Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkF786

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
I bought my MacBook a couple of weeks ago from Amazon. Sound was only coming from the right speaker, so I assumed Apple was being cheap and made it mono. I rarely listen to my laptop speakers so I thought no big deal. Today I realized there are two speakers but the left one doesn't work at all.

The question is if I can return it to Amazon or will they make me go through the Applecare hassle. I really dislike having to get a new device serviced; if it was broken when I bought it or it broke within the first month, I prefer to return it.

Does anyone know Amazon's policy on this? Also, has anyone seen this problem before? Thanks!

Mark

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Just check in the system preferences, under "Sound" and then "Output", that the balance is set to the centre. It could be that it is off placed. Sometimes happens with my Powerbook anyway.

If not, contact Amazon.

MarkF786

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
I checked the appropriate settings in Preferences and Utilities. The odd thing is when I play a sound in the left speaker only, I hear a muffled sound coming from inside the laptop near the right speaker. I highly doubt the left speaker could have been dislodged to the opposite side of the laptop, but that's almost what it sounds like.

Mark

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
How strange. :confused:

Is your Macbook running the latest OS and the recent Firmware updates?

You could take it to an Apple Store and have them look at it if there's one near by. If not, contact Amazon and see what they say. I have no idea what their policy is with things like this.

MarkF786

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Yup, I'm running all the latest. I called Apple Care and they walked me through the expected steps, then also had me throw out some preference files, but all to no avail. He said it seems like a hardware problem and wanted me to send it in for repair.

I'm backing up my hard drive and reloading the OS. If that doesn't fix it, it's going back to Amazon. According to their policy, "You may return any computer that is "dead on arrival," that arrives in damaged condition, or that is still in unopened boxes for a full refund within 30 days of purchase."

Mark

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.