Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boskie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2001
North Side Of Itchy Town
Mac Central

Apple Computer Inc. informed MacCentral by special invitation Monday morning of an event the company will hold in San Francisco on Monday, April 28, 2003. While the invitation was not specific on exactly what the company would announce at the event, it did narrow down the possibilities.

The invitation says that Apple will have "announcements that will be music to your ears." Apple has several music products, but speculation over the past couple of weeks has focused on three things: a new iPod; a buyout by Apple of Universal Music; and a new music service by Apple.

I hope they release everything we expect and more!!!

WWWWOOOOOOOWWWWW!

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
So, I guess this means not this Tuesday.

For the first time in what, 2 months, we won't have to speculate that ipods will be released this Tueday. :D

Looking forward to placing my order on April 28.

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
My Predicitions ...

I am going to throw out my predicitions to what will be announced. They only make logical sense. Being that Apple is introducing the Event as "Music to our Ears". It will be just that. I whole event dedicated to music and products.

First, The Apple Music Service. This is obvious.
Secondly, New iPods.
Thirdly, iTunes 4 (AAC compatibility)
Fourthly, a scaled down version of iTunes for PC.

Yes, iTunes for PC. It would be completely stupid if they did not release iTunes for PC. There is too much at stake NOT to throw a PC variant of the iTunes application to potential customers. It would completely open up their new music service to everyone. On top of that, it would sell a HELL of a lot more iPod.

I am a true Apple user, but seriously, do you think Apple would be that stupid to limit there new Music service to such a TINY percent of the Computer Market? NO. They have been planning this service for a very long time now. The last release from the iTunes developement team was quite sometime ago. My feelings are they have been working on an amazing new revamp to the iTunes application to aid this new service.

I also possiblly see either iTunes having some type of web for music integration, or a full version of Safari being released with the new music service integrated for easy access to manage music.

These are my thoughts.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
:rolleyes: Every time ThinkSecret has a big story, they're down for hours.

Could MacRumors maybe mirror their site when big stories come?

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
Re: My Predicitions ...

Originally posted by tYNS
Yes, iTunes for PC. It would be completely stupid if they did not release iTunes for PC. There is too much at stake NOT to throw a PC variant of the iTunes application to potential customers. It would completely open up their new music service to everyone. On top of that, it would sell a HELL of a lot more iPod.

I am a true Apple user, but seriously, do you think Apple would be that stupid to limit there new Music service to such a TINY percent of the Computer Market? NO. They have been planning this service for a very long time now. The last release from the iTunes developement team was quite sometime ago. My feelings are they have been working on an amazing new revamp to the iTunes application to aid this new service.

I think that yes, they will limit it to Apple users only. At least to start off with. It's all more reason to buy a Mac.

However, I do agree iTunes will have to be a major upgrade. There is no way the current version satisfies any real ability to buy music. An integrated browser using the Safari Webkit makes a lot of sense.

Any application has to have reviews, make it easy to hear samples, get recommendations based on past purchases etc etc. The current iTunes interface has no real way to offer any of that.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
I guess that means I'll probably have a ton of music to re-encode into AAC. Darn...lol.

The only way a PC itunes would ever happen is if Apple only included it with an ipod or they sell it separately to PC users. I doubt that will ever happen.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
The only way a PC itunes would ever happen is if Apple only included it with an ipod or they sell it separately to PC users. I doubt that will ever happen.

What if Apple was to sell music online? They would need a way to sell it. What if they decided not to sell if off a webpage but using software? i.e. Itunes.

So then if they were trying to make more money they would release iTunes for peecee.

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
I love living 2 blocks away from my local Apple Store, I'll be knocking down the door. Anyway, I hope that if the music service is started up, that the network is good and that they price it reasonably. Jeez, I can't wait 'til next Monday!

Floop

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Please God let it be new iPods

I've been following the rumors since... November... holding off on buying an iPod.

PLEASE let there be new iPods introduced.

I know the Think Secret rumour, personally I hope though that there is a 40Gb model, that they don't change the button placement, and that AAC (MP4) becomes an option...

regards

Floop

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
Re: Re: My Predicitions ...

Originally posted by richard5mith
I think that yes, they will limit it to Apple users only. At least to start off with. It's all more reason to buy a Mac.

Believe it or not I believe that introducing iTunes on the PC is a better approach to gaining more market share.

I have many PC (L)using friends comment on how they wish they had a iLife type of suite available on PC.

Giving PC users the taste of an Apple iApp would be a good marketing strategy. This new Apple Music service is the perfect door to do so. It will presumably be the app that will be needed to open the window (no pun intended) to the Apple Music Service and iPod hardware. Not to mention actually give those (maybe) switchers that extra push to realize how much easier the Apple world can be.

Again, I must re-state the fact that it would be suicide for Apple to invest all this money and time going into the online music service without targeting the major market share.

I am not saying they need to give the whole Apple experience to a Windows (L)user. Just enough to get the interfacing between the iPod and the Music Service.

areyouwishing

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2003
Utah
I think iTunes for PC is a very realistic dream.

Look at how well Quicktime has been accepted on the PC, why not iTunes?

Does dell still sell ipods? Just think if iTunes was bundled with EVERY dell computer, instead of MusicMatch. How many people would be like, "this itunes interface is great, i want a whole OS like this, im going to switch!" Apple has really had to become a software company since being screwed by Moto with the G5, and this is just one step further in that direction, it will ultimately be good for apple.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Windows version of iTunes

Originally posted by NavyIntel007

Right, but both approachs make sense. 1) bundle itunes software with windows ipods, for better functionality. 2) sell itunes to windows users as an alternative music organizer, for, say $29.

Both approaches will get PC users more acquainted with apple, and perhaps convince them to switch in the future. Does it undermine apple's computer sales? No, except for the few users who would buy a mac *only* for itunes, which can't be many. besides, Apple needs to make money on more than just computer sales -- if PC iTunes increased ipod sales, that would help the company.

Don't know if this will be the announcement, but a windows version of itunes makes sense to me.

andrew0880

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2002
Florida
SF?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the bulk of Apple's non-MacWorld product releases over the last couple of years (new iBooks, Xserve and iPods) taken place at the Apple campus. Having the event take place in SF makes me think something a bit bigger might be in store (and i would call the previous announcments pretty big).
Just a thought. I guess it would help if we knew the venue this announcement was begin made at.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
This is music to my ears. I just can't wait. I just they have an iPod software upgrade that allows older iPod's to play AAC files. It would be pretty senseless for them not to...

And this rumored communication device makes everything better!!!

I can't wait...

frinky23

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2003
Originally posted by Macmaniac
"announcements that will be music to your ears."
Note the S, meaning multiple things!!! I bet its iPods and a music service score!!!

Or maybe the event will be broadcasted in stereo!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
sounds like this will be a great start to the week. from all the rumors it seems like we will see new ipods, itunes, and a new music service. i think what im most curious about is the price of the music service. all i can say is "it's about time"

iJon

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Home appliance?

Weren't there rumors about a Wireless home appliance for stereo systems that would allow you to sync with iTunes on your Mac?

I wonder if anyone thinks this could the the announcement?

To me, releasing upgrades to the iPod (ie 40/60/80 Gb, etc...) would be undeserving of a such an event.

Just wanted to throw a wrench in the mix.

PS. Why is this site sooooooo slow today?

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
makes sense

Originally posted by alia
...the music service will only be available for Mac users right now...

I think this makes sense, because it allows Apple to basically beta test the service on a large scale, but not too large a scale.

Plus, it affords for a little "coveting of Macs" period, before they launch to the unwashed Windows users.

Also, if you consider the timing of this...say the Windows version came in 6 months. Theoretically, before then, we should see new Apple Power Macs (and possible PowerBooks) that are 64-bit, which will be much more compelling to potential switchers, so maybe Apple thinks this + new machines could lead to lots of switchers.

Or, maybe they just need time to get the Windows software ready. Also, to respond to earlier posts, I don't think it's automatic that Apple would have to release iTunes for Windows in order to include Windows users in this party; it's possible they could continue using third-party software (MusicMatch Jukebox), just like they do now.

All in all, this is all interesting...Apple is clearly realizing that they need to diversify in order to survive.

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
Re: Re: My Predicitions ...

Originally posted by richard5mith

Believe it or not I believe that introducing iTunes on the PC is a better approach to gaining more market share.

I have many PC (L)using friends comment on how they wish they had a iLife type of suite available on PC.

Giving PC users the taste of an Apple iApp would be a good marketing strategy. This new Apple Music service is the perfect door to do so. It will presumably be the app that will be needed to open the window (no pun intended) to the Apple Music Service and iPod hardware. Not to mention actually give those (maybe) switchers that extra push to realize how much easier the Apple world can be.

Again, I must re-state the fact that it would be suicide for Apple to invest all this money and time going into the online music service without targeting the major market share.

I am not saying they need to give the whole Apple experience to a Windows (L)user. Just enough to get the interfacing between the iPod and the Music Service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.