Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
So my girlfriend's powerbook g4 has a crack on the "enter" key on the bottom right of her keyboard... :eek:

the key is pretty much cracked in half almost, it's so annoying - both of us have no idea how it happened?

my question - is it possible (hoping hoping hoping!) to replace a single key (the "enter" key on a keyboard? or do I have to replace the ENTIRE keyboard?

below is an image of what i'm talking about...

also, if i manage to find a single key - is it hard to replace them?

:confused:

crackedenterkey.png

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Yes, assuming it is aluminum, looks like it, just like the 12" PB the keys pop off individually. If it is still under Applecare they will replace the key, otherwise you may have to pay for it, though if you go to a store and the genius is nice, may just grab one for you anyway.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
You can get just one key replaced, yes! From the upper left corner of the one key, get your nail under there and pull up. It'll just pop out. Some Apple stores are nice if you bring it in and ask for a new key. They might just do it for you for free. Otherwise, I think some people on eBay sell per key, or you can ask in the forums!

EDIT: ah! roland.g beat me to it.

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
awesome! thank you so much - luckily we have an apple store down the road so i'll be heading down there this evening after class....it's under the 1 year warranty still so that's good :::phew::
thanks again both of you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.