Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 28, 2006, 03:00 PM   #1
teitoku
macrumors member

Need a BBS-friendly (ANSI) telnet client for OSX

I'm trying to play some old BBS door games and I can NOT find a telnet client that shows the ANSI characters correctly and not as euro symbols.
teitoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 04:28 PM   #2
mduser63
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mduser63
I assume you've already tried the built-in client (open Terminal, then type "telnet").
mduser63 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 04:39 PM   #3
scr
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to scr Send a message via MSN to scr
Quote:
Originally Posted by teitoku View Post
I'm trying to play some old BBS door games and I can NOT find a telnet client that shows the ANSI characters correctly and not as euro symbols.
tintin++ is a linux/unix flavoured MUD (telnet) client. They even have a mac os x binary. Great fun.

http://tintin.sourceforge.net/
scr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 04:56 PM   #4
teitoku
macrumors member

While I appreciate the suggestion of tintin....apparently the download link on the site is broken

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/t...ar.gz?download
Old Oct 31, 2006, 02:09 AM   #5
teitoku
macrumors member

Also, Macwise is a resounding failure

http://servbot.servehttp.com/img/macwise.png
Old Oct 31, 2006, 08:09 AM   #6
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Also, Macwise is a resounding failure

http://servbot.servehttp.com/img/macwise.png
All ASCII terminals are not created equal. Bulletin boards typically offer a selection of terminal choices and sends out control codes based on your selection. Alternatively, the bulletin board may require a certain terminal protocol. In this case, the choice is usually documented.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 09:19 PM   #7
teitoku
macrumors member

It's not documented because it's standard ANSI, which OS X can't handle by default, which is why I'm here asking for a client that'll remedy that problem.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:15 PM   #8
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
It's not documented because it's standard ANSI, which OS X can't handle by default, which is why I'm here asking for a client that'll remedy that problem.
I believe that each of the terminals emulated by MacWise is considered standard ANSI, but they don't share the same control codes. If you can't get MacWise to work, you might try opensource iTerm.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 04:07 PM   #9
teitoku
macrumors member

iTerm is the exact same deal; ANSI colors but no ANSI character set. Seems to be a font issue?
Old Nov 4, 2006, 03:09 PM   #10
teitoku
macrumors member

Okay, so it's looking to me like it's just plain impossible without paying a hundred bucks for some professional corporate terminal emulator.

Guess I'll be installing virtualpc and windows 95.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 03:40 PM   #11
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
You need a DEC VT100 terminal emulator, which became the basis for the standard known as ANSI X.364, whereas most telnet clients support VT52 emulation, right?
bousozoku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2006, 05:30 PM   #12
teitoku
macrumors member

I think the problem is that they all CLAIM VT-100 but it just doesn't work without the fonts, which are only included with the expensive commercial apps. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course....but nothing works.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 08:32 PM   #13
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
I think the problem is that they all CLAIM VT-100 but it just doesn't work without the fonts, which are only included with the expensive commercial apps. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course....but nothing works.
In my first post in this thread, I said "All ASCII terminals are not created equal." From where I sit, what you are going through now is what we all went through back in the day when ASCII terminal access to mainframes was the order of the day. The tools installed on your computer now give you much more flexibility than we had then. The Terminal emulates any of several standard ANSI terminals including the Wyse 50, VT101, and VT102. iTerm emulates a similar set of terminals. MacWise is the standard by which other terminal emulators are judged.

Have you installed the MacWise fonts? Do you have Apple's VT100 font installed? In addition to installing the correct fonts, there are other issues that terminal emulation users have to consider. You need to know how your BBS server uses each bit in the serial stream. Some use all eight bits in each byte. Others strip the 8th bit. You also need to know how many characters constitute a line. Some systems use 80-character lines. Others use 132-character lines. Many systems give the user the option to choose between the two, but it is an issue that must be addressed.

If this situation continues to confound you, post the URL of your bulletin board. I don't need your account information. However, I should be able to discover your BBS's terminal settings and give them back to you.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 09:15 PM   #14
teitoku
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
In my first post in this thread, I said "All ASCII terminals are not created equal." From where I sit, what you are going through now is what we all went through back in the day when ASCII terminal access to mainframes was the order of the day. The tools installed on your computer now give you much more flexibility than we had then. The Terminal emulates any of several standard ANSI terminals including the Wyse 50, VT101, and VT102. iTerm emulates a similar set of terminals. MacWise is the standard by which other terminal emulators are judged.
Right, macwise, zterm, iterm, balognaterm, whatever, I've had all the names thrown at me and I've never gotten one to work correctly. Could somebody maybe try one out, and instruct me as to what needs to be done to solve the problem I've been posting on every mac board I can find?

Quote:
Have you installed the MacWise fonts? Do you have Apple's VT100 font installed? In addition to installing the correct fonts, there are other issues that terminal emulation users have to consider. You need to know how your BBS server uses each bit in the serial stream. Some use all eight bits in each byte. Others strip the 8th bit. You also need to know how many characters constitute a line. Some systems use 80-character lines. Others use 132-character lines. Many systems give the user the option to choose between the two, but it is an issue that must be addressed.

If this situation continues to confound you, post the URL of your bulletin board. I don't need your account information. However, I should be able to discover your BBS's terminal settings and give them back to you.
MacWise fonts? Who knows. I'd assume they come with macwise. Do they not?
I have apple's vt100. It's the same old accented latin characters as every other font I've tried. I assume this bbs, like most every other, is 8 bit, no parity, 1 stop bit. This is an 80 character-per-line bbs like almost every other.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE somebody try. sunrisebbs.darktech.org, port 23.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:02 AM   #15
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:

MacWise fonts? Who knows. I'd assume they come with macwise. Do they not?
I have apple's vt100. It's the same old accented latin characters as every other font I've tried. I assume this bbs, like most every other, is 8 bit, no parity, 1 stop bit. This is an 80 character-per-line bbs like almost every other.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE somebody try. sunrisebbs.darktech.org, port 23.
The installer for your MacWise fonts is a part of the MacWise download. It is an app named MacWiseFont Installer and resides in the same folder as MacWise. To the point, I logged onto the bulletinboard and established an account there for myself. So far, Terminal and iTerm seem to perform equally well. The site prefers a terminal emulator which is compatible with the IBM ASCII Extended character set. I observe that the site is quite slow and requires a degree of patience. I am somewhat productive on the site, but have not yet figured-out all of it.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 01:50 PM   #16
teitoku
macrumors member

I appreciate the effort very much. Maybe you could try at bbs.safenight.com:23 as it's not having the problems with slow connections as sunrisebbs is right now.

Yes, I suppose I do have the macwise fonts because they're installed automatically along with macwise itself. I don't see any option to select any particular font from within macwise, though, and these don't seem to work either.

Last edited by teitoku; Nov 5, 2006 at 02:00 PM. Reason: bacon bits and typographical SALAD
Old Nov 5, 2006, 07:37 PM   #17
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
I appreciate the effort very much. Maybe you could try at bbs.safenight.com:23 as it's not having the problems with slow connections as sunrisebbs is right now.

Yes, I suppose I do have the macwise fonts because they're installed automatically along with macwise itself. I don't see any option to select any particular font from within macwise, though, and these don't seem to work either.
I have your site displaying perfectly in MacWise. Select Emulate > International Characters.... In the resulting dialog box, click US ASCII and IBM Set 2.

The Terminal works fine if you choose a terminal which does not recognize the IBM Extended character set while you are starting up your session.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 08:10 PM   #18
CorvusCamenarum
macrumors 65816

I'd recommend heading over to ye old Versiontracker and downloading either Atlantis and/or Savitar. Atlantis is freeware, Savitar is shareware. I recommend Atlantis personally, it's a little more user-friendly, although it has the tendency to slow down a tiny bit if it's been open and used for a long(er) time.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:56 PM   #19
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvusCamenarum View Post
I'd recommend heading over to ye old Versiontracker and downloading either Atlantis and/or Savitar. Atlantis is freeware, Savitar is shareware. I recommend Atlantis personally, it's a little more user-friendly, although it has the tendency to slow down a tiny bit if it's been open and used for a long(er) time.
The OP needs terminal access to a bulletinboard. For this task, Savitar is not as good as the Terminal. Savitar cannot approach MacWise, severely blunting its price advantage over the terminal emulator app. As for Atlantis, it simply does not meet the OP's needs.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 04:33 AM   #20
teitoku
macrumors member

Quote:
The OP needs terminal access to a bulletinboard. For this task, Savitar is not as good as the Terminal. Savitar cannot approach MacWise, severely blunting its price advantage over the terminal emulator app. As for Atlantis, it simply does not meet the OP's needs.
Yeah, judging from the screenshots....they're worthless. I'm not looking for a simple telnet app; I want full ANSI art.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 04:07 PM   #21
teitoku
macrumors member

So does anybody know of an OS X that'll work FOR CERTAIN? And maybe a tip or two on how to set it up?

Here's a huge list of BBSes that should be useful for anybody who wants to help: http://www.dmine.com/telnet/
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:09 PM   #22
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
So does anybody know of an OS X that'll work FOR CERTAIN? ...
An OS X what?
Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:24 AM   #23
dpuckett
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to dpuckett Send a message via Skype™ to dpuckett
Have you tried

http://mudwalker.cubik.org/
dpuckett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 05:25 PM   #24
teitoku
macrumors member

Quote:
An OS X what?
OSX CLIENT, sorry I forgot that word, but it really should be obvious by now.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 05:26 PM   #25
teitoku
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpuckett View Post
No.
Have you? Please try it first.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store