Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:38 PM   #1
SBik2
macrumors 6502a

how to shorten a song

I would like to make a copy of a song.. and then cut out about 2 mins of it so it can fit on my phone (its 5 mins 13 secs long) any way to do this?
SBik2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:49 PM   #2
Killyp
macrumors 68040

Garage Band can do it! Drag it from iTunes, onto the desktop, and then off the desktop into Garbage Band. You can then shrink the ending of it, and send it back to iTunes
Killyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:56 PM   #3
monke
macrumors 65816

Another option other than Killyp's is if you just want to cut the beginning or end off a song you can do it in iTunes. Right-click (or ctrl click) the song you want, click 'Get Info' then find options at the top. Look for the start/stop time's and enter where you want the song to start/end. Click ok, right click the song again and covert it to MP3 or AAC, which ever you have available.

That should work.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 01:00 PM   #4
cwedl
macrumors 65816

you can do it in itunes if you want to cut out music at the start or the end, by right clicking on the song and get info and options. burn to cd and then rip again. or use quicktime pro if you have it, or garage band.
cwedl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2006, 01:03 PM   #5
monke
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwedl View Post
you can do it in itunes if you want to cut out music at the start or the end, by right clicking on the song and get info and options. burn to cd and then rip again. or use quicktime pro if you have it, or garage band.
You don't have to burn it to a CD if you don't want to (See Above Post), just convert the song. Saves a CD.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 04:41 PM   #6
jonutarr
macrumors regular

export to itunes
Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:34 PM   #7
SBik2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killyp View Post
Garage Band can do it! Drag it from iTunes, onto the desktop, and then off the desktop into Garbage Band. You can then shrink the ending of it, and send it back to iTunes

How do you shrink it inside of GarageBand?

Edit: Nevermind... Its just like in iMovie
Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:43 PM   #8
SBik2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killyp View Post

How do you shrink it inside of GarageBand?
Edit:
Ok i got the begining out.. but now theres a gap of a about a minute.. How do i take out that gap inside of garageband?

Edit 2; Nevermind.. I had to move that little purple triangle over to where i wanted it.. But i would still like to know how to split a song... I.E. like in iMovie

Edit 3: How do i convert it from AIF or AIFC i think to MP3 so it can get on my phone?

Last edited by SBik2; Nov 4, 2006 at 07:59 PM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help