Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I don't know how many of you use Wordpress, but I just released my first theme for it and wanted to share it here. I've used Wordpress for a long time now, but didn't build a theme from the ground up until I made Atlantis back in May of this year. I got a lot of requests to release it from people looking for a bold dark theme, so I turned some of my hacks into real options, and once I had moved my site onto my next theme (because I do want my site to be unique) I decided to release Atlantis.

Depending on how familiar you are with Wordpress themes, you may quickly notice that this has a few more options than most basic themes: the multiple color schemes (six included -- you can set any color scheme for any page on your site via custom post fields), the easy way you can specify which of your pages appear in the top nav bar (again by using a custom field in your post) or bottom nav area, the customized (tamed) page navigation, and the easy CSS overrides to further customize a page (again via custom post fields). I put a lot of effort into making this appealing and easily customizable for many people without touching the code. There's also a Recently Updated Pages function that inserts a nice subtle announcement on the home page when one or more of your pages have been updated within a specific timeframe (defaults to 1 week; can be changed or turned off).

If you're not into dark themes then this may not be your thing, but if you are then you may like it. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback on it so far (not to mention months of "please release your theme!"). Please check the README file for lots more information about how exactly to use the different features.

Screenshot and download: http://rogersmj.com/design/wordpress/atlantis

If you find any problems, please just contact me via my site or post them here. Again, this is the very first thing I've ever released for Wordpress, and I tried to make sure I had everything right but if I missed something please let me know. Enjoy!

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
The screen shot doesn't seem to display right for me. Can't you make it just a normal image? Notice that I'm scrolled all the way to the top, but I cannot see the top of the screen shot!

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 140

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I quite like it, looks cool. Dont know what wordpress is but i like looking a pictures.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
The screen shot doesn't seem to display right for me. Can't you make it just a normal image? Notice that I'm scrolled all the way to the top, but I cannot see the top of the screen shot!

Sorry about that! I use an iBox script for fancy image loading, and I guess it doesn't work well at low res. I'll have to look into that. I added a link below the screenshot to pull the image up normally.

I quite like it, looks cool. Dont know what wordpress is but i like looking a pictures.

Wordpress is, at its core, a very nice system for blogging. It's PHP/MySQL so it will run on just about any web server, and has tons of plugins and themes so people can customize it to do just about whatever they want. It makes publishing things to your web site very easy.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
UPDATE: Added a live preview so you can view the theme in action directly on my site. Also fixed a minor problem with sidebar text color; updated to version 1.01.

chepistolas

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2005
Chicago
It looks nice

Let me ask you, how did you approach making your own theme/design? I want to do the same for mine, I just thought about the idea like an hour ago. :)

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Well, first I sketch out my ideas in a graphics program (I use Fireworks -- the best tool for web layouts). This allows you to quickly change colors, positions, etc, without doing any code, and immediately see what you have.

Once I have something I like, I code the XHTML/CSS for it into a static page. In other words, I make an exact replica of my sketch but this time using code. This is the stage where you "slice" out the images you need from your mockup (like for backgrounds and stuff).

Once you have a sample page (or two), the real fun begins. This is where you start inserting it into your Wordpress theme files. Basically I keep my XHTML/CSS demo code open and then pull up the skeleton files for another Wordpress theme (like the default one, or one I've made before), paste my XHTML in the appropriate spot, move all the function calls (like for getting titles, posts, stuff like that) into the appropriate spots in my code, and then delete the original theme's XHTML. Of course you have to put all the CSS you made into the style.css file for that theme. Then I start tweaking the Wordpress function calls to get exactly what I want.

I suggest you go read up more on the anatomy of a Wordpress theme. There's a number of articles out there; check them out so you understand exactly what all the files mean and what "The Loop" is.

cookie1105

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2006
London, UK
Really nice dark theme you have there. I like the strong colours on the dark background, and I think the colour selector is a great idea. Well done.

I'm currently running my own spiced up version of hemmingway for my photoblog and am doing a pep-up of the water theme for a friend of mine. I am thinking about coming up with my own theme someday soon, but my php skills aren't great:)

James Cevert

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2011
3D slider doesn't work

I really like that theme of yours but I can't make the 3D slider work. I've been trying for the last couple days and it is driving me crazy.. Do you think it is due to the new wordpress updates? I would really appreciate it if you could share any tips to get me out of this frustrating situation.

PS: you must be wondering why you don't get any mail on your website: your CAPTCHA on http://rogersmj.com/about/contact/ doesn't work.

5un5h1n3

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
Trouble with welcome message in Atlantis theme

Hi Matthew

Since you created this theme, I have a little something to ask if possible.

I already have a post welcoming my guests to my site and to add a welcome title and message seems a bit to much as I have already done this last month... it would be like going backwards, if you know what I mean.

Is there a way to delete this welcome title entirely and it's message in the theme Stylesheet (style.css)? I'm sure that it's possible since you made this from scratch, for sure there's a way!

Sorry for contacting you through MacRumors, but your site Captcha leaves me no other choice!

Thanks for you help and time...awaiting your answer as soon as possible

- M -

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.