Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
My dad's 1 GHz iMac G4 screen doesn't seem to work anymore. It was fine yesterday and has been running fine before this happened.

Here's a list of things I've tried:

1. Reset PRAM

2. Reset PMU

3. Took it apart and reseat the video cable and inspected it.

4. Took back cover off display and reseated that end of the signal cable.

5. Tried booting from an OS X.4 Installer DVD

Nothing worked! :(

It DOES provide video to an external display. So to me, that rules out a bad logic board. Also, the computer runs fine, just no video. It boots right into OS X just as if the display was working. Like I said, I hooked up a 17" CRT display and it works just fine there.

So what do you guys/gals think? I'm thinking its either the display or the LCD inverter board. I can get an LCD display on eBay for $200. I can get the inverter for $80. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

mklos

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Ok, I think I narrowed it down to a bad LCD inverter. The screen is actually working, but its VERY dim. If you put a flash light up to it, you can actually see what's on the screen. 99.9% of the time a new LCD inverter will fix that issue as the inverter provides power to the backlight. So if its bad, no power is going to the backlight, making it very dim.

I just bought one from http://www.welovemacs.com. We'll see in a few days if it fixes the issue. I'm fairly confident it will.

vrodion

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
Canada
No Video

Hi, I have the same problem with my IMac.
Did you fix it ? is it inverter board?:confused:
Please let me know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.