Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 30, 2005
SWiSH Zone

Has anyone bought/used software from them before?

A friend of mine asked if I've ever tried Swish but I've never even heard of it.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
I looked at swish when I was doing my foundation degree about 4 years ago.

It's very much like flash, but from what I remember it is a bit more user friendly, but I don't think it is as powerfull as Flash 8. Think of swish as Flash-Lite.

monke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Thanks for the input MagicWok. I'll probably end up just getting Flash anyway with the Web Designers Suite from Adobe.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
uggg, I'm just gonna say no. I used to work for a company where the owner used swish for everything, and get this...everything looked the same. I guess if you just need super basic flash elements to a page it can be the right solution. But if you want to build flash based website then I'm going to say learn flash 8 instead.

monke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Woah man, I was just asking a question. If you really want to rant go elsewhere, this question has never been asked on here before, unlike the other million threads about C2D MacBooks which people still give a nicer reply to. I was just wondering what SWiSH was like and if people have tried it, take a chill pill.

Thanks dornoforpyros for the input. A friend pointed SWiSH out to me the other day and it left me wondering if it was any good. I'll be getting Flash at some point or another. :)

danielbriggs

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
If you have never used flash, get the swish trial as a learning tool, use it a few hours a week, and then after the 30 days or whatever, get the flash trial, to see the step up and then buy it. That's what i'd do!

Dan :)

monke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Smart Dan, smart. I might have to try that. :D

operator

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Canada
I've used both Swish and Flash 8 ... I didn't think Swish was available for Mac. Anyway, I far prefer Flash8. Swish seemed easier to use when I had zero knowledge of either, but Flash8 was not much harder to get used to ... with the help of a few tutorials. (see here.. http://maclab.guhsd.net/flash/intro.html ...awesome link). Also, Flash 8 seems much more stable, and with better control over your animations than Swish allows. After using both, I won't be going back to Swish.

blitzkrieg79

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2005
currently USA
Actually SwishMax, which is the newest version of Swish, is a pretty good tool if you like simplicity, which doesn't mean that you can do only some basic Flash design. They have a lot of preset effects for the newbies but for the more advanced people there is ActionScript. Swish 2.0 lacked some features but SwishMax is a whole new breed, they added a lot of align options, new effects, integration with SwishVideo (it's a program that converts mpeg, avi files into flash movies). Pretty much it is flash graphics done in a much better user friendly way than Adobe Flash.

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
Wait, is there a swish version for Mac at all?

I used swish for more than 3 years and after you get to the point that you don't use those preset effects (that's what makes everything look the same) then it's a very good tool. However, since I started working on Flash 8 I never opened Swish again, Swish has a long way to go if it wants to compete with Flash 8 :)
However, one fact that no one pointed, swish is wayyyyyyyy cheaper than Flash, and that may be enough for some people to use it.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
No Swish for Mac, but with Bootcamp, I believe Swish would run rather well.

I like the simplicity of Swish, with its presets and reasonably intuitive design. I'm not a graphics person, and I was able to develop some interesting animations and effects with Swish within a few minutes of installing the app.

I'm not saying it's for everybody, but it is a lot less expensive than Flash and seems to do most of the same things. The old 80-20 rule maybe.

80 percent of the functionality and 20 percent of the cost.

Nym

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
Porto, Portugal
The problem is when you start learning more and more and wanting to do more ambitious stuff, Swish is a little limited in terms of frame-by-frame animation, nothing similar to a shape tween even. And the script.. It's easier than flash to insert but it has much less possibilities in terms of what you can do. And I was a SwishMax addict :) so, when I'm saying that Swish is limited after you've learned Flash I'm speaking from my personal experience.

Anyway, there are some very good websites made completely in Swish, just go to their homepage, you'll find links to Swish designed sites that show you what can be done with it :) And they should support the Mac platform IMO!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.