Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
Hopefully I posted it in the right forum ;)

let me know if you like/hate/understand the concept...

Cheers
2worlds.jpg

Sutekidane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
I don't totally get the concept, maybe I should put more thought into it, but I do like it! :)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Really like the bolted sky thing, the children however seem to be floating very high above the ground especially when compared to the flower (maybe i missed something) and the plane at the top left seems a bit out of place like it doesnt belong.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
i'll take a stab it seems to say something about protecting children from war??! is that right, i don't get the sky image in the middle if thats the case unless it has to do with the environment too

dogbone

macrumors 68020
@switters

A few criticisms. Firstly I'm not too sure what is meant to be purposely surreal and what is bad execution. As has been pointed out are the people meant to be floating.

But what I find most upsetting to my delicate sensibilities, is the clashing colours. Bright primaries with earth shades. I also think the black is a bit stark, maybe some stars would help.

But then again I have no idea what your brief is.

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
2worlds3.jpg

The floating thing corrected.

It's about beig a kid, being sheltered from the bad things in life, war, etc...

Our parents (my) parents made belief that life was rosy when I was a kid, it was in a sense. Behind the hinges of happiness and beautiful skies was reality; reality isn't alway that good.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
What's the black line in the middle with the metal looking things attached to it?

I don't even know where to begin understanding this one, but I'm not the type to go around analyzing art either.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!

Our parents (my parents) made belief that life was rosy when I was a kid, it was in a sense. Behind the hinges of happiness and beautiful skies was reality; reality isn't alway that good.

after reading that, i understand your concept. I like it :)

i think there is too much contrast between dark and light, thougj. Maybe some brown or more red in the top would suit better?

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
yep i agree the black needs some stars. plus they would help with the distiction between light and dark you are going for. :)

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
I love it.

I too was sheltered by my parents - you could argue that any good parent would of course want to shelter their kids from the hatred in the world. It rears its head all too clearly though as you approach teens and beyond.

Still, I've since sheltered myself since in a way. There are some news stories I can't read, and I choose to live in a small town that is far enough away from a city so that we're enclosed in a nice residential pocket, but close enough so i'm within reach of activity.

I think most people censor their world.

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
Thanks for the response...

I will def. work on that dark upper rectangle; it's supposed to be dark and non integrated with the beautiful scene down below. But, I will change it somehow.

As for the 'tofu eating hippy' comment, I hope that you are not judging me by my profile picture, as it is a photo montage of a male and a female. pretty convincing huh.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO

Our parents (my) parents made belief that life was rosy when I was a kid, it was in a sense. Behind the hinges of happiness and beautiful skies was reality; reality isn't alway that good.

I think it'd be much better if rather than having (essentially) three thoughts/pictures stacked on top of one another which doesn't give the sense of depth (kids at the bottom, doors with clouds on them, and then negative things in the world at the top), you should make it look more three dimensional. Work with the doors and have one of them be opened somewhat, and in front of the doors are the kids and in the background behind the doors is the negative stuff.

As it is...it's just three thoughts stacked on top of one another.
The work you've done with reflections and texture work is good...I just don't think it meshes together well in terms of the point or idea you're trying to portray.

..just my thoughts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.