Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 29, 2006, 09:38 AM   #1
macjimmy
macrumors newbie

dead iMac G4 board

My iMac G4 1.0mHz has a bad motherboard and supposedly bad HD. It started clicking and wouldn't boot, took it in they thought it was the HD, replaced, still wouldn't boot, decided it was the motherboard too. Anyway, this is a 17" with SD, 512 of RAM and a airport extreme card. Apple wants $599 for a trade on the board. I wouldn't mind giving a go on replacing the HD myself, but trying to replace the board and HD seems beyond me. What would you all suggest?
Sell for parts, hang on in hopes of finding cheap motherboard and repair or try selling all as is? The thought of not having my beloved iMac is killin' me.
macjimmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 09:22 PM   #2
nate13
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to nate13
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjimmy View Post
My iMac G4 1.0mHz has a bad motherboard and supposedly bad HD. It started clicking and wouldn't boot, took it in they thought it was the HD, replaced, still wouldn't boot, decided it was the motherboard too. Anyway, this is a 17" with SD, 512 of RAM and a airport extreme card. Apple wants $599 for a trade on the board. I wouldn't mind giving a go on replacing the HD myself, but trying to replace the board and HD seems beyond me. What would you all suggest?
Sell for parts, hang on in hopes of finding cheap motherboard and repair or try selling all as is? The thought of not having my beloved iMac is killin' me.
you could sell your machine for parts (ram, sd, hd, w/e) and buy mine (same exact thing, cept theres 512 on the inside, so you can add an extra gig if you must ) for the 600. you should recoup about 200 from the sale of it in nonworking condition, if that. just an idea though! im really sorry to hear about this mishap, i hear thats really really rare!.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 09:27 PM   #3
kgarchar
macrumors 6502

if there was any way to hook the imac monitor to a computer (vga or dvi) I'd take this off of your hands and turn it into my project...

I want to shove a nice new mac mini into the base, the iMac G4 is by far my favorite design from apple yet.
kgarchar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:01 PM   #4
nate13
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to nate13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarchar View Post
if there was any way to hook the imac monitor to a computer (vga or dvi) I'd take this off of your hands and turn it into my project...

I want to shove a nice new mac mini into the base, the iMac G4 is by far my favorite design from apple yet.
there is a vga out... it mirrors the current display (can of course be modded to extend.) im not sure if you could somehow use that hookup, rewire it (attach it to the monitor) and go from there... cool idea though.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 09:27 PM   #5
macrumors regular

You cant make the monitor work with another computer without a very expensive third party board.

Part it out on eBay and buy a new one, my man!
0010101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs