Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Hey, i was wondering, i brought the new mac book, but now i want the new mac book pro, will apple let me get the macbook pro at student prices? or do they know that i brought a macbook earlier, i want both now:p

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
if you are rich enough to get both for yourself :)rolleyes: ) perhaps you dont need the student discount...

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
bearbo said:
if you are rich enough to get both for yourself :)rolleyes: ) perhaps you dont need the student discount...

dont be a jerk to him, he may sell his MB for not much less than what he paid for it.

If you have a problem getting the new MBP, you should just get a friend to buy it at student price for you.

if getting the new model isnt vip to you, you can buy the original MBP for refurbished price.

JPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
You get rich by saving money mate:p i not rich, just want the new macbook pro.

mdnycallr - you are right, i sell my macbook to mate, just wanted it in my name, is still cheaper to buy student price than refurbished hey when u get student disounts, plus you getting the new range i found.

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
JPC said:
You get rich by saving money mate:p i not rich, just want the new macbook pro.

I'm not sure how the student apple store keeps track of the laptop per year limit. However, another way to get around it (and save another $2-300US on top of the student discount) is to sign up for the ADC Student Membership. You may or may not be able to sign up if you're not taking any technical (computer/programming related) courses, but from what I hear they're pretty lenient.

JPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
I study multimedia and IT, i live in Australia so can i use that ADc thing nevir?

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
JPC said:
I study multimedia and IT, i live in Australia so can i use that ACD thing?

Sounds like it - you have to order through a special store (details on that page and subsequent ones)

As far as signing up for the ADC membership - you pay the $100 for the student membership, and then they'll ask for some document that shows what courses you're taking this semester (you fax it to them) - I just sent them an unofficial transcript

Once they get that, they'll ok (or deny) you. I'm assuming that if you're denied, you'll recieve a refund. You might want to call up and clarify that with them.

Takes a few days to get registered. Aside from that the only downside, at least here in the states, is that you cannot use this discount at any physical store (so you're stuck having it shipped to you from the web store), so the items may take a bit longer to get to you.

JPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
So you are a member yeah, if i sign up i get the student discount but then i pay 100 dollars to join. Im looking into it now. thanks.

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
JPC said:
So you are a member yeah, if i sign up i get the student discount but then i pay 100 dollars to join. Im looking into it now. thanks.

It's actually twice the student discount, at least here in the States.

Here's the price comparisons for the three pre-configured models, on the US sites:

from the normal US store:
$1,999 $2,499 $2,799

from the US Education Store:
$1,799 $2,299 $2,599

from the US ADC Store:
$1,599 $1,999 $2,239

Edit: Here's the AU ADC Store and more info on the program in Australia

JPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Do many people use it? Cause thats crazy prices. i cant find any info on site about ADC

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
JPC said:
Do many people use it? Cause thats crazy prices. i cant find any info on site about ADC

It's a program targeted primarily at getting new machines to Apple software developers, so that they can test on the full spectrum of Apple hardware without totally emptying their checkbooks :p And the student program is there to do its best to hook us into developing Apple stuff.

I would say that probably every ADC member (I think there's about half a million worldwide, or is it 1 million, I forget) uses this discount.

The main ADC site is http://developer.apple.com

Keep poking around, I can only give you insight into how things work here on the US side of things, unfortunately. It doesn't look like it's *much* different, though.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
i think i just found a loophole...

if u click on the ADC link provided by nevir, and proceed with your order with your own apple account, you can successively place an order for the ADC price... i tried that and cancelled the order immediately, but i dont know if apple'll check if you just leave the order there...

JPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
So now im a member nevir, i used previous account, no joinging fee but yet... I am a student like i said and do graphic design work, so guess i am accepted

Although, now i have to pay student fee of 99 dollars maybe, cause i dont get the whole store now

PillarFan1

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
i used the adc student membership for my macbook pro a few weeks ago. i'm not taking any computer classes but i am in engineering. But just send em your schedule and student id (faxed) and they'll accept it after a couple of days.

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
bearbo said:
i think i just found a loophole...

if u click on the ADC link provided by nevir, and proceed with your order with your own apple account, you can successively place an order for the ADC price... i tried that and cancelled the order immediately, but i dont know if apple'll check if you just leave the order there...

They have a quota on your ADC account for the number of ADC orders you can place (1 per year for normal accounts, 1 per lifetime for students) - but that's interesting, I wouldn't have thought that you could even get that far without an ADC account

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Oh, as an added perk, you'll most likely be getting free OS upgrades (Leopard) for the next year ;) (as well as a bunch of DVD's with developer junk... and a... tacky t-shirt)

At the very least you'll get an extra copy of OS 10.4.X with your initial developer package - and from what people have been saying, you'll probably be getting 10.5 when that releases. This isn't an official perk though, so don't depend on it.

JPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Sweet, gets better and better, this my third apple lappie maybe, and i just learnt this:p. So i can just get the one even thoough i have brought a macbook this year already, they be fine with that.

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
JPC said:
Sweet, gets better and better, this my third apple lappie maybe, and i just learnt this:p. So i can just get the one even thoough i have brought a macbook this year already, they be fine with that.

Not to mention it sounds like you'll be using this discount on the most expensive laptop you'll be getting for a while :p

JPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
You a champ nevir, yeah thinking of 15 inch or 17 inch, im in my last semester so i wanna buy now hhey, the macbook is alright but i want a macbook pro. Weird the macbook stays the same price....

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
provided Student ADC can get one discount life time... is that similar to education discount where you get a discount per yr? aka, apple doesn't really check it? if so.. that'd be cool...

You a champ nevir, yeah thinking of 15 inch or 17 inch, im in my last semester so i wanna buy now hhey, the macbook is alright but i want a macbook pro.

just wonderiing... why do you want 15incher AND 17incher?

Surf and Turf

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2006
In my mind
bearbo said:
provided Student ADC can get one discount life time... is that similar to education discount where you get a discount per yr? aka, apple doesn't really check it? if so.. that'd be cool...

just wonderiing... why do you want 15incher AND 17incher?
they do check

JPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Because i want the 15 incha for uni and stuff. then maybe by my dad the 17 incha.

Surf dude, can u answer my Ql If i have used student purchase this year, can i use my one student purchase on ADC for a macbook?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Surf and Turf said:
they do check
when does the check take place? is this a check-on-everybody or selective check?

also, what would happen if they found out you aren't adc member?

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
JPC said:
Because i want the 15 incha for uni and stuff. then maybe by my dad the 17 incha.

Just be aware that you have to place everything on the same order

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2006
PillarFan1 said:
i used the adc student membership for my macbook pro a few weeks ago. i'm not taking any computer classes but i am in engineering. But just send em your schedule and student id (faxed) and they'll accept it after a couple of days.

AWESOME! I was wondering if they only take computer programming majors....Cause I'm a mechanical engineering major...Please tell me that's what you are so I can sign up for this thing...!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.