Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret posts some more screenshots from the latest build of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (9A283).

Meanwhile, Apple posted a Leopard Technology Overview document for developers. Apple details several features for Leopard which are drawing some attention:

Resolution Independence
In Leopard, the system, including the Carbon and Cocoa frameworks, will be able to draw user interface elements using a scale factor. This will let the user interface maintain the same physical size while gaining resolution and crispness from high dpi displays.

OpenGL Improvements
Leopard also provides a dramatic increase in OpenGL performance by offloading CPU-based processing onto another thread which can then run on a separate CPU core feeding the GPU. This can increase, or in some cases, even double the performance of OpenGL-based applications.

QuickTime Improvements
QuickTime’s plumbing is receiving significant upgrades in Leopard. There have been significant enhancements in handling the H.264 encoding. Also, transparent alpha layers, an optional part of the H.264 specification, are now supported in H.264-based QuickTime movies. And finally, QuickTime supports 64-bit.

OpenGL Improvements were previously described in August after WWDC. This new Multithreaded OpenGL has already been incorporated in the Mac Pro's version of Mac OS X 10.4.8.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
quietmind said:
i suspect we'll see leopard released in january.
That would be really, really nice. I'm looking forward to this release a lot, especially for the opengl improvements. But it still won't keep me from buying a new laptop now. This will definitely be worth $129

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
I still don't see anything too great that every user needs. The parental controls are looking really nice, especially limiting hours on school nights etc. I'm hoping some super-secret features will really make me jump for it next March.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
The Finder brushed metal will be the last surprise change to the UI. Brushed metal is so 2004. Probably we'll see a radical change to Finder?

My guess, we'll see buttons and soft gradients, like those on the Apple store (Mac Book Pro) pages.

leopardbutton.png

irbdavid

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
One of the things that bugs me quite a bit in tiger is the video mirroring - it always runs at the native resolution of the lower-res display, presumably now with this new feature this won't matter, and both displays can be run at their native resolutions whilst still being mirrored?

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
quietmind said:
i suspect we'll see leopard released in january.

I hope you are wrong :)

I want Apple to take the time that is needed to clean and update their APIs as best they can... the 64 bit API switch is their best chance and only near term chance to clean house.

gavd

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2006
abrooks said:
Not unless January is in the Spring, which is when Apple has officially said Leopard will be released.

Steve likes to beat deadlines though...

STLSigns

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2006
USA
More news is good news!

I would like to think that quicktime encoding enhancements might be part of a solution with the "iTV" and future "vPod"...digital media in general.

It's been an great year for Apple it makes happy to be a Apple user since my first IIe.

The future is bright!

STLSigns

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2006
USA
1/2 correct thread

powermac_daddy said:
lame update for the Macbook Pro.

looking forward for the next update in 2007 - OX 10.5 on macbook pro, then i'm ready to throw out $3,000.
"Lame"? More machince, same price. I've never call better lame.
But I do agree if you can wait a few more months, a great MBP will be ready with your name on it.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Wow, there's some pretty spiffy stuff in there that most people might not notice, including:

Picture Taker Panel
iChat Integration
Xcode Improvements

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I'm thinking a January release to compete with Vista. I wouldn't mind if they delayed until March to cram more features in, but at that point there's little they can do. Otherwise the Vista vs. reviews will be vs. Tiger not Leopard which will mean that Apple won't look like the innovator that it is. I suspect a free "10.6" may come in about a year with more business (and other) features to compete with SP1 (when they start buying Vista.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.