Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:22 PM   #1
darrengreer
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Speck SeeThru Case For Macbook Pro - Mini Review

I received my new Macbook Pro See Thru case from Speck on Monday. I promised I'd post some of my thoughts on the product.

Installation:
Installation was a snap...pun intended. There are two plastic sections, the top having 4 tabs that snap over the edge of the screen, the bottom having 2 tabs, and some hooks that grab on to the back.

The installation also brings my first concern. These tabs, as they are sliding over the end of the MBP could potentially scractch the edge, as it is a _very_ snug fit. I've not seen any scratches on mine, but I would not get this if you plan on taking it on and off. Put it on, and leave it on.

Protection:
I am very happy with how the case protects the macbook pro. I don't think it will provide much, if any, impact protection, but I feel much safer lugging it around in my bag, without worrying about picking some new nicks. The case covers just about all of the MBP, with the only openings on each button or port, and section of the back where the vents are.

Aesthetics:
I really like the way the MBP looks in this case. It gives it a bit of a shine, and doesn't seem to make it look much bulkier that normal. I went with the clear case, but am interested as to what the red version would like like on the MBP.

Heat:
This was my biggest concern. I used the MBP for about 1-2 hours last night, and didn't notice an increase in the heat on the MBP, and iStat didn't show any significant increases in CPU temperature. The case seems to dissipate the heat through the vent holes, as well as through the plastic itself, so it feels about the same as not having the case on at all.

Overall:
For the price, I think it is a great buy. Outside of the tab scratching concern, I think this product is solid, and definately provides a benefit to those of us who are very wary of getting scratches on our MBPs.

Here are some pictures of my MBP with the case installed:

http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5085.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5086.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5087.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5088.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5089.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5090.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5091.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5092.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5093.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5094.jpg
__________________
Macbook Pro - 15"
2.16 Ghz
2 x 1G DIMM
200GB 7200 RPM
darrengreer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 11:12 PM   #2
Bill Gates
macrumors 68020
 
Bill Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
FYI, I called Speck this morning and they said that they will have an updated version of the case available in a few weeks for the new MacBook Pro.
__________________
Mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro / 2.66GHz / 8GB RAM / 240GB SSD
64GB iPhone 6 Minus
Bill Gates is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:28 AM   #3
interlaced
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gates
FYI, I called Speck this morning and they said that they will have an updated version of the case available in a few weeks for the new MacBook Pro.
Wait, so the SeeThru case they sell now won't fit the new MBPs? Hm..
interlaced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 02:03 AM   #4
Bill Gates
macrumors 68020
 
Bill Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by marissaaa
Wait, so the SeeThru case they sell now won't fit the new MBPs? Hm..
It should fit, but remember they changed the ports a tad since it now has FW800 in place of one FW400 port. I'm not sure if that port is useable or what the deal is exactly when the current case is used.
__________________
Mid-2010 15" MacBook Pro / 2.66GHz / 8GB RAM / 240GB SSD
64GB iPhone 6 Minus
Bill Gates is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 02:13 AM   #5
interlaced
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gates
It should fit, but remember they changed the ports a tad since it now has FW800 in place of one FW400 port. I'm not sure if that port is useable or what the deal is exactly when the current case is used.
Ah yeah. Silly me, I totally forgot about the added port. Well, there is only one FW400 port on the Rev. A MBPs so I guess the case needs a new hole for wherever the FW800 is. Well, the percentage of me keeping my current MBP has just gotten higher. I need to stop wanting the newest things.
interlaced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 07:30 AM   #6
suwandy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrengreer
I received my new Macbook Pro See Thru case from Speck on Monday. I promised I'd post some of my thoughts on the product.

Installation:
Installation was a snap...pun intended. There are two plastic sections, the top having 4 tabs that snap over the edge of the screen, the bottom having 2 tabs, and some hooks that grab on to the back.

The installation also brings my first concern. These tabs, as they are sliding over the end of the MBP could potentially scractch the edge, as it is a _very_ snug fit. I've not seen any scratches on mine, but I would not get this if you plan on taking it on and off. Put it on, and leave it on.

Protection:
I am very happy with how the case protects the macbook pro. I don't think it will provide much, if any, impact protection, but I feel much safer lugging it around in my bag, without worrying about picking some new nicks. The case covers just about all of the MBP, with the only openings on each button or port, and section of the back where the vents are.

Aesthetics:
I really like the way the MBP looks in this case. It gives it a bit of a shine, and doesn't seem to make it look much bulkier that normal. I went with the clear case, but am interested as to what the red version would like like on the MBP.

Heat:
This was my biggest concern. I used the MBP for about 1-2 hours last night, and didn't notice an increase in the heat on the MBP, and iStat didn't show any significant increases in CPU temperature. The case seems to dissipate the heat through the vent holes, as well as through the plastic itself, so it feels about the same as not having the case on at all.

Overall:
For the price, I think it is a great buy. Outside of the tab scratching concern, I think this product is solid, and definately provides a benefit to those of us who are very wary of getting scratches on our MBPs.

Here are some pictures of my MBP with the case installed:

http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5085.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5086.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5087.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5088.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5089.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5090.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5091.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5092.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5093.jpg
http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5094.jpg
Can someone please post a link to this Speck thingie? How much is it? Doesn't it makes it heavier to the already, have to admit, pretty heavy, MBP?

Thanks,
__________________
Macbook Pro 15" Early 2011 / 2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR 3 / 256 Gb SSD / Anti Glare.
iPhone 3GS!
suwandy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 08:13 AM   #7
Sesshi
Banned
 
Sesshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: One Nation Under Gordon
That looks REALLY nice. Shame they don't do one for the 17.

Is it melt-resistant? Will you end up in a puddle of gooey plastic after a HL2 session?
Sesshi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:56 AM   #8
darrengreer
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesshi
That looks REALLY nice. Shame they don't do one for the 17.

Is it melt-resistant? Will you end up in a puddle of gooey plastic after a HL2 session?
It does get warm, but actually seems to dissipate the heat across the plastic fairly evenly, making it seem less "hot" to my lap than it does without it.

I don't game, so I can't speak to any melting
__________________
Macbook Pro - 15"
2.16 Ghz
2 x 1G DIMM
200GB 7200 RPM
darrengreer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:58 AM   #9
darrengreer
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by suwandy
Can someone please post a link to this Speck thingie? How much is it? Doesn't it makes it heavier to the already, have to admit, pretty heavy, MBP?
It is fairly lightweight, doesn't add much. I'm not sure the exacts, but a few ounces haven't killed me.

http://speckproducts.com/15mac-seethru.html
__________________
Macbook Pro - 15"
2.16 Ghz
2 x 1G DIMM
200GB 7200 RPM
darrengreer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:45 AM   #10
QCassidy352
macrumors G3
 
QCassidy352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
great looking case. I put an invisible shield on my macbook and am very happy with it, but in the future I might go this route (because the IS is a ***** to get on correctly)
__________________
"If Jesus Himself came back to earth and turned water to wine, half of MacRumors would say 'meh, this is red. I wanted white.'"
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:53 PM   #11
darrengreer
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352
great looking case. I put an invisible shield on my macbook and am very happy with it, but in the future I might go this route (because the IS is a ***** to get on correctly)
Yeah, I really like it. Although, I'm thinking of buying the red one next, just to add some color once in a while
__________________
Macbook Pro - 15"
2.16 Ghz
2 x 1G DIMM
200GB 7200 RPM
darrengreer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:22 PM   #12
somevelvet
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
If not impact, what exactly does this protect your computer from?
somevelvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:49 PM   #13
suneohair
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Looks good. I may have to get one if I get a MBP.

500 posts!
suneohair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 03:02 PM   #14
Lucky8
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by somevelvet
If not impact, what exactly does this protect your computer from?
I think its for more for scratch protection
Lucky8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 03:54 PM   #15
darrengreer
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by somevelvet
If not impact, what exactly does this protect your computer from?
As Lucky8 said, the only thing this will really protect you from is scratches, and maybe a few dings here and there. It is so tightly covered that it gives not major impact cushion.
__________________
Macbook Pro - 15"
2.16 Ghz
2 x 1G DIMM
200GB 7200 RPM
darrengreer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:03 PM   #16
mowenbrown
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
The canvas one might be cool. I am about to get my first MBP, how scratch prone are they?
mowenbrown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 09:07 AM   #17
ImNoSuperMan
macrumors 65816
 
ImNoSuperMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I wonder if something like this is available for the Macbook too? I`d love get something like this for my MB.
ImNoSuperMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 09:37 AM   #18
Temujin
macrumors 6502a
 
Temujin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Copenhagen
Will a Kensington lock still fit?
Temujin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 09:42 AM   #19
Zadillo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Arlington, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikas soni View Post
I wonder if something like this is available for the Macbook too? I`d love get something like this for my MB.
They say "coming soon" for the MacBook, so it's only a matter of time.
Zadillo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:29 AM   #20
darrengreer
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowenbrown View Post
The canvas one might be cool. I am about to get my first MBP, how scratch prone are they?
IMHO they are _very_ scratch prone. And from my reading, once they are scratched, you can't really fix it.
__________________
Macbook Pro - 15"
2.16 Ghz
2 x 1G DIMM
200GB 7200 RPM
darrengreer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:30 AM   #21
darrengreer
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
Will a Kensington lock still fit?
I'll take a look at mine tonight to see if they included room for the lock.

My concern would be whether or not the added few milimeters of thickness would cause the locks to be useless, regardless if they actually provided a hole for it.
__________________
Macbook Pro - 15"
2.16 Ghz
2 x 1G DIMM
200GB 7200 RPM
darrengreer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:36 AM   #22
Zadillo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Arlington, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gates View Post
It should fit, but remember they changed the ports a tad since it now has FW800 in place of one FW400 port. I'm not sure if that port is useable or what the deal is exactly when the current case is used.
Is it just me, or is the FW800 port opening larger than FW400?

http://photography.greerfam.com/seethru/IMG_5087.jpg

It seems like in that case, the current case would be fine, it would just have a bit of a larger opening around the FW800 port.

EDIT: Never mind, I just looked at a photo of an old MBP, and realize there isn't an extra port there.
Zadillo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:48 AM   #23
Temujin
macrumors 6502a
 
Temujin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrengreer View Post
I'll take a look at mine tonight to see if they included room for the lock.

My concern would be whether or not the added few milimeters of thickness would cause the locks to be useless, regardless if they actually provided a hole for it.
Check out IMG_5087.jpg

The added millimeters is my concern too. On my MBP the Kensington lock doesn't leave much room for a case.
Temujin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 11:22 AM   #24
stillwater
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rowley, MA
Thanks for the close-up pics and review. I'm gonna get one.
stillwater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 09:28 PM   #25
darrengreer
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
Check out IMG_5087.jpg

The added millimeters is my concern too. On my MBP the Kensington lock doesn't leave much room for a case.
There is definately not much room around the lock opening. If there is no gap between the lock body and the the laptop when attached, I would be concerned.
__________________
Macbook Pro - 15"
2.16 Ghz
2 x 1G DIMM
200GB 7200 RPM
darrengreer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speck case MacBook Pro question! sammyvine MacBook Pro 14 Jun 18, 2013 09:42 AM
Skin with Speck SeeThru Case? Namtaro MacBook Pro 0 Jan 9, 2013 05:19 AM
Speck SeeThru Case question zMacintoshz MacBook Air 4 Jul 2, 2012 03:29 PM
Moshi iGlaze Case V.S. Speck SeeThru. Also Moshi ClearGuard. MilleDav01 Buying Tips and Advice 1 Jun 27, 2012 10:53 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC