Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 3, 2006, 02:28 PM   #1
Losium
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Losium
G5 FPS VS Intel

Okay, so here's a question for you guys...

Why is it that an Imac G5 doesn't perform nearly as well as even the Core duos in terms of FPS?

Why is it that the PPC artictechture seems to not be able to run games as well, even with a comparably speced graphics card?

I can't really seem to formulate my question:
Let's pretend we have two computers that are exactly the same speed. (Yes I know Intel macs are way faster than PPC)
WHY oh why would the PPC computer do terribly compared to the Intel?
Losium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 02:42 PM   #2
Macmadant
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losium View Post
Okay, so here's a question for you guys...

Why is it that an Imac G5 doesn't perform nearly as well as even the Core duos in terms of FPS?

Why is it that the PPC artictechture seems to not be able to run games as well, even with a comparably speced graphics card?

I can't really seem to formulate my question:
Let's pretend we have two computers that are exactly the same speed. (Yes I know Intel macs are way faster than PPC)
WHY oh why would the PPC computer do terribly compared to the Intel?
Well you Answered your own question, the intels are faster and probably have a more advanced motherboard than the G5, and games are built for intel there then ported to PPC, and some are not ported very well, also the G5 was 3 years old, intel release new chips about every 6 months, the G5 was just increasing speed, intel are improving various things with there new chips such as CD, CD2. the PowerPC platform had the potential to be a really great chip, but IBM couldn't be bothered to invest in it, and apple wasn't going to stay with dying chip that wasn't being improved
Macmadant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 03:06 PM   #3
Jasonbot
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Jasonbot Send a message via MSN to Jasonbot
Both iMacs have x1600 Graphics cards! so technically graphics performance should be similar
Old Nov 3, 2006, 05:04 PM   #4
beatsme
macrumors 65816

processor speed is about the same, but I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the Intel has a much higher bus speed. Could explain it.

EDIT: nope, I'm wrong. Bus speed is about the same. Weird. I thought the G5's used NVIDIA GeForce 5200 for graphics. Aren't the Intels different?

Last edited by beatsme; Nov 3, 2006 at 05:12 PM.
beatsme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 05:06 PM   #5
StealthRider
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to StealthRider
The G5 card was, at best, an X600 Pro, not an X1600, so that helps the CD and C2Ds I'm sure.
StealthRider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 05:06 PM   #6
Macmadant
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbot View Post
Both iMacs have x1600 Graphics cards! so technically graphics performance should be similar
i Would imagine the Graphics card is linked to the Processor in a super way in the intel, also i could have a G4 with a x1600, and it wouldn't perform the same as a intel, why, because it's a slower chip, that will have an effect on performance, the G5 is a Slower chip hence Slower Fps

Quote:
processor speed is about the same, but I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the Intel has a much higher bus speed. Could explain it

No, there bus speeds are very similar the G5 Addresses Memory and the GPU in very different ways to the Intel, also at the same clock speeds the Intel will out do the G5. The G5 in the iMacs were only single core, the CD CD2 are 2 cores on one processor(sorry if you already know), effectively 2 processors, that will also make a difference

Last edited by Macmadant; Nov 3, 2006 at 05:13 PM.
Macmadant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs