Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 5, 2006, 04:52 AM   #1
flygirlk
macrumors newbie

Powerbook Fan

Hi all; What I used to love about my Powerbook G4 is that it's pretty much silent, unless I happen to be burning something, or running several programs at once. However, this appears to be a thing of the past, as I've begun to notice that the fan is now permanently whizzing, and while it's not loud, it's anything but silent. This happens constantly, while I'm running minimal programs, and while my computer is sitting on my desk, not on any soft surfaces. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
flygirlk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 05:09 AM   #2
Kelmon
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Kelmon Send a message via AIM to Kelmon Send a message via MSN to Kelmon Send a message via Yahoo to Kelmon Send a message via Skype™ to Kelmon
My current PowerBook G4 (old Titanium model) has a similar problem that occurs when the fans kick in. The best that I can recommend is to get them replaced at an authorised repair centre. While quotes can vary the one that I took mine to here in Belgium estimated EUR 150.00 for the job, mostly due to the labour cost since the logic board itself needs to be removed in order to remove/replace the fan.
Kelmon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 05:12 AM   #3
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Or maybe use some compressed air to blow out the dust. Of course, this'll only really work if you take it apart first. If that sounds too hard, then take it to a technician or a friend who might be able to do it for you.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 05:25 AM   #4
kretzy
macrumors 601

I've been experiencing exactly the same thing the last few months with my PB. When I've got a bit of time on my hands I'm going to have a go at what mad jew suggested. Back when I had a Dell box, it too started getting noisy so I opened it up and got the vacuum in there - did a world of good.
kretzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs