Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

View Poll Results: Will you sign up for .Mac now that .Mac webmail has been upgraded?
Yes 1 2.38%
No 17 40.48%
I'm already a .Mac member 20 47.62%
maybe/undecided 4 9.52%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 29, 2006, 09:50 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Will you sign up For .Mac now that .Mac webmail has been upg...

Category: Polls
Link: Will you sign up For .Mac now that .Mac webmail has been upgraded?
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Oct 29, 2006, 09:59 PM   #2
mattniles007
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mattniles007
Yes I was thinking about it before the upgrade. So this is just as good a reason as any to upgrade.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:04 PM   #3
IEatApples
macrumors 6502a

I don't think so... I want to, but it's still too expensive.
IEatApples is offline   0
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:13 PM   #4
justflie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEatApples View Post
Just buy it on ebay, you can get it at about half price. I bought my subscription on ebay for about $50 plus shipping.
justflie is offline   0
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:25 PM   #5
mattniles007
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mattniles007
Quote:
Originally Posted by justflie View Post
Just buy it on ebay, you can get it at about half price. I bought my subscription on ebay for about $50 plus shipping.
Really I didnt think of that. Thank you.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:38 PM   #6
Some_Big_Spoon
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Some_Big_Spoon
I have it now, and other than the email address lock in, I don't have much use for it. The webmail's nice, but I have my laptop with me 99% of the time, so it's redundant.

How ya gonna wow me, Apple?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 10:42 PM   #7
bluebomberman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Big_Spoon View Post
How ya gonna wow me, Apple?
Which goes to show, I guess, that just because it's made by Apple doesn't mean that it's always worth the $$$.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:10 PM   #8
ibook30
macrumors 6502a

I think it's a step in a new direction- soon more and more will be available on line and less dependant on the users location. Email on line has been around, but now we are seeing personal photo libraries and other sources that used to be confined to the single users machine. Web based services will lead to the opportunity to access all of our content from any computer - simply and easily.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:13 PM   #9
Danksi
macrumors 68000

I went through two different .Mac trial accounts, with the main aim of using sync'd Safari bookmarks (I already use Gmail) - unfortunately I never got it to work properly.

I've since switched to Firefox and it's Google Browser Sync plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibook30 View Post
Web based services will lead to the opportunity to access all of our content from any computer - simply and easily.
Isn't that Google Desktop's aim?
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:17 PM   #10
Bill Gates
macrumors 68020

I would if I weren't on a tight budget.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:22 PM   #11
brepublican
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yeah, I mean, just cos they updated it doesn't make it any more economical for those of us who don't have it cos of $$. Throw on some kind of student pricing option, maybe reduce it to like $50, then we can talk.
"I've got some eggs here. the powerbook is in the car. i was going to make an omelet on my way home."
brepublican is offline   0
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:23 PM   #12
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

This change puzzles me. I've no complaints about the new interface, but was this an area that was really holding back people from subscribing or renewing?
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:54 AM   #13
spicyapple
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Agreed. If .Mac webmail is all that one needs, it's too expensive compared to free services from Google.
spicyapple is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:44 AM   #14
chefscientist
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to chefscientist
Suggestion for Apple

I am a .mac member. The new interface online doesn't do much for me since I never go online to get my mail.

I think that Apple should give Pro Care privleges to it's .mac members.

Imagine paying $99 for .mac, and $99 for Pro Care, now that is just overboard on anyones budget!
chefscientist is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:02 AM   #15
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
it looked like a good thing to add a poll to
longofest is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:42 AM   #16
Buschmaster
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Buschmaster
I like some of the things. I will probably get it when Leopard comes out. I like the idea of the widgets being dynamically updated from webpages, and I'm pretty sure those are linked to .Mac.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:45 AM   #17
lmalave
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lmalave Send a message via MSN to lmalave Send a message via Yahoo to lmalave Send a message via Skype™ to lmalave
Already have .mac, now give me an iPhone to sync with it :)

I've already been a .Mac subscriber since I got my first G3 iBook. It's good to see that Apple is still investing in it, it seems like updates to it have been almost non-existent. I think Apple has something up their sleeve. I think this is tied in with the iPhone release. I think Apple is upgrading the web version of their software ahead of a future PDA version of Mail/Address Book/iCal/iPhoto

Here's what I'm picturing on the iPhone, at least on the larger "PDA" version:

Mobile Mail client (with IMAP compatibility, with .Mac integration in mind but suitable for any POP3 or IMAP mail server)
Mobile Address Book (pretty much like all other phones have, but with slick interface)
Mobile iCal (again, pretty much like other phones/PDAs have)
Mobile iPhoto (can publish slideshow directly to .Mac from pictures you've taken on phone)
Moblie iBlog (or some other mobile blogging software)

One of the major benefits .Mac/iPhone integration will have is the ablility to sync/publish directly to .Mac. This applies not only to Mail, Address Book and iCal, but also to publishing slideshows and blog entries directly from the iPhone.

It'll be digital nirvana, I tell ya!

I expect we might also see the following updates to .Mac ahead of the iPhone release:

- Web 2.0 update to the web iCal (to bring it up to par with what competitors are offering, in preparation with a major .Mac marketing push after the release of the iPhone)
- Ability to publish blog entries by email (this will essentially enable publishing blog entries from an MMS enabled iPhone, since sending an MMS message to an email address is essentially the same as sending an email).
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:14 AM   #18
skoker
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to skoker Send a message via Skype™ to skoker
Quote:
Originally Posted by John from the linked article
I bought the .Mac package (about $100) a year ago and Attempted to install it. The whole package, including support, was so flawed that I decided I didnít want to install it. I tried to get my money back from CompuServe, and then Apple. No way!

I still have the lousy box in the closet; Iím out a hundred bucks, and I nearly dumped Mac for a PC because of the whole nasty mess. It left an indelible scar.

wouldnít touch .Mac again with a ten foot pole. Whenever Iím asked if Iím a .Mac user, I always relate my horror story. I wouldnít recommend that crap to my worst enemy. NO MORE .MAC ó EVER!!!
Emphasis mine- I hope to god this guy meant CompUSA, because if I worked at CompuServe and got a call bitchin about .Mac, I'd have to squirt Pepsi out of my nose and onto my desk.
skoker is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:15 AM   #19
Squonk
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmalave View Post
I've already been a .Mac subscriber since I got my first G3 iBook. It's good to see that Apple is still investing in it, it seems like updates to it have been almost non-existent. I think Apple has something up their sleeve. I think this is tied in with the iPhone release. I think Apple is upgrading the web version of their software ahead of a future PDA version of Mail/Address Book/iCal/iPhoto

Here's what I'm picturing on the iPhone, at least on the larger "PDA" version:

Mobile Mail client (with IMAP compatibility, with .Mac integration in mind but suitable for any POP3 or IMAP mail server)
Mobile Address Book (pretty much like all other phones have, but with slick interface)
Mobile iCal (again, pretty much like other phones/PDAs have)
Mobile iPhoto (can publish slideshow directly to .Mac from pictures you've taken on phone)
Moblie iBlog (or some other mobile blogging software)

One of the major benefits .Mac/iPhone integration will have is the ablility to sync/publish directly to .Mac. This applies not only to Mail, Address Book and iCal, but also to publishing slideshows and blog entries directly from the iPhone.

It'll be digital nirvana, I tell ya!

I expect we might also see the following updates to .Mac ahead of the iPhone release:

- Web 2.0 update to the web iCal (to bring it up to par with what competitors are offering, in preparation with a major .Mac marketing push after the release of the iPhone)
- Ability to publish blog entries by email (this will essentially enable publishing blog entries from an MMS enabled iPhone, since sending an MMS message to an email address is essentially the same as sending an email).
I like your vision!!! If .mac + iPhone offer 50% of this from the start, I'll be there with cash in hand for an iPhone!! I hope you are tuned into Apple's plan...
Squonk is offline   0
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:48 PM   #20
rowanhall
macrumors member

its a bit pricy for me... and i already have enough mail accounts!

can you manage pop3 accounts from the new webmail interface? can you sync the contents of Mail.app with .Mac?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:52 PM   #21
vi2867
macrumors 6502

I don't see myself paying $99 a year to have these services...

I use google for most of the services...
Old Oct 30, 2006, 03:24 PM   #22
Poff
macrumors 65816

Free mail?

I would like it if Apple offered a 20mb mail-adress free, and you could pay for the rest of the package. a .mac mail is the coolest adress you can get on the internet, but it doesn't help much when you have to pay $99 for a mail-adress.. :/ For now I'll use Gmail, even though I'm sceptical towards Google. I hope to find an easy-to-remember equivalent soon..
Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:03 PM   #23
cloudnine
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to cloudnine Send a message via Skype™ to cloudnine
with the fear of sounding like a snot, I kinda have to wonder why so many people think that $99 a year is so horrendously expensive. It's basically like having a 1gb flash drive, an email address, a syncing address book/calendar and a way to share photos online... and it's only about the price of taking your significant other and yourself out to a nice dinner. come on now, you people have to do that more than once a year, right? o_O

regardless, the new online .mac mail is pretty sweet... nothing all that amazing, but cool nonetheless
cloudnine is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion