Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:19 AM   #1
JPC
macrumors newbie

Student Purchases...

Hey, i was wondering, i brought the new mac book, but now i want the new mac book pro, will apple let me get the macbook pro at student prices? or do they know that i brought a macbook earlier, i want both now:P
JPC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:20 AM   #2
bearbo
macrumors 68000

if you are rich enough to get both for yourself ( ) perhaps you dont need the student discount...
bearbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:23 AM   #3
mdntcallr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbo
if you are rich enough to get both for yourself ( ) perhaps you dont need the student discount...
dont be a jerk to him, he may sell his MB for not much less than what he paid for it.

If you have a problem getting the new MBP, you should just get a friend to buy it at student price for you.

if getting the new model isnt vip to you, you can buy the original MBP for refurbished price.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:23 AM   #4
JPC
macrumors newbie

You get rich by saving money mate:P i not rich, just want the new macbook pro.

mdnycallr - you are right, i sell my macbook to mate, just wanted it in my name, is still cheaper to buy student price than refurbished hey when u get student disounts, plus you getting the new range i found.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:27 AM   #5
nevir
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC
You get rich by saving money mate:P i not rich, just want the new macbook pro.
I'm not sure how the student apple store keeps track of the laptop per year limit. However, another way to get around it (and save another $2-300US on top of the student discount) is to sign up for the ADC Student Membership. You may or may not be able to sign up if you're not taking any technical (computer/programming related) courses, but from what I hear they're pretty lenient.
nevir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:30 AM   #6
JPC
macrumors newbie

I study multimedia and IT, i live in Australia so can i use that ADc thing nevir?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:37 AM   #7
nevir
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC
I study multimedia and IT, i live in Australia so can i use that ACD thing?
Sounds like it - you have to order through a special store (details on that page and subsequent ones)

As far as signing up for the ADC membership - you pay the $100 for the student membership, and then they'll ask for some document that shows what courses you're taking this semester (you fax it to them) - I just sent them an unofficial transcript

Once they get that, they'll ok (or deny) you. I'm assuming that if you're denied, you'll recieve a refund. You might want to call up and clarify that with them.

Takes a few days to get registered. Aside from that the only downside, at least here in the states, is that you cannot use this discount at any physical store (so you're stuck having it shipped to you from the web store), so the items may take a bit longer to get to you.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:41 AM   #8
JPC
macrumors newbie

So you are a member yeah, if i sign up i get the student discount but then i pay 100 dollars to join. Im looking into it now. thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:45 AM   #9
nevir
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC
So you are a member yeah, if i sign up i get the student discount but then i pay 100 dollars to join. Im looking into it now. thanks.
It's actually twice the student discount, at least here in the States.

Here's the price comparisons for the three pre-configured models, on the US sites:

from the normal US store:
$1,999 $2,499 $2,799

from the US Education Store:
$1,799 $2,299 $2,599

from the US ADC Store:
$1,599 $1,999 $2,239

Edit: Here's the AU ADC Store and more info on the program in Australia
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:50 AM   #10
JPC
macrumors newbie

Do many people use it? Cause thats crazy prices. i cant find any info on site about ADC
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:59 AM   #11
nevir
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC
Do many people use it? Cause thats crazy prices. i cant find any info on site about ADC
It's a program targeted primarily at getting new machines to Apple software developers, so that they can test on the full spectrum of Apple hardware without totally emptying their checkbooks :P And the student program is there to do its best to hook us into developing Apple stuff.

I would say that probably every ADC member (I think there's about half a million worldwide, or is it 1 million, I forget) uses this discount.

The main ADC site is http://developer.apple.com

Keep poking around, I can only give you insight into how things work here on the US side of things, unfortunately. It doesn't look like it's *much* different, though.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:03 PM   #12
bearbo
macrumors 68000

i think i just found a loophole...

if u click on the ADC link provided by nevir, and proceed with your order with your own apple account, you can successively place an order for the ADC price... i tried that and cancelled the order immediately, but i dont know if apple'll check if you just leave the order there...
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:06 PM   #13
JPC
macrumors newbie

So now im a member nevir, i used previous account, no joinging fee but yet... I am a student like i said and do graphic design work, so guess i am accepted

Although, now i have to pay student fee of 99 dollars maybe, cause i dont get the whole store now
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:10 PM   #14
PillarFan1
macrumors member

i used the adc student membership for my macbook pro a few weeks ago. i'm not taking any computer classes but i am in engineering. But just send em your schedule and student id (faxed) and they'll accept it after a couple of days.
PillarFan1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:11 PM   #15
nevir
macrumors regular

Quote:
i think i just found a loophole...

if u click on the ADC link provided by nevir, and proceed with your order with your own apple account, you can successively place an order for the ADC price... i tried that and cancelled the order immediately, but i dont know if apple'll check if you just leave the order there...
They have a quota on your ADC account for the number of ADC orders you can place (1 per year for normal accounts, 1 per lifetime for students) - but that's interesting, I wouldn't have thought that you could even get that far without an ADC account
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:13 PM   #16
nevir
macrumors regular

Oh, as an added perk, you'll most likely be getting free OS upgrades (Leopard) for the next year (as well as a bunch of DVD's with developer junk... and a... tacky t-shirt)

At the very least you'll get an extra copy of OS 10.4.X with your initial developer package - and from what people have been saying, you'll probably be getting 10.5 when that releases. This isn't an official perk though, so don't depend on it.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:14 PM   #17
JPC
macrumors newbie

Sweet, gets better and better, this my third apple lappie maybe, and i just learnt this. So i can just get the one even thoough i have brought a macbook this year already, they be fine with that.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:20 PM   #18
nevir
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC
Sweet, gets better and better, this my third apple lappie maybe, and i just learnt this. So i can just get the one even thoough i have brought a macbook this year already, they be fine with that.
Not to mention it sounds like you'll be using this discount on the most expensive laptop you'll be getting for a while :P
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:23 PM   #19
JPC
macrumors newbie

You a champ nevir, yeah thinking of 15 inch or 17 inch, im in my last semester so i wanna buy now hhey, the macbook is alright but i want a macbook pro. Weird the macbook stays the same price....
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:23 PM   #20
bearbo
macrumors 68000

provided Student ADC can get one discount life time... is that similar to education discount where you get a discount per yr? aka, apple doesn't really check it? if so.. that'd be cool...

Quote:
You a champ nevir, yeah thinking of 15 inch or 17 inch, im in my last semester so i wanna buy now hhey, the macbook is alright but i want a macbook pro.
just wonderiing... why do you want 15incher AND 17incher?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:25 PM   #21
Surf and Turf
macrumors regular

Quote:
provided Student ADC can get one discount life time... is that similar to education discount where you get a discount per yr? aka, apple doesn't really check it? if so.. that'd be cool...

just wonderiing... why do you want 15incher AND 17incher?
they do check
Surf and Turf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:28 PM   #22
JPC
macrumors newbie

Because i want the 15 incha for uni and stuff. then maybe by my dad the 17 incha.

Surf dude, can u answer my Ql If i have used student purchase this year, can i use my one student purchase on ADC for a macbook?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:29 PM   #23
bearbo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf and Turf
they do check
when does the check take place? is this a check-on-everybody or selective check?

also, what would happen if they found out you aren't adc member?
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:34 PM   #24
nevir
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC
Because i want the 15 incha for uni and stuff. then maybe by my dad the 17 incha.
Just be aware that you have to place everything on the same order
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:57 PM   #25
Vegeta-san
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillarFan1
i used the adc student membership for my macbook pro a few weeks ago. i'm not taking any computer classes but i am in engineering. But just send em your schedule and student id (faxed) and they'll accept it after a couple of days.
AWESOME! I was wondering if they only take computer programming majors....Cause I'm a mechanical engineering major...Please tell me that's what you are so I can sign up for this thing...!
Vegeta-san is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro