Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Expose's built-in window switcher

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: Expose's built-in window switcher
Description:: Did you know that Expose's has a built-in window switcher? I didn't. The details are buried down at the bottom of Apple's Expose web page where I missed it. Activate Expose and then hit the Tab key. It will bring all the active windows to the front app by app. A useful tool to add to other window switching options.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:14 PM   #2
nagromme
macrumors G4

Actually, it's an app switcher--it doesn't bring up individual windows from an app, but all windows from that app together. (Like Exposé F10.)

Still useful! Your Show All hot corner combined with app-switching can give you F9 and F10 functions in one. Plus a bigger look at the windows.

Related tip: if you COMMAND-Tab (instead of just Tab) in Exposé, you get the usual app-switcher bar... but Exposéified: you can jump to the app you want and see--in Exposé--just the windows from that app.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:53 PM   #3
bdj21ya
macrumors 6502a

That's pretty cool.

By the way, cmd-~ (conveniently located right above tab) cycles through the windows of the selected application (not in exposť, just when running normally).
bdj21ya is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2006, 02:40 PM   #4
bigandy
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post
That's pretty cool.

By the way, cmd-~ (conveniently located right above tab) cycles through the windows of the selected application (not in exposť, just when running normally).
not here it doesn't!
Old Nov 5, 2006, 02:57 PM   #5
Shadow
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandy View Post
not here it doesn't!
Does here! I'm always amazed at just how many shortcuts OS X has-theres always more to discover! Is there a list of all the keyboard shortcuts?
Old Nov 5, 2006, 03:03 PM   #6
trainguy77
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to trainguy77 Send a message via MSN to trainguy77 Send a message via Yahoo to trainguy77
I never knew that. I really like that.
trainguy77 is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2006, 03:35 PM   #7
Lixivial
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
not here it doesn't!
I believe he meant outside of cmd-tab and Exposé; in which case, yes, this is the default shortcut to hop between windows. In Exposé and cmd-tab, using the tilde will cycle backward while tab cycles forward. And actually that should be clarified -- it's actually cmd-` as cmd-~ would be shift-cmd-`

ChrisG, there's a list here, but it only covers the most commonly used ones. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459 -- most sites that claim "all the keyboard shortcuts listed here!" just copy and paste this information into their own formatting... though I could have sworn I remember coming across a more complete list before. Darned if I can find it now.
Lixivial is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:18 AM   #8
nagromme
macrumors G4

Let no one suggest that Apple include actual documentation with their products. Blasphemy!
nagromme is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2006, 12:53 AM   #9
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

The Exposť shortcuts are in the Mac help, and online too.
iMeowbot is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2006, 01:44 AM   #10
grahamtearne
macrumors regular

u can also switch windows in expose. in the f9 view you can use the direction arrows to move around the windows, they become highlighted, hit enter when you want to make that one active. Also using the tab hint is useful, tab through applications in expose, then use the arrows to move to a certain window and hit enter.

graham
grahamtearne is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2006, 09:26 AM   #11
TheNightPhoenix
macrumors 6502

Quote:
not here it doesn't!
Thats cause your in scotland!
Try the key next to Z not the key above the tab key.
TheNightPhoenix is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2006, 09:45 AM   #12
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
You can even use drag 'n' drop, and Cmd-Tab, and Expose together.

For example, I need to drag a file to an Interface Builder window, but I have dozens of windows open. So I start dragging the file, then hit F9 to show all windows, then hit Cmd-Tab to show the application switcher, drag the file onto Interface Builder's icon, then release, and Expose shows only IB's windows, then drag onto the relevant window, and hit space to select. Coooool.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 09:46 AM   #13
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamtearne View Post
u can also switch windows in expose. in the f9 view you can use the direction arrows to move around the windows, they become highlighted, hit enter when you want to make that one active. Also using the tab hint is useful, tab through applications in expose, then use the arrows to move to a certain window and hit enter.
There's only one occasional problem with this - sometimes the way Expose lays out the windows, there are windows you can't select via the arrow keys, you have to use your mouse. (Arstechnica highlighted this problem some time back).
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:59 AM   #14
wyatt23
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to wyatt23
macs are fun to me entirely for this reason. i'm already very productive on my mac. i love using it, and it's grreat. THEN... i find out something that is very fun to use, i.e., a hidden feature in expose!

the last shortcut that made me love my mac again was CMD+OPTION+CTRL+8

if you don't already know it, try it.
wyatt23 is offline   0
Old Nov 8, 2006, 06:53 AM   #15
hob
macrumors 68020

Kinda, um... 2004?

Sorry guys, we know
Old Nov 8, 2006, 08:02 AM   #16
steve_hill4
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to steve_hill4 Send a message via AIM to steve_hill4 Send a message via MSN to steve_hill4 Send a message via Yahoo to steve_hill4 Send a message via Skype™ to steve_hill4
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooleytoo View Post
You can even use drag 'n' drop, and Cmd-Tab, and Expose together.

For example, I need to drag a file to an Interface Builder window, but I have dozens of windows open. So I start dragging the file, then hit F9 to show all windows, then hit Cmd-Tab to show the application switcher, drag the file onto Interface Builder's icon, then release, and Expose shows only IB's windows, then drag onto the relevant window, and hit space to select. Coooool.
I often drag and drop via my F9 set hot corner. I had a discussion with someone at work once who hates (i.e doesn't understand) Macs and loves (and doesn't fully understand) Windows. He claimed similar functionality with his favoured OS and I went to show him the two attempting to do the same task. Where OSX dragged the image as I wanted, Windows added an ever helpful hyperlink instead.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion