money orders..etc)
4. Require more contact info like AIM, Business phone, etc...

Hope some of that can help for future MR members.
asencif is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:17 PM   #13
ReanimationLP
macrumors 68030

Ouch.

Man, thats gotta blow chunks.

Hope you get your money back Skoker.

Stuff for Sale :3
ReanimationLP is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:21 PM   #14
XIII
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to XIII Send a message via MSN to XIII Send a message via Skype™ to XIII
I have also been scammed over by Max.. long story but I did get my money back. Definitely steer clear.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:26 PM   #15
asencif
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII
I have also been scammed over by Max.. long story but I did get my money back. Definitely steer clear.
How long did it take for you to get your $$$ back? Maybe we should have a sticky post here on MR with a list of scammers so they won't try to comeback every 3 months with the same name and try to fool someone else.
asencif is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:37 PM   #16
jlcharles
macrumors 6502

what a douche. How did you pay him? I've made it a point to avoid using anything other than paypal for just this reason.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:44 PM   #17
bartelby
macrumors Core

hahahaha I like his profile!
Quote:
Computer:
MacBook Pro 15-inch
Biography:
I'm sexy, intelligent and entertaining.
Interests:
Computers, Cars, Walking, Cycling, Drinking, Partying...
Managing Director
and his website has been suspended.
bartelby is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:49 PM   #18
xfiftyfour
macrumors 68030

gosh, 16. someone ought to call his parents! hahaha.. wouldn't that just be the best. or just have the cops show up on his doorstep. that's a bad day.

he obviously sees this marketplace as free money, and doesn't feel any responsibility toward it - someone needs to lay the law for him and bring him back down to reality.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:51 PM   #19
bartelby
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfiftyfour
gosh, 16. someone ought to call his parents! hahaha.. wouldn't that just be the best. or just have the cops show up on his doorstep. that's a bad day.

he obviously sees this marketplace as free money, and doesn't feel any responsibility toward it - someone needs to lay the law for him and bring him back down to reality.

"Mum, Dad. I've been arrested for fraud! Can you bail me out?"
bartelby is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:55 PM   #20
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartelby
"Mum, Dad. I've been arrested for fraud! Can you bail me out?"
"But son, if you used your intelligence you wouldnt be in this mess, maybe you should use your sexiness to get you out."
MacRumorUser is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:58 PM   #21
bartelby
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser
"But son, if you used your intelligence you wouldnt be in this mess, maybe you should use your sexiness to get you out."

"But mum!!! I've gotta go out drinking and partying!!!"
*starts stamping feet*
bartelby is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:18 PM   #22
Mac-Addict
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartelby
"But mum!!! I've gotta go out drinking and partying!!!"
*starts stamping feet*
"Now Now son calm down, Ohh a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo 2 gb 160gb mac mini for£260! *Buys*"
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:29 PM   #23
savanahrose
macrumors 6502a

I read about this one teenager from the u.s. that scammed thousands of dollars from unsuspecting buyers.

That is with numerous pictures being posted. I don't ever buy something expensive from any site on the internet just for that reason. He would send them a very much used computer that did not work. He got caught. Now I think he is serving time in prison for it.

Good luck buddy!!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:36 PM   #24
davidjearly
macrumors 68000

Here's some more info on him....

Skoker, I have emailed you some pretty useful info I think.

To Max Tappenden, I suggest you contact the OP VERY SOON, or he might just contact your college and send you a visit from the Police.

Regards, David

Last edited by davidjearly; Oct 23, 2006 at 03:47 PM.
davidjearly is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:39 PM   #25
bartelby
macrumors Core

Wow, assuming they're not exdirectory there aren't many Tappenden's in MK.
bartelby is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Marketplace Archive 2