Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NatPro

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Australia
i am trying to connect my macbook to my ibook with my ethernet cord.
but every time i try to connect, my macbook seems to freeze and i get the spinning beachball..
any ideas?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Have you connected either computers via ethernet to a different system before?

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
If you're connecting the same cable to both computers, then you probably need a crossover cable, a special kind of ethernet cable. It looks just like regular cables, but the connections on one end are reversed.

It might be a good idea to pick up a cheap network switch. Then you can use regular ethernet cables.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
No, there's no need on non-vintage Apple laptopts. The ethernet cards reconfigure themselves if you connect two computers directly with non-crossover ethernet cables.

That's not the issue, although there is the possibility that the cable is faulty. Try a different one...

NatPro

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Australia
it sure can.
but for some reason it wont do it now... ill leave it over night and have a go at it later.. hopefully it will work:cool:

Avenger23

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2001
Clovis, NM
You could always start the iBook up with Target Disk Mode over FireWire if it has a FW port as a last resort...

Just an idea... :)

Avenger23

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
That will obviously only work for file transfer though. If the OP is trying to do something like LAN the two for development or internet sharing purposes, it won't work. However, if all he/she wants to do is just transfer files between them, then it's the best option :)

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Hi He :D

Yeh, running the computer you want to fetch the files off in Target Firewire Disk mode should do the job nicely. :) You'll need a firewire to firewire cable, and as long as the iBook has firewire, it should work. Connect the two laptops together, with the MacBook already started up. Start the iBook up and before the Apple logo appears, press and hold T. It should then start up into the correct mode, and just display a logo on the screen.

The iBook's hard drive will then appear on the desktop of the MacBook, and you can simply drag files across :) .

When you are finished, you MUST drag the iBook hard drive from the desktop of your MacBook into the trash, or eject it. You could lose all the data on the iBook if you don't :(

NatPro

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Australia
sweet, thanks for your help. ill give it a go and if it doesnt work, ill get back to you

ADDABAD

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2006
Help

Hello all. Here is mt problem. I just bought a MacBook and want to transfer files from my old, broken iBook. But my MacBook has nofirewire socets. So how do I get Migration Assistant to work. Please help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.