Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chopsuey158

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
USA
I recently purchased a 5G 80 gig ipod. I am surprised at some very annoying bugs that occur pretty often.

1) The iPod will occasionally (especially if left off for more than 2 hours) not give any output once turned on. I'm not talking about after it goes into deep sleep, just normal usage. It turns on and says it's playing, but no music comes through the headphones and the seconds counter does not change. I have to turn on and off my ipod several times until it will finally play...

2) The ipod will not turn off. Sometimes it will just refuse to power off. I hold down the play button and nothing happens. I let up, press it down again, and again nothing happens. I have to keep repeating this numerous times until it will finally get tired of me pressing it's buttons and shut off.

3) Some songs, those without album names (not all, just some) don't show up under the artists name. I have to search by song to find them, and then play them and when playing they show the right artist name and everything. When scrolling by artist they just don't show up. Itunes has them under the correct artist name, and when plugged into the computer browsing the ipod that way shows the songs under the artist as well...

Problems one and two I was told should be fixed by a hard reset as well as 'zeroing' the drive with disk utility prior to resetting it with itunes. I'm going to try this tonight, but if it doesn't work any ideas? Maybe the hard drive is failing?

Problem three, the mac genius wasn't able to say much about. He suggested going through and giving all my songs album names, which would take the rest of my life. I have thousands of songs without album names, and could not do this. Is there any easier solution? He thinks it is an incongruency with the ID3 tags of the songs? Or...is there a simple app that will go through and look up the albums similar to pearlyrics for lyrics or similar apps for the album art?

backsidetailsli

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2006
Toronto!
2) The ipod will not turn off. Sometimes it will just refuse to power off. I hold down the play button and nothing happens. I let up, press it down again, and again nothing happens. I have to keep repeating this numerous times until it will finally get tired of me pressing it's buttons and shut off.

i have the same prob with my 30gig

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.