Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

houseoffive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
hi professional ipod users, I am a novice inneed of some help, i am trying to stop world war three!! i have two teenage sons one with an ipod mini and one with an ipod shuffle, they share a packard bell laptop with itunes installed on it, the problem occurs when son number one imports songs onto the playlist/library and when son number two updates he gets all son number one's music, to make matters worse one is into heavy rock and the other into dance, please please help before the fistycuffs begin!

all and any possible solutions that don't involve huge cash outlay extremely welcome.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Your title says "2 iPods 1 iTunes - Can they be shared?" but you kind of answered your own question. You can sync one million iPods to the same library, but if you delete a song off of itunes then when you update you iPod it will be deleted off your iPod as well. I am not sure what you are asking.

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
sounds like auto sync is on.
there is an option to manually manage music.
there is a box to check.
where that box is depends on the version of iTunes.
could be in preferences or if iTunes 7, when iPod selected, the summary page has the box to be checked.

when manually manage music is on, each user has to manually add or delete songs, playlists.

linkboy

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
You might want to setup iTunes to manually manage a library (as opposed to automatically).

To change it, go to edit-preferences-ipod
(be sure to have an ipod connected, otherwise the ipod options don't show up).

This is how I use multiple iPods on my computer.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
the only issue with doing it manually is that you have to select each song/album/playlist EACH time you want to update that certain iPod. Unless theres another way I didnt know about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.