Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 26, 2006, 09:43 AM   #1
dontlosetouch
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
How to install WINrar properly?

Hey, I need some help installing WINrar for OS X. I've gone to a site and downloaded the version for it. Now I have a folder titled rar with all of these in. I'm stuck to the ground. If anyone could tell me how to install it all correctly, it would be a massive help! Basically there's a rar file for football players pictures for Football Manager in there, and I really want them in there!

This is what's in there. If anyone could help with a step by step guide, It'd be great!

default.sfx
file_id.diz
license.txt
order.htm
rar
rar.txt
rarfiles.lst
readme.txt
technote.txt
unrar
whatsnew.txt


Alex
dontlosetouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 09:45 AM   #2
robbieduncan
Moderator
 
robbieduncan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: London
WINRar? Is that no for Windows? Anyway I use this and it works.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 09:54 AM   #3
Felldownthewell
macrumors 65816
 
Felldownthewell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Portland
the file name .sfx means, I believe, a stuffit expander file, or at least a self-extracting archnive. Try downloading stuffit expander and trying to expand it with that. If it gets expanded and it has a .exe file in it, you have a windows only file on your hands, and you should get unrarx.
__________________
"Under a government which imprisons unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison"
-Henry David Thoreau
Felldownthewell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:00 AM   #4
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603
 
MacBoobsPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
Stuffit opens RAR files no problem.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 03:42 PM   #5
elbirth
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North Carolina, US
Send a message via AIM to elbirth
WinRar is also available for OS X, and he has the OS X version. However, WinRar on the Mac is available for the command line only- there's no GUI interface. What he has are the actual program files that you have to call in the command line to use them.

For example, in order to rar up a file, use the "rar" file... to unrar, use the "unrar" one.

So you'd be looking at this syntax

RAR <command> [ -<switches> ] <archive> [ <@listfiles...> ] [ <files...> ] [ <path_to_extract\> ]



Since I'm sure you don't want to go through that, just install UnrarX, I use it and like it
elbirth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 04:32 PM   #6
hezahonker
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbirth View Post
WinRar is also available for OS X, and he has the OS X version. However, WinRar on the Mac is available for the command line only- there's no GUI interface. What he has are the actual program files that you have to call in the command line to use them.

For example, in order to rar up a file, use the "rar" file... to unrar, use the "unrar" one.

So you'd be looking at this syntax

RAR <command> [ -<switches> ] <archive> [ <@listfiles...> ] [ <files...> ] [ <path_to_extract\> ]



Since I'm sure you don't want to go through that, just install UnrarX, I use it and like it
Hi,

Thanks a ton for the confirmation on lack of GUI. I was confused by this as well after installing WinRar. Can you give me an example of zipping a file on the desktop. In other words, what would that look like practically in real life?

I totally get what to do but I am a bit puzzled how it would really look if typed out. Are we to include brakets, spaces etc... My husband is a professional photographer and I want to make this easy on him. He has a given folder on his desktop that he needs to compress and send to a client as a zip. If can get the string for it he can just copy it each time and drag his folder to the terminal for the file path. Thanks in advance.
hezahonker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 04:42 PM   #7
karenflower
macrumors 6502a
 
karenflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezahonker View Post
Hi,

Thanks a ton for the confirmation on lack of GUI. I was confused by this as well after installing WinRar. Can you give me an example of zipping a file on the desktop. In other words, what would that look like practically in real life?

I totally get what to do but I am a bit puzzled how it would really look if typed out. Are we to include brakets, spaces etc... My husband is a professional photographer and I want to make this easy on him. He has a given folder on his desktop that he needs to compress and send to a client as a zip. If can get the string for it he can just copy it each time and drag his folder to the terminal for the file path. Thanks in advance.
In Mac OS X, to create a zip file all you need to do is right click on a folder and click 'Compress "(folder name)"'. The file will appear right away.
karenflower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 04:52 PM   #8
hezahonker
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenflower View Post
In Mac OS X, to create a zip file all you need to do is right click on a folder and click 'Compress "(folder name)"'. The file will appear right away.
I do know that ...he runs 10.4 so the language is a bit different in that it say archive instead of my Leopard OS that says compress. What we are baffled by though is that when using the native mac os compression he has a 260MB file full of JPG's that doesn't get any smaller when compressed. We figured using a third party would be better.
hezahonker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 05:35 PM   #9
karenflower
macrumors 6502a
 
karenflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hezahonker View Post
I do know that ...he runs 10.4 so the language is a bit different in that it say archive instead of my Leopard OS that says compress. What we are baffled by though is that when using the native mac os compression he has a 260MB file full of JPG's that doesn't get any smaller when compressed. We figured using a third party would be better.
Ah, I see. I don't know how good compression ratios can be with .zip, but 7zX claims to be 2-10% better than most of other zip compatible programs.

There's a link to it here if you'd like to take a look: http://sixtyfive.xmghosting.com/products/7zx/
karenflower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 08:29 AM   #10
hezahonker
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenflower View Post
Ah, I see. I don't know how good compression ratios can be with .zip, but 7zX claims to be 2-10% better than most of other zip compatible programs.

There's a link to it here if you'd like to take a look: http://sixtyfive.xmghosting.com/products/7zx/
Hi karenflower,

Thanks for the link.

BTW, I am still curious, if anyone here has the time, to let me know what the simply string would be for the WinRar since I already own it. I would like to conduct some benchmarks on the various programs to see which one can give me the best compression. Thanks to all.
hezahonker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:28 AM   #11
souliloquy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Hi OP,

Just was cruising the internet on how to install winrar from the tar file downloaded from the site. I found out by luck.

So in order to install it properly, you have to transfer the "rar" file to the /bin folder.

This will let you just type "rar <commands, etc>" from any directory.

Hope this helps someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlosetouch View Post
Hey, I need some help installing WINrar for OS X. I've gone to a site and downloaded the version for it. Now I have a folder titled rar with all of these in. I'm stuck to the ground. If anyone could tell me how to install it all correctly, it would be a massive help! Basically there's a rar file for football players pictures for Football Manager in there, and I really want them in there!

This is what's in there. If anyone could help with a step by step guide, It'd be great!

default.sfx
file_id.diz
license.txt
order.htm
rar
rar.txt
rarfiles.lst
readme.txt
technote.txt
unrar
whatsnew.txt


Alex
souliloquy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 05:15 PM   #12
willpower101
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
I think the question is where do you put the files to integrate them into the shell. Surely you don't expect me to keep them in the download folder?

Also command line rar is needed for CREATING rar files. Doesn't anyone do this anymore?


Code:
Use the following command to install unrar:

~$: sudo install -c -o $USER unrar /bin
$USER is a default environment variable in the bash shell which contains your username.

Sudo requires you to enter your user password. Itís the same password you use when you log in to Mac OS X. To install rar you can use the same command:

~$: sudo install -c -o $USER rar /bin
Do a test-run to see if the installation went properly. In your terminal now enter from any location you want:

~$: unrar


Thanks to this site http://www.robertvenema.nl/journal/a...r-on-mac-os-x/
__________________
Jonathan Taufer jonathantaufer.com revizzle.com willpower101.com Find me on twitter/myspace/facebook/google
willpower101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to convince my parents to let me buy a 17" MacBook Pro Ulf1103 Buying Tips and Advice 58 Nov 27, 2013 11:45 AM
Tutorial: How to get PCSX2 to run on Mac (without BootCamp) Mirrors Mac Applications and Mac App Store 22 Jun 14, 2013 08:19 PM
IPHONE 4 how to JAILBREAK AND UNLOCK bs2511feist Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 6 Apr 14, 2012 05:52 PM
Does anybody know how to get TweetTask? xmelissaxmayhem Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 3 Jul 3, 2011 01:21 AM
[HOW TO] DIY iPhone 4 Swivel Car Mount QuarterSwede iPhone Accessories 13 Mar 8, 2011 02:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:05 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC