Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 1, 2006, 09:03 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Trusted Computing for Mac OS X

Category: Mac OS X
Link: Trusted Computing for Mac OS X
Description:: - Mac OS X does not use the on-board TPM chip, despite rumors to the contrary.
- The most recent Macs don't even have TPM chips
- If you have a TPM chip, there is nothing preventing you from using it for your own purposes. The author provides a device driver and some software to show some of what you can do.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2006, 02:47 AM   #2
Rocksaurus
macrumors 6502a

So.. Apple doesn't use TPM to keep Mac OS X running only on Macs... So... the hackers are lying to us? I'm not saying this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, but the people who hack OS X to run on non-Apple hardware really get into the nitty-gritty of it, so I'd like to think they know a thing or two...
Old Nov 2, 2006, 03:02 AM   #3
Nermal

Well, according to that article, the new Pros lack a TPM chip. Assuming that's correct, OS X can't possibly be using it for copy protection.
Nermal is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:38 PM   #4
mduser63
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mduser63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksaurus View Post
So.. Apple doesn't use TPM to keep Mac OS X running only on Macs... So... the hackers are lying to us? I'm not saying this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, but the people who hack OS X to run on non-Apple hardware really get into the nitty-gritty of it, so I'd like to think they know a thing or two...
Amit Singh wrote the book on OS X's internal workings, literally. He knows what he's talking about.
mduser63 is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:45 PM   #5
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksaurus View Post
maybe they were going to if the hackers had got OSX86 to work reliably, as they didn't they didn't bother using it.
Eraserhead is offline   0
Old Nov 2, 2006, 01:50 PM   #6
drlunanerd
macrumors 65816

Or maybe they planned to use TPM for locking OS X to Apple hardware, but changed their mind when they got wind of the amount of interest in the hacking community to run it on generic x86 hardware (and saw that as a positive thing).

Or perhaps the TPM chip was just bundled with the Intel chipsets/reference design they used for the initial Intel Mac models and they never planned on using it.

Whatever the truth, this is a very interesting revelation. Goes to show you need your wits about you on the World Wide Web of Lies, and you shouldn't assume anything.
drlunanerd is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion