Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Apple2Mac
macrumors regular

Excel turn auto correct off?

Excel is pissing me off

when I type into a cell LPrecord it auto formats it to read Lprecord, how do I stop it from doing that?

Also is there a way to turn off auto hyperlink and auto mailto: tagging that annoys the heck out of me too!
QuickTime short films
Apple2Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:33 AM   #2
yellow

Did you look in the preferences?

I suspect turning off AutoCorrect in the Edit menu would take care of #1.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:37 AM   #3
vi2867
macrumors 6502

In the Tools and Options menu check the Spelling tab and select ignore words with capital letters. This should fix that...

Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:42 AM   #4
vi2867
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow
Did you look in the preferences?

I suspect turning off AutoCorrect in the Edit menu would take care of #1.
Actually Autocorrect is in the Tools Menu...

You can actually add your word, so it will correct it the way you want it to be corrected..

Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:44 AM   #5
yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi2867
Actually Autocorrect is in the Tools Menu...
That's one way to do it. My way is another.

Either way.. I don't think the OP looked very hard before posting.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:08 PM   #6
Apple2Mac
macrumors regular

That fixed it, I was looking in Prefrences, I forgot there was seperate Tools Menu....
QuickTime short films
Apple2Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:06 PM   #7
bruinslacker
macrumors newbie

Excel is pissing me off too

My problem is similar but more complicated. Turning off autocorrect fixes it but there should be a better way.

My issue: I typed "Chase HAS" in a cell when I meant to type "Chase HSA". Now whenever I type Chase HSA it replaces it with Chase HAS. I checked the autocorrect list but it isn't on the list so I can't delete it. I figured this automatic replacement was automatically added to a list just for this document so after I had no other recourse I trashed the document and started over. IT STILL DOES IT!

I tried using find and replace. It replaces what I've already done but doesn't correct the behavior going forward. I tried adding the opposite Autocorrect to the list i.e. telling it to exchange "Chase HSA" for "Chase HAS", but it doesn't do it. There are a few practical solutions: turning off autocorrect, using find and replace before I save or print so that it looks right, but I shouldn't have to do that. There should be a way to FIX it, not work around it. Does anyone have any ideas of how this is working or how to fix it?

thanks in advance

Last edited by bruinslacker; Nov 26, 2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling
bruinslacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:37 PM   #8
bruinslacker
macrumors newbie

Nevermind. I feel dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinslacker View Post
My problem is similar but more complicated. Turning off autocorrect fixes it but there should be a better way.

My issue: I typed "Chase HAS" in a cell when I meant to type "Chase HSA". Now whenever I type Chase HSA it replaces it with Chase HAS. I checked the autocorrect list but it isn't on the list so I can't delete it. I figured this automatic replacement was automatically added to a list just for this document so after I had no other recourse I trashed the document and started over. IT STILL DOES IT!

I tried using find and replace. It replaces what I've already done but doesn't correct the behavior going forward. I tried adding the opposite Autocorrect to the list i.e. telling it to exchange "Chase HSA" for "Chase HAS", but it doesn't do it. There are a few practical solutions: turning off autocorrect, using find and replace before I save or print so that it looks right, but I shouldn't have to do that. There should be a way to FIX it, not work around it. Does anyone have any ideas of how this is working or how to fix it?

thanks in advance
I figured it out. It wasn't replacing it because I typed it wrong. It thought I was trying to type the word has. I disabled that individual autocorrect and now everything is fine.
bruinslacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store