Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 4, 2006, 02:33 PM   #1
SkyBell
macrumors 603

How to change default folder in iTunes

I recently moved all my music on my moms computer from the regular iTunes folder to another. Then when I tried to play the music, it couldn't find it. so I went into prefrences, and changed the target folder to the new one. But when I changed it, it still couldnt find the music. I went back into prefrences, and it was still at the old folder! Is there an apply button or something I have to push?
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2006, 02:36 PM   #2
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

There are a series of steps you need to do in order to change the location of your iTunes folder.

Here is Apple's document on how to do it.

Is there any particular reason you're moving it? It certainly doesn't harm anything to do it, but usually letting iTunes do its thing is the simplest way.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 02:45 PM   #3
SkyBell
macrumors 603

My mom likes all her music in the original folder, and asked me to move mine. Its not really that big of a deal, though. It just gets annoying to have the message pop up " The song (Insert title here) Could not be used becasue the original file can not be found. Would you like to locate this file?" ANd then having to redirect it to the right folder.

EDIT: Tried what it said. See, the problem is, I have no "OK" button. it just isn't there. it looks like the prefrence window is a little to big, though...

EDIT #2: Ah, yes changed the screen resolution to 1024 x 768, and now i see the ok button.
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:24 PM   #4
TJLarson90
macrumors newbie

iTunes default folder

I too am having a similar problem.
I've recently moved my entire library to an external drive, and have changed my itunes music folder onto it to keep it synced and organized. When wired i can read and write fine, but as soon as I disconnect the drive, the itunes music folder resets to the factory default!!

This means that every time that reconnect my drive i have to reset the folder and iTunes has to recalibrate my entire library which (given the size of my library) is a lengthy process (about 5 minutes or so). I have go through this process EACH TIME i reconnect my drive. It has proven to be quite a nuisance.
Is there a way around this?
TJLarson90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store