Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robcts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
I know it supports SATA II (3Gbps) but the 10K RPM drives are plain SATA. Would there be any performance decrease in choosing a SATA drive over SATA II?

Applejuice

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
There might be a slight performance hit, but SATA II is backwards compatible from what I read and it should be just fine.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
SATA I is maxed out at 300mbs.
SATA II is maxed out at 3000mbs.

while a single drive couldn't max out the SATA bus, but with 3 or 4 drives you'll really notice a performance hit. because their isn't enough bandwidth to carry all the data like in SATA II. With 10 times the bandwidth available on the bus you'll have enough bandwidth to go around.

robcts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Rokem said:
SATA I is maxed out at 300mbs.
SATA II is maxed out at 3000mbs.

while a single drive couldn't max out the SATA bus, but with 3 or 4 drives you'll really notice a performance hit. because their isn't enough bandwidth to carry all the data like in SATA II. With 10 times the bandwidth available on the bus you'll have enough bandwidth to go around.
Well I planned to get two SATA 10K drives for OSX/Apps in a RAID 0, and two SATA II 7200rpm drives for storage/music/tv shows/etc in a RAID 1.

Any issues you see with that?

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
Tinlad said:
Just to correct you:

SATA I is 1.5Gb/s (~1500Mb/s, not 300)
SATA II is 3.0Gb/s (~3000Mb/s as you said)

whoops. Got a little confused. I just bought a 300gb sata with a 300mbs data transfer speed. so with this new bit of info you'd be fine with 4 10k rpm drives. so yes go ahead and buy them. no problem.

all those numbers blend together after a while

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!

Close, but not really. There's not a huge advantage to SATA II at this point, simply because the drives can't even saturate an SATA I bus.

Also, each drive has its own bus, unlike PATA where you could daisy chain - so there's no hit from attaching lots of drives.

Applejuice

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2006
Well I planned to get two SATA 10K drives for OSX/Apps in a RAID 0, and two SATA II 7200rpm drives for storage/music/tv shows/etc in a RAID 1.

Any issues you see with that?

Are there really any noticeable differences in RAID 0? You might be better off just doubling capacity or going RAID 1 to mirror everything on your OSX drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.