Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
After using my C2D notebook for several days i can attest to the fact that my display's brightness is uneven at lower levels and find myself moving my head around to get good visuals. I have to max out the brightness to make everything even. However, this tires my eyes quickly. So in the meantime i mostly use the notebook with my external Display.

I wanted to know if the Glossy models are affected by this or if they remedy the issue somewhat by making things more visible ish? as i wouldn't mind switching to a glossy display.

I also noticed that the matte coat seems different to the PBs in that you can see some kinda patterns on the screen making the screen somewhat...grainy...not in a huge way but its still there. I dunno its really hard to describe and maybe i just have a weird coat.

adiosk8

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
on my glossy everything looks pretty even....at work all I get is compliments on the glossy and how great the display looks. I am very pleased with it

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Yup confirms my issue. Might return and get a gossy screen instead, wish i didnt have to.

well, let me know if they let you return it, applecare and local store guy all told me its "normal".

5150 Joker

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Davis, California
After using my C2D notebook for several days i can attest to the fact that my display's brightness is uneven at lower levels and find myself moving my head around to get good visuals. I have to max out the brightness to make everything even. However, this tires my eyes quickly. So in the meantime i mostly use the notebook with my external Display.

I wanted to know if the Glossy models are affected by this or if they remedy the issue somewhat by making things more visible ish? as i wouldn't mind switching to a glossy display.

I also noticed that the matte coat seems different to the PBs in that you can see some kinda patterns on the screen making the screen somewhat...grainy...not in a huge way but its still there. I dunno its really hard to describe and maybe i just have a weird coat.

My glossy screen looks great, no uneven lighting present. I guess you matte lovers should've listened to us when we said glossy looked great. :D

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I'm thinking about getting glossy as my replacement instead of a matte. I will have to wait longer but may be worth it...

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Someone posted in the other thread about this and made a good point. Perhaps the glossy screens just seem brighter and therefore it makes it harder to notice the backlighting issue? I think overall the matte screens just have a tendency to show more back details overall. I had a thinkpad T43 that had backlighting issues as well. As long as my computer had no dead pixels and has a good case I think I will be happy.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
well, let me know if they let you return it, applecare and local store guy all told me its "normal".

Already have an RMA, thing is, i didn't say there was a defect on mine i simply told them i'd preffer to swap for a glossy screen and they said no worries.

Truth be told though its not that bad...at least mine isn't and if it came down to it i could probably live/deal with it.

Still quite torn, I KNOW the glossy screens also have uneven brightness but the coating itself remedies the issue somewhat. Which is why i arranged the swap in the first place BUT glossy screens, too much work, a little too much work. Plus returning this means i'll be macless for two weeks or more as i have to wait for the refund to come in and then re-order. Again too much work......which begs the question, Is it really worth it?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
By the way this is how my screen currently looks at full brightness, as soon as i turn it down a notch it becomes worse. Notice the dark patch across the bottom of the screen and the blotch at the top left and slightly top right. Not good. In fact i'm only using this with my Dell display and using the PowerBook if i really want to be mobile. Looks like i maybe holding on to my PB a little while longer unless......

dsc00627li7.jpg

Edit: added solid backround images..all at full brightness

dsc00628mh8.jpg

dsc00629ms3.jpg

miniguu

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
Ok, that looks noticably off... mine is slightly uneven, but once I get over 50% brightness, there isn't any discernible blotchiness.

Edited to add: The aqua background is darker along the edges...perhaps a uniformly colored image would show up the dark areas better.

jericho878

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2006
Boston, MA
Would someone whose C2D screen is "perfect" mind posting a few pictures? Without something to compare it against, it's hard to know whether an LCD is just subjectively flawed / uneven.

nitynate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2006
Clearwater, FL
"Macs are more expensive than dells"
"My MacBook is hot"
"My MacBook Pro makes a funny noise"
"I want C2D"
"Core 2 Duo isnt as amazing as i thought"
"My screen isnt as perfect as I would like it to be"

STOP COMPLANING! :)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
"Macs are more expensive than dells"
"My MacBook is hot"
"My MacBook Pro makes a funny noise"
"I want C2D"
"Core 2 Duo isnt as amazing as i thought"
"My screen isnt as perfect as I would like it to be"

STOP COMPLANING! :)
lol, complaint is what makes this world nicer. and its normal for people to have at least same level of expectation for apple, if not higher, than dell/hp/ibm, I didn't see hp's LCD has this problem.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
lol, complaint is what makes this world nicer. and its normal for people to have at least same level of expectation for apple, if not higher, than dell/hp/ibm, I didn't see hp's LCD has this problem.

Agreed. My Dell Latitude's LCD does not have any issues like on the MBP. If Dell can do it you would think Apple can too. Then again, my experience with Apple products and LCDs has never been all that great.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Deal with it. Like I did with my MacBook. I called Apple, and they said its normal (I have screen bleeding). After a while you just stop to notice it.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
funny how people with glossy screens say they're perfect. Why not take a picture of them and post it? I'm not saying you guys are wrong, i just wanna see it.

hqsbud

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2003
Would someone whose C2D screen is "perfect" mind posting a few pictures? Without something to compare it against, it's hard to know whether an LCD is just subjectively flawed / uneven.

Note that daneoni's photos look to have been taken by a fairly wide-angle lens, whereas I used a long lens to reduce barrel distortion, and so every part of the screen is viewed from virtually the same angle to the viewer.

This is on a 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with a glossy screen. The background in this shot is pure white.

Attachments

• 20061107-9379.jpg
    20061107-9379.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,655
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.