Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
WTF is this thread about? Buying a.....finger?

I don't get it, either. That pic doesn't look abnormal to me. I had a friend once who could bend all 8 fingers back to touch his wrists, now that was a little much.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
As a guy who saw the picture, and picked up a post-it pad about that size, I can tell you, fingers *do* bend that way. Nothing to be worried about.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
yes, but he is bending his finger at the knuckle, not at the joint that binds it to the hand.

As a hand model, I can tell you: fingers do not bend like that.

Yes they do. Do you all not see the way the knuckle is pointed outwards? That means that the joint is bending normally, only the finger itself is twisted slightly where it meets the hand. This is really only possible when pressing it against the middle finger, or the object you are holding, like she is clearly doing in the image.

I will admit, however, that it does like rather painful... ;)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Yes they do. Do you all not see the way the knuckle is pointed outwards? That means that the joint is bending normally, only the finger itself is twisted slightly where it meets the hand. This is really only possible when pressing it against the middle finger, or the object you are holding, like she is clearly doing in the image.

I will admit, however, that it does like rather painful... ;)

The knuckle isn't pointed out that far.

I tried out what you were describing because I'm at home sick and waiting for Barry Manilow to come on TV.
So I drew an iPod on some post-it notes and awkwardly took a picture or two.
(ignore the overly-fancy nails. they're for halloween.)
Picture 1.jpeg
Here, just holding it normally. As can be seen, the portion of the finger from hand to knuckle are parallel.

Picture 2.jpeg
and here, I tried to bend my hand around like in the picture. (It hurt like all get-up and my tendinitis is flaring up due to the weather. owie!) the fingers are no longer parallel in the hand-to-knuckle section.

what it looks like happened to me, the person doing the modeling was covering up too much of the iPod's "face" and the graphic guy moved the finger over just enough so that it would be shown.

I've put way too much thought into this and hurt myself in the process. it looks like my work here is done.

*pops aspirin and walks away*

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.

Everything about that post made me laugh, but it proved very little. Everyone's body is different, and while my fingers don't typically look like the person in the ad's fingers when I hold things, I don't have any problem moving them in that way if I purposely try to. This is why I say it's not a deformity, just kind of weird. If I had a camera, I'd demonstrate. :)

That said, you would think whoever took this shot would look at it and go "Hm, that looks kind of awkward. Perhaps I should use a different shot...". :eek:

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
...like she is ...
just noticed this now. I thought the person in the pic was a man?

That said, you would think whoever took this shot would look at it and go "Hm, that looks kind of awkward. Perhaps I should use a different shot...". :eek:
definitely! he should know ahead of time that after the pic gets released that it'll be picked apart by mac rumor sites! :)

Definitely not, they should have katie ta achoo's hands. :p
I think the NDA would just about kill me. :)

L

Lau

what it looks like happened to me, the person doing the modeling was covering up too much of the iPod's "face" and the graphic guy moved the finger over just enough so that it would be shown.

That's what I thought too — the knuckle looks a bit smudgy and weird.

(I call FAKE! ;) )

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The knuckle isn't pointed out that far.

I tried out what you were describing because I'm at home sick and waiting for Barry Manilow to come on TV.
So I drew an iPod on some post-it notes and awkwardly took a picture or two.
(ignore the overly-fancy nails. they're for halloween.)
View attachment 60951
Here, just holding it normally. As can be seen, the portion of the finger from hand to knuckle are parallel.

View attachment 60952
and here, I tried to bend my hand around like in the picture. (It hurt like all get-up and my tendinitis is flaring up due to the weather. owie!) the fingers are no longer parallel in the hand-to-knuckle section.

I've put way too much thought into this and hurt myself in the process. it looks like my work here is done.

*pops aspirin and walks away*

Mmmm, nice scratchy nails... :D

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
What is also being missed is the pressure on the man's hand in the pic in question. He is pushing against that finger, that is why it is at a weird position in relation to the other fingers. The pushing/pressure is to open the Shuffle clip to hook it onto the jeans.

Presumably the strange looking angle is just the way his finger is, and the fact that it is twisted slightly.

And yes, Katie's hands would be a better choice. :D

someguy

macrumors 68020
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
What is also being missed is the pressure on the man's hand in the pic in question. He is pushing against that finger, that is why it is at a weird position in relation to the other fingers. The pushing/pressure is to open the Shuffle clip to hook it onto the jeans.

It wasn't missed. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.