Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
Getting my C2D MBP soon, and ditching my MacBook, and am stocking up on classical themed games to fuel my ancient history fix, Age of Empires III included.

But I have't found any info on how it should run, or even how it ran on the last MBPs. So, how should it run on the new C2Ds, or the X1600 in general?

DodgerBlue

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
I'm definitely going to play Age III on my new MBP but probably under bootcamp since I bought the XP version a while ago. Since it runs on my old dell it should do fine under XP. Anyone play many windows games in bootcamp/parallels on their MBP?

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
Super duper. I always game with Bootcamp because Windows usually squeezes plenty more fps out of games than OS X.

If it runs fine on a CD MBP, I guess we can expect a small increase on the C2Ds as well.

It's a really stunning game from the screenshots I've seen. I can't wait!

nmamur

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2006
new york
i love age of empires!
its one of the few reasons i was sad i didnt have windows...
this is amazing!
wonder why i didnt know about this....

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
i love age of empires!
its one of the few reasons i was sad i didnt have windows...
this is amazing!
wonder why i didnt know about this....
Age of Empires is out for OS X as well. (Well the original might be Classic. I know the other ones are PowerPC OS X.)

thiagofll

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
MIAMI BEACH, FLORIDA
What is Age of Empires about? Is it a good game?

I am interested in getting a good game that I will not get tired of. I like the Nintendo style of games better than xbox/ps2 games....

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
never liked AoE series, even when i was on a pc, just not good at realtime,

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
Civilization then.

Age of Empires is one thing, but Civilisation...

I got IV a couple weeks ago. I never thought it was possible to be so addicted to a game. It is just... sublime.

What is Age of Empires about? Is it a good game?

I am interested in getting a good game that I will not get tired of. I like the Nintendo style of games better than xbox/ps2 games....

Age of Empires is a series of games in the Real Time Strategy genre, which means the game world is a landscape and somewhere on it your chosen race/civilisation/tribe sets up camp, which grows larger, begins producing military units, or setllers that can found new towns, and so on. Elsewhere on the board are other races/civilisation doing exactly the same thing, and the aim of each game is to either wipe them out, wipe one in particular out, perhaps by allying with another, or destroy/create a particular target.

Age of Empires is a historically themed RTS - the first was set in the ancient world, the second in medieval times and this one during the colonisation of the new world, which is your larger objective as one of a bunch of European nations. AoE III has had some great reviews, and is particularly stunning to look at for an RTS, so you should definately give it a look.

al3000

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2005
England
I can't believe I only just found out AoE 3 is available for mac. I used to love 1 & 2 on the pc, and a friend of mine was recently playing 3 on his pc..looks great! I was going to buy it on amazon but delivery is 1-2 weeks :(

rootuid

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2006
I can't believe I only just found out AoE 3 is available for mac. I used to love 1 & 2 on the pc, and a friend of mine was recently playing 3 on his pc..looks great! I was going to buy it on amazon but delivery is 1-2 weeks :(

Delivery is one to two weeks because it hasn't been released yet! Can nobody read!

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Wait for mid-November. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.