Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I made a local network between my iMac and iBook, hoping to easily transfer some pdf´s aand other documents I have on my iBook.

I couldn´t access them or find away to "see" them. How do I do that?

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Turn on Personal File Sharing in System Preferences>Sharing on one (or either) computer, then from the finder go to Networks, click on the name of the computer on which file sharing is enabled, and you'll be able to transfer files back and forth using the Drop Box (and the Shared folder).

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
You could start the iBook in Target Disk Mode, by holding down the "T" button while powering on, and then connect them with a firewire cable.

I use this way for larger files, but thought the wireless way would be quicker and easier.

PS
Thanks Telecom

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
Another option, assuming both systems are running Tiger, would be to use Bonjor. Just fire up iChat on both computers and sign onto bonjor. You'll both see each other if you're within range and you can send files via iChat at full LAN speed.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
or try bluetooth (assuming you have bluetooth on both of your macs) enable bluetooth, ensure both computers are set to be "discoverable" and make sure "bluetooth file transfer" is enabled (in the bluetooth preferences pane under "sharing"). then go to the bluetooth icon in the menu bar on the computer from which you want to send files and select "send file"...

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Turn on Personal File Sharing in System Preferences>Sharing on one (or either) computer, then from the finder go to Networks, click on the name of the computer on which file sharing is enabled, and you'll be able to transfer files back and forth using the Drop Box (and the Shared folder).

Yes, once you've enabled file sharing on one or both macs, you can use the shortcut "command + K" in Finder. Then you type in the ip adress of the mac you want to access, and the password, and there you have it:)

I have a network of 11 macs, 9 of them wireless, using an airport extreme base station, and 2 wired, and it works perfectly:)

You can also then share printers, music, videos photos etc as well:)

yoak

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Thanks guys. It works perfectly now.
PS My ibook runs 10.3, so I just enabled filesharing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.