Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medicaptain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
I purchased a 1.33 G4 14 inch ibook exactly 13 months and eight days ago. The logic board is toast as of today. i.e. flashing colors and flickering screen. I took it back to where I purchased it and many other apple items {powermacpac it Portland Oregon}...and I was told that it was a $600 dollar repair...unbeleivable...I now have a $1050 dollar paperweight.
I called apple support to find out if they would fix the computer since we were so close to the warranty end date...absolutely NO luck.
In the end...I shoulda bought applecare...
Any ideas out there?.....or am I S.O.L.?

thiagofll

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
MIAMI BEACH, FLORIDA
Try this company or search for other ones online until you find a reasonable price. Type in google ibook repair or mac repair until u find something. I can just imagine...I would be freaking too...Repair your laptop sell it and buy a new faster macbook...you will be short around $500-700 depending on the condition of you ibook (saying you pay $400 for repair), Buy from Amazon they sometimes have rebates plus you pay no taxes. If you wish to buy AppleCare you can contact apple and buy it later on...Good Luck...Here's the site:

http://www.macservice.com/?gclid=CKm7lrXVo4gCFSGTYAodFh3tVQ

PS: THE WEBSITE I GAVE YOU CHARGES $450 FOR LOGIC BOARD REPAIR, CHECK IT OUT

http://www.macservice.com/ibg4.cfm

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
AppleCare is a must on laptops...

what he said. sorry my friend. this unfortunately happens with all brands of laptops. another great thing for laptop peace of mind is http://www.safeware.com/

it protects you against laptop theft or damage. so if it's stolen or dropped. things applecare doesnt cover, you are covered.

i am getting both for my new MBP which is coming this week. Applecare + Safeware = Peace of mind and coverage for all possibilites.

Medicaptain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
Thanks..

I like the safeware program for sure....but Im considering never buying another thing from apple....I guess I have a case of "sour APPLE's"...pun very much intended here.

and apple?...if your reading this....I sold my stock today in YOUR company and will not continue to tout the "greatness of mac's" with my co workers and employee's. I personally was responsible for 14 people making "the switch" in the last 6 months alone. Now I have some serious egg on my face.

oh well....buyer beware I guess

To me...applecare should just simply come standard if you sell what you believe to be the best item in your market...but for this day and age...that is simply asking too much to take care of your best customers.

thiagofll

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
MIAMI BEACH, FLORIDA
I like the safeware program for sure....but Im considering never buying another thing from apple....I guess I have a case of "sour APPLE's"...pun very much intended here.

and apple?...if your reading this....I sold my stock today in YOUR company and will not continue to tout the "greatness of mac's" with my co workers and employee's. I personally was responsible for 14 people making "the switch" in the last 6 months alone. Now I have some serious egg on my face.

oh well....buyer beware I guess

To me...applecare should just simply come standard if you sell what you believe to be the best item in your market...but for this day and age...that is simply asking too much to take care of your best customers.

I, do not defend Apple or any other coorporation for that matter, but Apple's customer service is one of the best out there. Side by side with HP. I've had Sony Vaios, HPs, Toshibas and Gateway and I can seriously say they are all bad (Sony is the worst). Sony wanted to charge me for repair when my laptop was only 6 months old, they told me that " that specific hardware was not covered under warranty", that laptop never got out of my desk, was never dropped, it just shut off...Sony is all about excuses until you mention lawyer...

Anyways, Apple always assisted me both customer service and repair issue (except for those Genius people at the store, they are stuck up but I am more rude than they are so they don't mess with me)

Anyways, you are going to encounter these problems with ANY company out there specially when the warranty is up, they can give a flying f***..

Stick with Apple or HP...

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
NY
Yea, that is one thing I gotta say, Apple probably has the best customer service, if not the best. When I was originally looking to switch to a Mac, I called up my local store and the guy spent about a half hour on the phone with me just discussing the big differences between Mac and Windows when he could have been helping customers in the store. It's always a plus when you can call customer service and talk to a person who's actually in your own country. Everytime I had to call my Toshiba customer service, it was a total nightmare, couldn't even understand the damn guy. As for that $600 repair fee, maybe it is because I'm going to major in business, but look at it this way. Lets just say a logic board is $350, not sure the real cost, but a figure. That logic board doesn't install itself, it takes time and labor to install that which means a tech MUST be paid. Materials+Labor+Profit=final cost. I think a company has the right to make money. Everybody forgets to think about that when they complain about a company's fees. If it takes $600 to just buy the piece and pay your tech and you charge $600 than you wouldn't be making a penny. I guess you should have gotten Apple Care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.