Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple posted details about its Aperture 1.5.1 update which will be available today. According to Apple, Aperture 1.5.1 addresses more than 100 issues related to overall reliability and performance in all areas of the application.

According to comments made to MacWorld, Apple will also be releasing a fully featured 30-day demo of Aperture as well as new camera RAW support (Nikon D80, Canon XTI).

Users will be able to purchase a serial number to activate their Aperture demo and to continue to use the software beyond the 30 day trial.

Aperture was originally announced in October 2005 with a major update (v1.5) released a month ago.
Update: Aperture 1.5.1 Updater is now available as is the 30-day trial version.

Article Link: Aperture 1.5.1 Update and Demo [Now Available]

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
This is a smart move

.... Apple will also be releasing a fully featured 30-day demo of Aperture as well as new camera RAW support (Nikon D80, Canon XTI).

Isn't competition great? I'm sure Adobe forced them to offer the demo. Whatever the reason for this it's a smart way to market software, let people see it before they buy. It lowers the risk for the buyer and costs the seller nearly nothing. This should but an end to the zillions of posts that ask "Will Aperture run fast enough on my hardware?"

I'm curious to see if D80 and XTi support is an Aperture upgrade or a Mac OSX upgrade. My bet is "OSX"

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
YES!!!! Finally, a demo! Thank you so much, Apple. :D I've always wanted to play around with Aperture and see what it's like.

Edit: The demo is already online. I thought it would be up at a later date, but this is even better. :D I'm downloading it now.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I refuse to run this yet as I have only just got around to the 1.5 upgrade. 128MB seems a massive download for a problem free app for me. When I experience issues, or give it until more updates for iTunes etc are out, then I'll upgrade.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
YES!!!! Finally, a demo! Thank you so much, Apple. :D I've always wanted to play around with Aperture and see what it's like.

Edit: The demo is already online. I thought it would be up at a later date, but this is even better. :D I'm downloading it now.

Yeah, I agree - this is pretty cool. I wonder how many other times Apple has ever done something like this? I honestly can't think of any - but I'm sure there are some...

mohaukachi

macrumors member
May 28, 2003
los angeles
crap. we just bought a copy this morning to test drive and already broke the seal. boo bad timing. but still good news for everyone else.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
If your downloading the trial it will not let you install it unless you have greater than 1 GIG of RAM. Just a heads up (if anyone knows a way around this let me know!)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
According to comments made to MacWorld, Apple will also be releasing a fully featured 30-day demo of Aperture as well as new camera RAW support (Nikon D80, Canon XTI).

Users will be able to purchase a serial number to activate their Aperture demo and to continue to use the software beyond the 30 day trial.
Just what I wanted!

mrcammy

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2006
downloading now.

can someone confirm that the d80 and the xti work with aperture now?

Yes D80 raw support works for me. But it's not part of the 1.5.1 update. There is another raw.dmg package for that on the aperture site...

mrcammy

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2006
I refuse to run this yet as I have only just got around to the 1.5 upgrade. 128MB seems a massive download for a problem free app for me. When I experience issues, or give it until more updates for iTunes etc are out, then I'll upgrade.

This is a bizarre statement...

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Installed, just updating my library... could take a while.

I hope there's some performance improvements. My iMac is less that 6 months old, 1 gig of RAM and it runs so so slowly!! Love the program, get very good results, but it still can be very slow...

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
There is also an X11 update, along with Aperture in the system updater... we'll see.

ender78

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
The release a separate RAW update is a very big deal. Traditionally we have always had to wait for an OS update to get further RAW support. Sign of good things to come.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
downloading now.
can someone confirm that the d80 and the xti work with aperture now?

XTI seems to work for some people at least. I cannot get the Japanese version (the Kiss Digital X) to work at all. It's exceptionally annoying. Does anyone know a way round this (perhaps make my camera think it's an XTI or 400D instead)?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
The release a separate RAW update is a very big deal. Traditionally we have always had to wait for an OS update to get further RAW support. Sign of good things to come.

The RAW update is basically an OS update. It updates the OS level support so Preview and iPhoto gain from this as well.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I've been toying with the idea of getting Aperture. The compatibility checker says I can install it on my MacBook 2Ghz. So I'll give the trial version a go and see if I like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.