Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 2, 2006, 09:02 AM   #1
Frankf300
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Frankf300
iBook G3

I have an iBook G3 refurb on its way, should be coming Saturday. My question is about the RAM though. It's a 900mhz G3 with 256mb RAM, and 40gb HDD. It's going to be running OS X 10.3. For now I only plan to run iTunes and internet, e-mail, light stuff. I plan to max it at 640mb soon, but not right now. You think for the time being that 256mb should be enough for my iTunes and smaller things? Eventually I want to use iMovie and some other things, but by than I should be at 640. So, basically I'm just asking if at 256mb, will it still be sufficent enough to run those apps smoothly for say maybe a week or two before I get the 512 stick? Thanks.
Frankf300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 09:06 AM   #2
aquajet
macrumors 68020

For Panther, it'll probably be enough for the time being. I would limit your open applications to two max, just for sanity's sake. So iTunes plus whatever else. You can always keep your eye on memory usage in Activity Monitor. If your free memory and inactive memory are close to zero, then you'll definitely notice a slowdown. If you can keep your pageouts at zero, then you won't notice any slowdown.
aquajet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:42 AM   #3
Markleshark
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to Markleshark
Install Tiger (If you can). I have exactly the same iBook (And the same plans, 640meg o' RAM soon) and it runs tiger/dashboard/spotlight/etc rather well actually, I was surprised. I can't tell you how well iTunes runs, I don't use it on my iBook, I use an iTunes Remote to control my Mac Mini. Also running ARD, that runs well, very well. Safari is good, as is everything. It will be worlds better with the maxed out RAM, some of the animation is a bit slow, it still only takes about 30seconds to boot I don't have that much installed though.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:41 PM   #4
Frankf300
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Frankf300
Well, I just put in my order for the 512mb stick. Decided I was going to need it eventually so I just ordered it.

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth 400mhz
iBook G3 900mhz 12"
Power Mac G3 B&W 400mhz
Frankf300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs